Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shinya Aoki: It Is Certain That If I Lose, Japan Will Become A Colony Of US MMA

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
That's one way he's looking at his 4/17 Strikeforce fight against Gilbert Melendez. "Japan’s best comes to USA. This is amazing ... my technical side is evidenced by my long career. It is the same as my old fights so it does not need to be discussed. Instead, the most important point is this: ‘If Aoki loses, it is over for Japan. I love Japan and it is certain that if I lose, Japan will become a colony of US MMA. Some [fans] say that USA's MMA is the best but I do not worship U.S. MMA so this is big war to me, just like my fight against [Sengoku champion] Hirota [on New Year’s Eve]. Yes, this is a high risk, high return proposition. If I get the return, I give it to DREAM because I am a son of DREAM. The same as in the New Year's Eve fight I am thinking ‘OK, I kill you!' ... I can risk my life if needs be. I am a warrior.... I am really serious about MMA. So I do not talk about technique now, because this fight is not about technique but about instinct and heart! One tough guy will stand, another tough guy will fall. Everyone, look upon this scene."

Article

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #1   4/7/10 9:55:08AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:3,962-2,919
Chips:
EGO! EGO! EGO! Who the heck does he think he is? Lets all bow to God Shinya! The guy is a Legend in his own mind. Shinya...you are not the Sun. The world doesn't revolve around you.

Post #2   4/7/10 10:40:29AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:2,125-1,284
Chips:
I think Gilbert will knock him out but maybe I'm thinking too highly of El Nino, but he trains with people that know the rubberguard, but it's like preparing for Machida, nobody is at his level when it comes to the rubberguard. Still I expect Gilbert to get the KO on Shinya's glass chin.

Post #3   4/7/10 11:13:05AM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
know what else is superior in the US? The fighters ability to hype up a fight.

Last edited 4/7/10 12:55PM server time by rearnakedjoke
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   4/7/10 12:54:19PM   

gcraig22

MMA Regular

gcraig22 Avatar

Career:617-408
Chips:
It's too bad Aoki is going to get killed by Melendez because I would like for him to win, so he can talk smack to BJ Penn. And then get the beating of a lifetime from him.

Post #5   4/7/10 3:19:28PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
yeah, aoki had the best style ever for a ring and worst style ever for a cage. This will likely not end well, especially since I don't see melendez as necessarrily a top fighter

Post #6   4/7/10 3:28:15PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-506
Chips:
It may seem like he's talking nonsense because he's not popular in north america, but he actually really is a massive star over there and what he's saying is not that off the mark. Exaggerated a little maybe, but he's right in saying that if he goes over to the states and gets demolished it could lead to a lot more interest in north american MMA from the Japanese community.

Post #7   4/7/10 3:31:43PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:865-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
that's exactly right. there is a lot riding on this fight for him....i'm sure it's a lot of pressure.

Post #8   4/7/10 4:07:29PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:5,799-3,583
Chips:

Posted by Aether

It may seem like he's talking nonsense because he's not popular in north america, but he actually really is a massive star over there and what he's saying is not that off the mark. Exaggerated a little maybe, but he's right in saying that if he goes over to the states and gets demolished it could lead to a lot more interest in north american MMA from the Japanese community.

Exactly. He feels like he's representing Japan in this fight, and I'd say he is, at least as far as LW is concerned.

Post #9   4/7/10 4:57:38PM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
He's setting up a false referendum on USA v Japan in MMA because Gilbert is not our best fighter. It's popular opinion that the non-UFC circuit of LW's is world class but I really dont think that Aoki, Alvarez, Kawajiri, Hansen, Melendez, Thompson, etc are better than the UFC A- guys like KenFlo, Griffin, Maynard, Edgar, etc.

Aoki should come into UFC and beat some of those guys before he stakes the entire reputation of the 2 countries on this fight. I don't accept his premise.

Post #10   4/7/10 6:04:54PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:865-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
did he say somewhere that gilbert is our best?
I think he's implying that him losing looks bad for Japan not that him beating gilbert will solidify that Japan is better.

He needs to beat BJ for that

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #11   4/7/10 6:35:34PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:2,125-1,284
Chips:
I thought he came off truthful. I think what he means is that it's put up or shut up time. He is the best that they have to offer and it's a big hit against Japanese MMA if he gets dominated by a B level fighter. I don't think very highly of Aoki, he's a modern day Royce Gracie, he's got a new toy that some don't understand, but he's got a lot to learn about MMA. I seriously doubt that Aoki is going to be a dominant fighter on the US MMA scene.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #12   4/7/10 7:37:57PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
aoki is a great fighter but far from the best. in my opinion he's a one dimensional fighter. BJ penn has a better ground game and ten times the stand up and ten times the take down defense as anybody aoki has fought including aoki himself. the best of the USA will smash the best of japan any day. but Melendez is NOT the best of the USA so he still has a chance of getting submitted.

Post #13   4/8/10 12:09:30PM