Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

When broadcasters fail to show the true picture

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:2,076-1,211
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
By the time Mike Thomas Brown stepped into the cage Sunday night against Leonard Garcia, doctors had released Marcos Galvao from a local Corpus Christi, Texas, hospital.

Less than four hours earlier Damacio Page hammered the 27-year-old Brazilian bantamweight in 18 seconds with right hands, bringing a familiar roar from the crowd before a nervous hush took over the Bank America Center. Galvao lay grotesquely stiff on the canvas, his legs elevated in unison as if he was targeting his abs, his arms locked at the elbows. While concerned medical officials looked him over, Galvao suffered from seizures. He was strapped onto a stretcher and carried out by emergency medical personnel. Page took "Knockout of the Night" honors and a $7,500 bonus for the assault.

Not one mention of Galvao's condition made the broadcast produced by Versus, nor did any shots of him being attended to by EMTs. The only reason I saw it -- like most of you, I watched at home -- was thanks to an enterprising fan that shot the footage on what appeared to be a camera phone and put it on YouTube. (The video has since been taken down at the behest of the event's promoter, Zuffa LLC subsidiary World Extreme Cagefighting, due to claims of copyright protection.)

Unless you were in the building, and unless you were able enough to catch the video that circulated around mixed martial arts message boards, you'd have no idea that Galvao was under such dire straights.

link

WARNING: If you don't like Sports Illustrated's Josh Gross then you probably don't care to read this.

Post #1   3/4/09 5:14:23PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
can't disagree with him, he has makes a very valid point.

Post #2   3/4/09 5:42:33PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

I can, he is Josh Gross...

Post #3   3/4/09 6:06:41PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by nickcuc547

true but everything he said was true, mma announcers are cheerleaders for the sport in most instances, he makes a good point.

Post #4   3/4/09 6:24:36PM   

Loot613

MMA Regular

Loot613 Avatar

Career:1,519-1,059
Chips:
Yeah i saw the video was gnarly.... I knew something was up when Damacio said he really hoped Galvao was ok...

Post #5   3/4/09 6:30:15PM   

Dragonscale

Forum Banned

Career:72-41
Chips:

I think he is an idiot... what does he want us to do? worry like over-protective mothers every time there is a major knockout?

stpuid.

Post #6   3/4/09 7:24:53PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Almost every single sport out there tries to shift the attention of the fans when a serious injury occurs. I don't see why he would want to try to single out MMA. Well, I see why, but I think it's just as unfair as what he's claiming is unfair

Post #7   3/4/09 7:44:41PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by nickcuc547

true but everything he said was true, mma announcers are cheerleaders for the sport in most instances, he makes a good point.

I know man but seriously.....its Josh Gross. He could tell me that the sky was blue and I would not agree.

Post #8   3/4/09 7:54:52PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Chips:
This article isn't very good:

1. he states that nobody watching at home would know that galvao was hurt.

2. he then rips the WEC and VS for not updating everyone on his condition

3. His comparison to the NFL is terrible because whenever people get in a scuffle the camera almost always switches away from it. Also when a player is injured they go to commercial in hopes of the injured player being assisted off the field before they return

4. He's complaining about the lack of reporting and journalism and then states that rather than interview BJ they focused on GSP's upcoming titleshot agains THIAGO SILVA.

Can't make a bunch of stupid points while complaining about someones lack of ability to do their job espcially when you are making the same mistakes in the process.

Post #9   3/4/09 8:02:55PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
opinions.....

Every one has one, and most stink.....

Post #10   3/4/09 9:08:22PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:2,076-1,211
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Almost every single sport out there tries to shift the attention of the fans when a serious injury occurs. I don't see why he would want to try to single out MMA. Well, I see why, but I think it's just as unfair as what he's claiming is unfair

Every other single sport at least recognizes the injury and provides in-program updates on the condition of the injured. I cannot think of a single legitimate sport that pretends the injury did not occur.

Post #11   3/4/09 10:21:18PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I think they chose to not call attention to the knockout because it would only serve to tarnish the imagethat this is a "safe sport". It's not like this is done all the time though, as the Corey Hill injury was aired, and wasn't glossed over in any respect. If anyone is that interested in an injury report and update they can look it up online, so I doin't really get what the big deal is. Yes, they could have made mention of the extent of the injury on the broadcast--but to what purpose does it really serve to relay that information?

Post #12   3/4/09 11:30:09PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

I think they chose to not call attention to the knockout because it would only serve to tarnish the imagethat this is a "safe sport". It's not like this is done all the time though, as the Corey Hill injury was aired, and wasn't glossed over in any respect. If anyone is that interested in an injury report and update they can look it up online, so I doin't really get what the big deal is. Yes, they could have made mention of the extent of the injury on the broadcast--but to what purpose does it really serve to relay that information?

1,000 times over

Post #13   3/4/09 11:54:49PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Jackelope

Every other single sport at least recognizes the injury and provides in-program updates on the condition of the injured. I cannot think of a single legitimate sport that pretends the injury did not occur.

Not entirely true, though under much different circumstances. I remember watching the Daytona 500 when Earnhardt was killed. I thought it very strange that they weren't saying much and they weren't showing anything. Much different situation.

However, I don't need to see a man convulsing on the canvas. I know the damage done, but I don't need to see it. It may have been nice to say he was discharged, but that is about it.

Of course one could debate if NASCAR is a sport, but....

Post #14   3/5/09 12:15:12AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,462-806
Chips:
Josh Gross has a strong disliking for the UFC and anything to do with it. This all comes from him being black balled for a long time by the UFC for releasing TUF 4 finalist. He ended up getting his company sued because of it and almost fired. Then he went on to release an open letter after this basically accusing Dana of not doing enough to fix the steroid issue in MMA. Dana came with his own open letter ripping Gross apart. So ever since then Gross has been very anti UFC but he was heavily anti UFC even before hand the other stuff just added fuel to the fire. I was shocked SI picked him up because he really is just a hack if you ask me. Almost all his stories comes off very holier than thou and very biased.

Post #15   3/5/09 3:19:49AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2