Wrestler Simpson confident in standup game against slugger Leben at TUF 11 Finale

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Wrestler Simpson confident in standup game against slugger Leben at TUF 11 Finale
jae_1833
6/19/10 4:48:36PM
link
If the heavy handed Leben plans to brawl, Simpson says ready to weather the storm. "I feel comfortable standing up there," Simpson said. "I think I'm faster than him, and I'll catch him."
I know he says a lot more in the article but I am hoping he decides to test this theory of his!!
chokehead
6/19/10 7:14:52PM
He better not. I'm betting on him to win by submission.

BlueSkiesBurn
6/20/10 4:14:13AM
I wonder if he's still as confident
slapshot
6/20/10 3:03:17PM
I dont get why any fighter would fight to someone else's strengths even if you think you can hang in that area. We see them do it frequently and a lot of the time it works against them.
Jackelope
6/20/10 3:06:18PM
Well... in all fairness Simpson had been doing very well with his standup up until this fight. So in that sense I don't necessarily equate it with someone like Koscheck.

I can see why, after wrestling for 31 years, Simpson might take an interest in something else he's good at. I don't think he abandoned his wrestling game at all in this fight. It looked like he tried to mix it up pretty decently. He scored several takedowns in the 1st. I think he just gassed out and couldn't secure a TD thanks to Leben's improved TD defense there in the 2nd.
noahgenda
6/20/10 3:41:33PM
he hit leben very hard in the head many times. most people would have dropped. leben is a freaking monster tho. it was lebens TD defense and ridiculous ability to absorb punishment that won him the fight imo. not simpsons confidence in his stand up
BlueSkiesBurn
6/20/10 5:34:58PM

Posted by Jackelope

Well... in all fairness Simpson had been doing very well with his standup up until this fight. So in that sense I don't necessarily equate it with someone like Koscheck.

I can see why, after wrestling for 31 years, Simpson might take an interest in something else he's good at. I don't think he abandoned his wrestling game at all in this fight. It looked like he tried to mix it up pretty decently. He scored several takedowns in the 1st. I think he just gassed out and couldn't secure a TD thanks to Leben's improved TD defense there in the 2nd.

I guess when I say "Koscheck'ed" I'm not saying Simpson didn't mix it up. I am saying that he stood in the pocket too long with a fighter that most people figured could outclass Simpson on the feet. A fighter like Leben is one of those guys where LnP isn't a bad strategy. Simpson was mixing it up, for sure. Leben did have great take-down defense, for sure. But, Simpson stayed in the pocket with Leben "gangster boxing" way too long, for sure.