Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White Shoots Down Royce Gracie UFC 134 Return Rumors

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,354-3,497
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I am not upset
There isn't a quality fighter/name out there that royce could beat
Besides that point

Main card now has extra slot for a machida or big nog to fight
Ufc may still sign a gracie to fight on the card though

Post #16   4/20/11 11:03:15AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:923-654
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Royce vs Renzo would be a cool fight to see bjj, but they wouldnt fight family
Royce vs Militich

Royce vs Severn
They arent the same size, and there is weight classes now a days. I doubt Severn can make 185 nevermind 170!!!

Royce vs the guy Jake Ellenberger fought recently, because hes good at bjj, but I dont know his name so I doubt the average fan would.
Royce vs
Sakuraba or
Newton or
Matt Brown,
Amir Sadallah

these are the ww's that have name recog. and are not at the top of the division, still though, i think all of them would punch a hole through Royce Gracies head in my opinion,

Last edited 4/20/11 11:43AM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #17   4/20/11 11:27:13AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:3,342-1,837
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Not upset at all. I like the idea of just having a bjj match on Friday or Saturday for fun against whomever.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #18   4/20/11 12:46:44PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
The UFC has no intentions of Royce Gracie fighting because they cant find someone for Royce to beat...They do not wnat to embarrass him...Thats why the whole card favors brazilians in the match ups..

Are you kidding me?

Post #19   4/20/11 12:54:03PM   

otacon279

MMA Regular

otacon279 Avatar

Career:687-409
Chips:
royce trying to stay relevant ?

Post #20   4/20/11 3:27:55PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,254
Chips:
It's really a shame too. The UFC was willing to put on Elvis Sinosic vs Chris Haseman in Austraila, and Renzo Gracie vs. Matt Hughes in UAE, but not Royce vs anyone from his era in Brazil? No one wants to see Royce get killed, but finding a fight would be easy. Keith Hackney and Jason DeLucia have both said they'd love another crack at him, and it would be a competitive fight.

If the argument is that Royce isn't UFC worthy, why are we watching Ryan Jensen vs. Jason MacDonald next event, or Chris Lytle and Chris Leben on any card? It's certainly not because they're on their way to the title.

Some fights are allowed to be "just for fun" and Royce vs. anyone would be a cool facebook or spike prelim if nothing else.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #21   4/20/11 4:03:29PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
UFC has givin main card fights to people like Kimbo and James Toney who have absolutely no octagon experience and they looked pathetic. Your tellin me they cant give Royce a chance to fight in his home town after all he has done for the sport? Last time he came back they through him to the wolves to fight probably the best pound for pound fighter at that time, Matt Hughes. Hughes was dominating everyone he fought back then. I would personally love to see him fight one more time in an undercard fight, but not against a champion.

Post #22   4/20/11 4:51:30PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:5,263-3,221
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by pmoney

Posted by FastKnockout

"UFC president Dana White has indicated to MMA Fighting that the promotion has no interest in offering a fight to Brazilian pioneer Royce Gracie"

Something must have happened behind the scenes. Both Dana and Gracie said they were meeting up to discuss his return, and Dana himself said it was possible. Wonder what made them decide to have no interest in him? Probably all the negative feedback from sites like MMAJunkie and Sherdog.

EDIT:

I don't see what the issue is with Gracie fighting. I'd personally love to see it. Sure, he hasn't fought since 2007, but I'm not saying throw him in with fighters like GSP or Thiago Alves. Look at Shane Carwin, he's top five in the division and he's about to fight a guy who hasn't fought since 2006. Age shouldn't be an issue either, considering Couture is still fighting and he's three years older than Gracie.

I don't understand either. I've seen a lot of negative BS on the boards on different sites, but I would think that a Royce fight, in Brazil, in the UFC, would be a big draw.

I know I probably made my feelings clear in my previous post, but Severn-Gracie makes a lot of sense to me. Severn would be the oldest man to compete in the UFC, five years Royce's senior. They are both in the UFC Hall of Fame. It wouldn't be some BS match where Royce fights a can.

I don't know, I might enjoy the storyline more than the match though. I'd love to say I'll have to wait and see..... And who knows, maybe this is just another misleading statement from DW....

Who wants to see two guys fight that have no business fighting? There time has passed. Not to mention what is the weight differance

If MMA is anyone's business, it's Royce Gracie's. The sport wouldn't be where it is today if it wasn't for him.

Post #23   4/20/11 5:59:21PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:5,263-3,221
Chips:
I could care less if he's relevant in the division or not. I'm just saying that it would be fun watching him fight again. The guy is a living legend, basically a walking history of MMA. If he wants one last fight in Brazil, give it to him. I could care less who it is. What is Matt Brown up to? Throw him in there.

Last edited 4/20/11 6:04PM server time by FastKnockout

Post #24   4/20/11 6:04:16PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,054-1,311
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Yeah I think having Royce fight another legend or former opponent from the dark ages of MMA would have great.
Not every fight has to be relevant to the sport,and if done right the only thing thing that matters is what's relevant to the two athletes facing against eachother.
Royce has nothing to prove to the current generation of fighters but to me it would say overwhelming things if he could take out a guy like Severn of Delucia now.
Why?
Because when Royce fought them,when he fought all the guys from the original 5 UFC events none of them really understood what he was doing. the only one that seemed to have some foresight was Shamrock and at best all he could do was draw him.
For him to come back and beat another member from the old school,who has had years to adopt and learn would be a great accomplishment for Royce if he could pull it off. That's why I still want to see him fight at least one mor time.

Post #25   4/20/11 7:27:44PM   

TheAngelOfDeath

Learning to Sprawl

TheAngelOfDeath Avatar

Career:992-684
Chips:
Dana White and Zuffa owe it to Royrce Gracie for one more fight. Their entire foundation, history and legacy falls upon the shoulders of one man, who, back in 1993 took on all comers in one night tournaments, with very little rules, to lay it all one the line and show the world a new revolution. Come one Dana, don't be a money hungry douche just for once.

Last edited 4/20/11 7:36PM server time by theangelofdeath
2 total post edits

Post #26   4/20/11 7:35:15PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

It's really a shame too. The UFC was willing to put on Elvis Sinosic vs Chris Haseman in Austraila, and Renzo Gracie vs. Matt Hughes in UAE, but not Royce vs anyone from his era in Brazil? No one wants to see Royce get killed, but finding a fight would be easy. Keith Hackney and Jason DeLucia have both said they'd love another crack at him, and it would be a competitive fight.

If the argument is that Royce isn't UFC worthy, why are we watching Ryan Jensen vs. Jason MacDonald next event, or Chris Lytle and Chris Leben on any card? It's certainly not because they're on their way to the title.

Some fights are allowed to be "just for fun" and Royce vs. anyone would be a cool facebook or spike prelim if nothing else.

Ok... are you joking? Sometimes I can't tell but it didn't seem like you were.

Putting Chris Lytle and Chris Leben in a category with Royce as "fighters not belonging in the UFC" is one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen on this forum. Or any MMA forum. Or any forum. Hell, its the worst comparison I've ever heard in an argument period.

Chris Lytle ABSOLUTELY could get a title shot some day. Its not exactly a foregone conclusion, but he's been competitive enough and won enough fights against good guys that I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility. He's definitely a top 20 fighter and he's probably only a couple of impressive performances away from breaching the top ten.

If I'm not mistaken, Chris Leben was ranked in the top ten very recently. He, like lytle, may not be currently considered one of the elite in the division and yet he's still a competitive fighter who (if he strings together some impressive wins) is in with range of a future title shot.

I'll admit that this is , but reading your post made my jaw drop so low that if I didn't respond I'm not sure I would have ever been able to close it again.

And on a more related note, Royce is a legend. He built the UFC's brand. They owe him whatever he wants. They could EASILY sell this fight as the return of the legend. I would pay to see him on the main card. Its a shame that they're passing on this opportunity.

Last edited 4/20/11 8:18PM server time by bjj1605

Post #27   4/20/11 8:16:48PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:2,383-1,537
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by postman

Posted by pmoney

Posted by FastKnockout

"UFC president Dana White has indicated to MMA Fighting that the promotion has no interest in offering a fight to Brazilian pioneer Royce Gracie"

Something must have happened behind the scenes. Both Dana and Gracie said they were meeting up to discuss his return, and Dana himself said it was possible. Wonder what made them decide to have no interest in him? Probably all the negative feedback from sites like MMAJunkie and Sherdog.

EDIT:

I don't see what the issue is with Gracie fighting. I'd personally love to see it. Sure, he hasn't fought since 2007, but I'm not saying throw him in with fighters like GSP or Thiago Alves. Look at Shane Carwin, he's top five in the division and he's about to fight a guy who hasn't fought since 2006. Age shouldn't be an issue either, considering Couture is still fighting and he's three years older than Gracie.

I don't understand either. I've seen a lot of negative BS on the boards on different sites, but I would think that a Royce fight, in Brazil, in the UFC, would be a big draw.

I know I probably made my feelings clear in my previous post, but Severn-Gracie makes a lot of sense to me. Severn would be the oldest man to compete in the UFC, five years Royce's senior. They are both in the UFC Hall of Fame. It wouldn't be some BS match where Royce fights a can.

I don't know, I might enjoy the storyline more than the match though. I'd love to say I'll have to wait and see..... And who knows, maybe this is just another misleading statement from DW....

Who wants to see two guys fight that have no business fighting? There time has passed. Not to mention what is the weight differance

If MMA is anyone's business, it's Royce Gracie's. The sport wouldn't be where it is today if it wasn't for him.

Postman, to say that Severn and Gracie have no business fighting is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Two legends in the sport have no business fighting? Gracie went 11-1-1 in the UFC? Severn went 9-3? Hall of Famers? Tourney winners? Champions? No business in the UFC?

Just wanted to clarify. I would really love delve further in to this topic, but I am afraid I can't without this devolving into slanderous name calling. I love the playground too much to let it come to that.

Post #28   4/20/11 8:47:13PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
that woulda have been cool to see but not necessarily entertaining.

Post #29   4/20/11 10:57:03PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Svartorm

Ok... are you joking? Sometimes I can't tell but it didn't seem like you were.

Putting Chris Lytle and Chris Leben in a category with Royce as "fighters not belonging in the UFC" is one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen on this forum. Or any MMA forum. Or any forum. Hell, its the worst comparison I've ever heard in an argument period.

Chris Lytle ABSOLUTELY could get a title shot some day. Its not exactly a foregone conclusion, but he's been competitive enough and won enough fights against good guys that I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility. He's definitely a top 20 fighter and he's probably only a couple of impressive performances away from breaching the top ten.

If I'm not mistaken, Chris Leben was ranked in the top ten very recently. He, like lytle, may not be currently considered one of the elite in the division and yet he's still a competitive fighter who (if he strings together some impressive wins) is in with range of a future title shot.

I'll admit that this is , but reading your post made my jaw drop so low that if I didn't respond I'm not sure I would have ever been able to close it again.

And on a more related note, Royce is a legend. He built the UFC's brand. They owe him whatever he wants. They could EASILY sell this fight as the return of the legend. I would pay to see him on the main card. Its a shame that they're passing on this opportunity.

Leben is actually entertaining I must say in his fights...And yeah that comparison was way out there..Thats what I thought reading it too..glad someone actually posted it

Post #30   4/21/11 12:50:33AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3