Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Angle eager to make move to MMA

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

SpiderSilva

Living legend

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:2,303-1,485
Chips:

Posted by m0nk3y

to you folks defending pro wrestling ...

1) it is NOT a sport ... they even tell you that when they refer to it as "sports entertainment" ... it's a soap opera.
2) sure a 6ft fall hurts .. but i bet it feels better than being beat to sleep
3)the ropes should leave bruises if you're dumb enough to bounce yourself off of them at full speed!!! never seen that technique in a REAL fight anyways...
4)they are putting on a SHOW , not competing in anything other than a popularity contest.

the guys are in incredible shape , but they are more like stunt men than actual fighters.
but hey who cares , if they can come into MMA and put up a good fight i'm all for it.
i just don't want our beloved sport to turn into a soap opera as well.

You knowwasnt there a PrideFC fight where someone was bouncing off the ropes

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #31   9/22/07 11:01:49AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:4,210-3,089
Chips:
I got it!
A new fight league!
It's for heavyweights only.
You could have Kurt Angle, Brock Lesner, Kimbo Slice, Sean Gannon, Tank Abbott, Ray Mercer, Goldberg, Bob Sapp and any other ex wrestler, football player, Sumo wrestler or street fighter.
The comedic value would be worth it alone.
Remember Bob Sapp vs. Kimo?
Enough said.

Post #32   9/22/07 4:43:48PM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:
people are forgetting how strong and athletic kurt angle is.
if he shot on anyone hed get the takedown and if he knew how to ground and pound he would maul some really good fighters.
if he somehow made it to 205, he could just use the tito ortiz style and i dont think anyone could push him off.
im sure hed get submitted a few times doing this but he is a natural athlete and he should pick things up like a sponge.

Last edited 9/23/07 3:52AM server time by ccpride99
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #33   9/23/07 3:49:57AM   

MaxUFC

Learning to Sprawl

MaxUFC Avatar

Career:1,624-1,318
Chips:
Oh darn, not going see Lesner vs Angle.
Otherwise, good to add Angle and rumor Sperry into IFL.

Post #34   9/23/07 8:05:59AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Waka / Jawaka

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,441-1,420
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I got it!
A new fight league!
You could have Kurt Angle, Brock Lesner, Kimbo Slice, Sean Gannon, Tank Abbott, Ray Mercer, Goldberg, Bob Sapp and any other ex wrestler, football player, Sumo wrestler or street fighter.
Enough said.

I wish i had forgotten about that one lol... funny shit dude

Oh god here we go, Angle!?!?!?!?!?!?! Freakin' sick and tired of wwe or tna or whatever theyre' called now wrestlers trying to make the jump to MMA. IT'S DUMB!!!!!!! THEY JUST CANT DO IT, and quite honestly after failed attempts by numerous of them (cant mention names dont know em') they should just stick to their oily powerbombs and soft lil' body slams . U know what I just can't take it, makes me sick, leave the UFC alone Vince!!!!

Last edited 9/23/07 11:01AM server time by D0wnUnd6e6r
2 total post edits

Post #35   9/23/07 10:55:50AM   

fenderharry

Learning to Sprawl

Career:327-178
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by Sir_Karl

I got it!
A new fight league!
Enough said.

I wish i had forgotten about that one lol... funny shit dude

Oh god here we go, Angle!?!?!?!?!?!?! Freakin' sick and tired of wwe or tna or whatever theyre' called now wrestlers trying to make the jump to MMA. IT'S DUMB!!!!!!! THEY JUST CANT DO IT, and quite honestly after failed attempts by numerous of them (cant mention names dont know em') they should just stick to their oily powerbombs and soft lil' body slams . U know what I just can't take it, makes me sick, leave the UFC alone Vince!!!!

Yeah that was a terrible, but hilarious bad. NOW, to put my thoughts to this wrestling issue. Let me preface this by saying I'm BOTH a wrestling fan (albeit less mainstream wrestling companies such as ROH, and PWG) and a huge MMA fan. I don't let MMA and Wrestling, affect my opinion of the other.

Wrestling is pre-determined. Meaning the matches are planned, and while the worker's goal is to not really hurt their fellow wrestler in the ring, to a certain extent it hurts, and accidents can happen. There is something called strong style in Japan and in some parts of America where the strikes are stiff and really connect. Wrestlers essentially wrestle everynight, constantly traveling, and the pain from bumps essentially buildup up to the point where bones will break, muscles will tear, concussions will happen, etc. They really don't have any time to rehab nagging injuries. Kurt Angle, broke his neck 2 more times in pro wrestling, Chris Benoit (insert child-murderer joke in here ) broke his neck, and had so many concussions that by the time of his death, autopsy results said he had the brain of an 85 year old advanced-stage Alzheimer's patient.

To continue the list of some more high profile injuries Shawn Michaels broke his back, Steve Austin broke his neck, tore almost every ligament in his knee, Terry Funk can hardly walk, Mr. Fugi's in a wheelchair, Superstar Billy Graham is as well, and yeah whoever mentioned what happened to Danielson props. Also, Darren Drozdoff (Droz) was paralyzed from the neck down after a botched "Oily Powerbomb", hell perhaps the greatest WWF champion Bruno Sammartino accidentally killed a guy with a "soft powerslam". If this wasn't the case so many pro wrestlers wouldn’t be turning to painkillers, and other drugs too as a form of self-medication. Is it right that they do this, no!

The last thought I have which completely shows how uninformed you are about the nature of pro wrestling, “U know what I just can't take it, makes me sick, leave the UFC alone Vince!!!!” Besides the rumors about Shane McMahon wanting to start up a UFC-style company, they won't. Also, Kurt Angle doesn't even work for Vince McMahon anymore, hell he hasn't since September 2005. He works for the #2 wrestling promotion in the United States, TNA wrestling, shown of the same channel as UFC, Spike TV, owned by Dixie Carter and backed by Panda Energy.

I love both MMA and Pro Wrestling, but I detest the constant debate about which is better MMA or pro wrestling, personally I like MMA more, but I can still appreciate some pro wrestling.... Angle is too old and broken down to get into MMA now, maybe 10 or 11 years ago, but not now. Brock yes, Angle no. End of discussion!

Last edited 9/23/07 12:10PM server time by fenderharry
3 total post edits

Post #36   9/23/07 12:04:43PM   

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
i posted 1 about how dana thinks kurt would get owned in MMA
i would rather see kurt sign with the UFC and get his ass kicked by chuck, chuck needs the win and kurt would be a great stepping stone

Post #37   9/23/07 12:23:31PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Waka / Jawaka

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,441-1,420
Chips:
I'll try to put what i meen a lil' clearer for ya fender. As you said alot of accidents did occur and still do in wrestling, accidents. Meaning a wrestler is trying to make a fake move on a opponent and messes up right, a messed up move usually is followed by an injury right. Well exactly my point, injuring yourself attempting to do a fake already pre-determined move on your opponent just doesnt quite do it for me. Now your'e probly gonna say yeah but fighters also hurt themselves like blowing out their knees attempting to take down someone or any other example like so, but they're trying to accually hurt an opponent, wich is not planned. Know what i meen? You just see more quality athletes in the MMA circle than the WWE or whatever. Sure theyre ALL great athletes and shit but i just have this problem with set-up fights (WWE, or Hamill vs Bisping lol). Oh and as for the shane mcmahon rumours... never heard anything about it, i just hope he tries something out so i can watch it crash n' burn...XFL STYLE!!!! lol

Last edited 9/23/07 7:34PM server time by D0wnUnd6e6r
2 total post edits

Post #38   9/23/07 7:30:10PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:4,210-3,089
Chips:
To be serious, if thats possible, I do believe Angle and Lesner could make it in MMA. They possess some very good fundamental skills.
They would need the proper training from the proper coaches and the right fights to start, but I feel to begin with they could fare good against other up n comers or even some down and out fighters. We saw that in Brock's debut.
I don't blame them at all for wanting to jump ship from wrestling.
Gee...fake fight (and get hurt) 200 times a year or real fight (and get hurt less) 4 to 8 times a year...easy math.
Don't be so down on the Wrestling to MMA move....it can help the sport by drawing fans in!
MMA fighters come from a wide variety of sources. If they make it they make it, if they don't...they don't.

Post #39   9/24/07 12:05:48PM   

fenderharry

Learning to Sprawl

Career:327-178
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

I'll try to put what i meen a lil' clearer for ya fender. As you said alot of accidents did occur and still do in wrestling, accidents. Meaning a wrestler is trying to make a fake move on a opponent and messes up right, a messed up move usually is followed by an injury right. Well exactly my point, injuring yourself attempting to do a fake already pre-determined move on your opponent just doesnt quite do it for me. Now your'e probly gonna say yeah but fighters also hurt themselves like blowing out their knees attempting to take down someone or any other example like so, but they're trying to accually hurt an opponent, wich is not planned. Know what i meen? You just see more quality athletes in the MMA circle than the WWE or whatever. Sure theyre ALL great athletes and shit but i just have this problem with set-up fights (WWE, or Hamill vs Bisping lol). Oh and as for the shane mcmahon rumours... never heard anything about it, i just hope he tries something out so i can watch it crash n' burn...XFL STYLE!!!! lol

lol, actually I wasn't going to argue about MMA, I like MMA much more than wrestling, I am just saying there is a huge misconception about it. Also, a lot of the times they call the moves in the ring, and don't always work out each spot before the match, except the finish is predetermined.... But I know the difference between the two, I just wish people wouldn't compare them to each other, because they are two totally different things.

Last edited 9/24/07 1:25PM server time by fenderharry

Post #40   9/24/07 1:24:34PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3