WEC 51 Attendance And Gate Figures Not Good

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » WEC 51 Attendance And Gate Figures Not Good
DCRage
10/12/10 1:21:06PM
It would seem that while WEC might've hoped otherwise, the response to if their seemingly unstoppable Featherweight Champion can draw is "No Way, Jose"-pun intended. The Colorado Office of Boxing today announced WEC 51 last week drew only 3791 fans for a live gate of $190,620. WEC originally estimated a crowd of around 5100. The event was headlined by Jose Aldo vs. Manny Gamburyan. In fact, 51 will rank among the worst WEC events in terms of attendance.

Article
aristipe
10/12/10 1:57:36PM
Not fair. Such poor numbers will justify paying these great fighters peanuts. Considering how hard they work to provide great fights, life's a bitch.
Giant_Ochai
10/12/10 2:47:31PM
It's time for the WEC to be absorbed by the UFC. Just the brand alone will get the fighters the money they deserve.
emfleek
10/12/10 2:51:08PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

It's time for the WEC to be absorbed by the UFC. Just the brand alone will get the fighters the money they deserve.

I agree. It will only help the UFC brand in the long run. More stars + more fights + more events + more happy fans = more money.
Franklinfan47
10/12/10 3:22:01PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Giant_Ochai

I agree. It will only help the UFC brand in the long run. More stars + more fights + more events + more happy fans = more money.

Not to mention, more title fights, which is something everyone seems to complain about. Add bw, fw, and eventually flyweight belts.

I think this Zuffas eventual plan, but in the mean time good fighters are getting paid peanuts, like you said. Its a dam shame.
FastKnockout
10/12/10 3:59:18PM
The only reason they aren't getting huge numbers in attendance is mainly due to the weight of these fighters. Most fans, for some odd reason, don't enjoy watching little guys fight, and I've never understood this. In my eyes, the WEC always brings it, and gives great fights. I'd rather watch two Featherweights fight it out than two Heavyweights gassing after two minutes. I just don't understand it. In my area no one watches the WEC because the little guys don't have "KO" power or anything, and I think it's just dumb. Even after the last event where most of the fights ended in finishes, they still said the card sucked. It's mostly just these UFC fan-boys. If It's not UFC, then it's not worth watching, and that's sad for the sport of MMA. The WEC usually gives more to the fans fight wise than the UFC, and they recieve the short end of the stick. It's just sad.
DCRage
10/12/10 5:14:01PM

Posted by FastKnockout

The only reason they aren't getting huge numbers in attendance is mainly due to...

Inability to clone multiple Urijah Fabers. If they could do that and have Faber on every card they would always have full houses.
DevonFoxy
10/12/10 5:32:18PM
If they absorb the WEC they could do monthly fight nights for the WEC lighter weight classes and put the title fights on the PPVs. It could def. work but I agree the numbers are sad. These are much better cards then most UFC cards to be honest and they get crap on compensation and bonuses.

It would be a good thing for the UFC but perhaps not so good for the fighters. it would make it a home only the elite and some of the lesser talent wouldnt get a chance to get into the UFC.
teddythetuna
10/13/10 4:26:45PM
I was more excited about this card than any of the UFC's so far. Aldo, Hominick, Korean Zombie, Garcia This card had excitment written all over it. And it was a great fight card. Its unfortunate that people think that unless its a UFC card it isnt worth watching. I guess thats the difference between being an MMA fan and a UFC fan IMO