The winner in PRIDE vs. UFC? Neither

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » The winner in PRIDE vs. UFC? Neither
Bemin
2/9/08 2:22:00PM
When Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira forced Tim Sylvia to tap out in the third round at Saturday night's UFC 81 main event, becoming the first man to hold both the Ultimate Fighting Championship and the now-defunct PRIDE Fighting Championship heavyweight titles, it once again fueled endless debates over which organization had the better competition.

A little over a year ago, before UFC purchased PRIDE and subsequently folded it, at a post-show press conference, when Quinton Jackson and Mirko Cro Cop were about to debut, a reporter asked UFC president Dana White about the possibility that the ex-PRIDE stars may come in and win all the belts.

It was a common theme among insiders and most of the fighters that, in general, the PRIDE fighters were better, even though UFC people would argue that except for the heavyweight division, in which for years PRIDE clearly had more depth, UFC felt its top guys would beat PRIDE's top guys. White noted at the time that Jackson and Cro Cop were now UFC fighters, and it didn't matter who fought where at another time, whoever was really the best would be determined in head-to-head battle and now the best were all UFC fighters.

Link
BlazinSaddle
2/9/08 2:32:57PM
i hope in a couple years nobody will remember this whole UFC vs Pride thing anymore but they will probably never let it go, wheather you liked either one better Pride is dead and theres no reviving it, some fight for the UFC now so Pride has nothing to do with them anymore the past is the past and i hope most fans understand that someday, organizations dont make fighters
MALICE
2/9/08 2:38:11PM
This article is going to spark some controversy.

but it did show that the gap between a No. 15 fighter and No. 1 fighter in the same weight class was far less than perceived.
I like this statement. I believe it 100%
RMFG_187
2/9/08 2:54:41PM

controversy
wolfman
2/9/08 3:29:52PM
It's a good article, yes it is semi-controversial. However, he does make some good points.
Seiche
2/9/08 4:06:13PM
As Meltzer gets more comfortable in his role as the 'mainstream voice' of MMA, I would expect more articles like this from him. He's never been one to shy away from a controversial op-ed piece, a that's why I like his work. There is a veritable dirge of MMA opinion writers/pieces out there, unless you are talking about fight predictions. Sure, there is always the occasional piece on Sherdog, but I have never really cared for their writers. And most blogs just re-hash the same crap you can find 100 other places.

Props to Dave on this one.
nickcuc547
2/9/08 5:14:34PM
i have to agree with meltzer 100%, there are way too many differences in the organizations to make a clear cut choice, and when the guys have faced eachother it has lead to a lot of closely contested fights.
StevieC
2/9/08 5:24:33PM
Who cares anymore, most of them are in the UFC now anyway....
Jackelope
2/9/08 5:32:39PM
I like what Chuck says in his book-

"They're both full of badass fighters"
loller90278
2/9/08 6:45:57PM
the title of the tread is misleading, instead of "neither" it should be "pride"
MALICE
2/9/08 6:49:17PM

Posted by loller90278

the title of the tread is misleading, instead of "neither" it should be "pride"

Correct me if I am mistaken, but shouldn't it say "UFC". I mean, if there ever was a competition, however sad it may be, pride lost.

Good one though. PROPS!!
Vietnamese_Guy
2/9/08 8:45:33PM
In the Pride VS UFC debate, we're talking about pride fighters circa 2002-2007 and UFC fighters, not organizations.

i like how people keep switching the meanings everytime theres a snag in their logic
MALICE
2/9/08 8:56:49PM

Posted by Vietnamese_Guy

In the Pride VS UFC debate, we're talking about pride fighters circa 2002-2007 and UFC fighters, not organizations.

i like how people keep switching the meanings everytime theres a snag in their logic

Just making jokes about the subject, because the debate is and always will be a stalemate.

Nogueira, Rampage, and Silva are the champs so Pride is better.

Shogun, CroCop, and Wanderlei lost so the UFC is better.

Shogun was injured so that fight doesn't count. PRIDE.

Silva didn't fight for Pride very long. UFC.

STALEMATE!

StevieC
2/9/08 10:32:25PM
Ya, Silva fought in Pride but he was really more all over the place. He fought a bunch before and after Pride before the UFC. So I don't really consider him a true Pride guy(Unlike Silva and Rampage who fought a ton in Pride). Just a guy going out there to prove he is the best...

Trench777
2/10/08 3:48:21AM
Everyone WAIT!!

*drags big, dead horse to the middle of the room*

*hands out baseball bats*

Ok, beat away!

T777
Manfred
2/10/08 4:28:46AM

Posted by Trench777

Everyone WAIT!!

*drags big, dead horse to the middle of the room*