Everyone Wants To Fight Anderson Silva After UFC 112

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Everyone Wants To Fight Anderson Silva After UFC 112
DCRage
5/24/10 12:20:57PM
Michael Bisping does too, but apparently nobody's given him any attention ahead of his UFC 114 fight with Dan Miller this Saturday, and he doesn't like that. So to change that, "The Count" had some interesting things to say about the undisputed king of his division, Anderson Silva, and his performance at UFC 112.

Article
Twenty20Dollars
5/24/10 12:39:06PM
We should just have a 8 man last man standing match, last one standing is the new champ.
spikerman19
5/24/10 1:15:31PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

We should just have a 8 man last man standing match, last one standing is the new champ.

It seems like Silva does much better when being attacked, I would give Silva the first round ko via straight strikes to the shins.
casketcoin
5/24/10 1:24:36PM
I think if Bisping beats Miller he should definatley fight Belcher next.
If Belfort is next for the belt after Sonnen then Wandy and Marquardt would make since.
By the way i think Belcher would make an ugly mess out of Bisping
bjj1605
5/24/10 2:10:13PM

Posted by casketcoin

If Belfort is next for the belt after Sonnen then Wandy and Marquardt would make since.

I agree.

What I hate is the talk of Anderson having cleaned out the division. There are still tons of MW fights I would love to see him in.

Alan Belcher
Akiyama
Sonnen
Vitor
Wanderlie
Bisping
Jake Shields
Marquardt again
Palhares
Munoz

Obviously any of them would have to string together some wins before earning the title shot, but if they can impress for several more fights in a row I think that anyone of those guys would be excellent challengers and I would give any of them a legit chance of winning the title. Anderson isn't invincible. He's one of my favorite fighters but it still bugs me how people glorify him.

And I don't get this new generation of fans. Everyone wants fighters to change weight classes. You didn't hear nearly this level of 'cleaned out their division talk" with Chuck or Hughes.
Aether
5/24/10 2:35:43PM
All of these people calling out Anderson need to wake up. I strongly dislike him(Silva), and obviously fighters are going to take their chance to hype themselves into a potential title fight, but if any of these guys honestly believe that what Silva is displaying is anywhere remotely close to his potential, or that if he acted the same way in a fight with them, that they would just kick him in the face, they're dreaming. The reason he's able to act like that is because no one can hit the guy to begin with.

I dislike Silva quite a bit, but these guys are in fantasy land if they truly believe that they're just going to hop in there and KO him while he clowns around.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 4:48:44PM
Pretty much, Silva isn't getting beaten by any of the guys on your list bjj1605. That's why people want him to move up already.
jay98107
5/24/10 5:23:11PM
Bisping has lost 2 of his last 3 at 185, why are we supposed to care what he has to say about Anderson? He's fighting to stay on the main card this saturday, not get into title contention.
jay98107
5/24/10 5:25:02PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by casketcoin

I agree.

What I hate is the talk of Anderson having cleaned out the division. There are still tons of MW fights I would love to see him in.

Alan Belcher
Akiyama
Sonnen
Vitor
Wanderlie
Bisping
Jake Shields
Marquardt again
Palhares
Munoz

Obviously any of them would have to string together some wins before earning the title shot, but if they can impress for several more fights in a row I think that anyone of those guys would be excellent challengers and I would give any of them a legit chance of winning the title. Anderson isn't invincible. He's one of my favorite fighters but it still bugs me how people glorify him.

And I don't get this new generation of fans. Everyone wants fighters to change weight classes. You didn't hear nearly this level of 'cleaned out their division talk" with Chuck or Hughes.

You mention some interesting names, but I really don't see the need for him to fight Munoz, Bisping, Belcher, or Palhares. I couldn't imagine any of those guys making a fight with Anderson competitive.
Wallass
5/24/10 6:12:17PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by casketcoin

I agree.

Alan Belcher
Akiyama
Sonnen
Vitor
Wanderlie
Bisping
Jake Shields
Marquardt again
Palhares
Munoz

You mention some interesting names, but I really don't see the need for him to fight Munoz, Bisping, Belcher, or Palhares. I couldn't imagine any of those guys making a fight with Anderson competitive.

Quite the staetement dude! Palhares and Munoz would be very competetive and most likely beat him, the other too maybe aswell.
bjj1605
5/24/10 6:30:17PM

Posted by jay98107

I really don't see the need for him to fight Munoz, Bisping, Belcher, or Palhares. I couldn't imagine any of those guys making a fight with Anderson competitive.

I would have a hard time arguing for Bisping. Belcher is a good striker and well rounded, but I agree that right now I think his chances are slim. I mention both those names because they have shown good potential and if they string together several impressive wins yours and mine perceptions of them could change.

Palhares is an unbelievably powerful and explosive top level grappler. His slams and aggression could easily put anderson on his back. If he was able to do that I would consider it more likely than not that he would submit him. Anderson is a good grappler but relies a lot on physical gifts. His long lanky limbs are just asking for a compact and powerful fighter like Palhares to latch on to one of them and twist or pull.

Munoz is dangerous for a similar reason. He is a big middle weight, strong, and a very good wrestler. And as he has shown, his ground and pound is second to none in the MW division. Once he's on top of you and his arms are free, he's going to pound you out and I'm not sure anyone would be able to stop it. Including anderson.

Again I'm putting these guys forward as potential contenders. If they fought tomorrow most likely I'm picking Anderson over any of them. But fighter skills are maliable as are our opinions of them. Its possible that any of these guys could improve enough to beat anderson or show us through an impressive victory that they already posses the skills.
BigBadAl
5/24/10 6:35:48PM

Posted by Wallass

Posted by jay98107

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by casketcoin

I agree.

Alan Belcher
Akiyama
Sonnen
Vitor
Wanderlie
Bisping
Jake Shields
Marquardt again
Palhares
Munoz

Quite the staetement dude! Palhares and Munoz would be very competetive and most likely beat him, the other too maybe aswell.

To say Palhares and Munoz would most likely beat Silva is quite a statement of it's own
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 7:17:25PM
I'm sorry, until proven otherwise, I don't see Anderson losing to any of these fighters. He's not even really been tested in the UFC. That's a strong statement. I mean, if you look at the best of the best in the octagon, they have all been tested. Pushed to the limits. Machida, Rua, Lesnar, well, not Carwin, GSP, BJ, etc...Anderson is just...well, wow. And I don't even like the guy. I refuse to purchase his PPV's so for me to be saying this....
bjj1605
5/24/10 10:53:53PM

Posted by BigBadAl

To say Palhares and Munoz would most likely beat Silva is quite a statement of it's own

So I just re read the whole forum.... who said that Palhares or Munoz would most likely beat Silva? I saw that no where.

Edit: I stand corrected. I thought he was talking about me.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 10:57:53PM

Posted by Wallass

vomitshovel
5/25/10 4:20:42AM
Silva is scared of BJJ guys. Maybe not scared... but very wary.
That led to his actions in the ring, and i can see from a mental point of view why he would do what he did. He's a counter-puncher through and through. He TKO'd Griffin stepping backwards with a straight.
Yes he was a complete fool with Maia, but its because all he wanted was Maia to hit him so he can counter and KO him, and Maia was clever and stuck to the game plan.
Silva wont do that to someone who comes at him.
I also agree he has a goo 5-8 fights before he moves up, but i predict that he demolishes everyone and moves up to LHW. I hope.
True he hasn't cleaned out the division, but he's closer than anyone is atm to what would be a division clean-out.
lohmann
5/25/10 6:14:55AM

Posted by vomitshovel

Silva is scared of BJJ guys. Maybe not scared... but very wary.

High-level BJJ practitioners are at least as equally wary of engaging with Anderson Silva, even enough to set up a proper takedown.

Thales Leites ended up flopping on his back in order to bait Silva almost as many times as he threw a punch and Demian Maia stood still for almost four rounds while Anderson Silva made wheelies in his lawn. Somehow, in the midst of all that dancing, he did something to Maia's orbital.

Outside of Vitor Belfort, there's no fights left at 185 that interest me that much when it comes to Anderson Silva. He's fought fighters that have strengths in almost every facet of MMA and throttled them all. I am not one for believing that a fighter needs to go up a weight class to look for challenges, like many MMA fans that want GSP or Aldo to do so, but when an elite fighter makes a clear indication that he desires to test other waters, then I think an organization should let him have his way.

Anderson Silva's going to be old for a fighter soon, so if he desires superfights, Dana White needs to quit stalling and let him try his hand at solidifying his status as an all-time great by looking for what would possibly be the greatest accomplishment in MMA history: being the top-ranked fighter in three divisions at some point in a fighter's career. Love or hate Anderson Silva, I think he's earned that privilege.
Chael_Sonnen
5/25/10 2:53:34PM
After Chael beats Anderson...bring on Vitor
spoofies
5/26/10 3:32:02AM
Sonnen, Belfort then 205.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/26/10 4:36:55AM

Posted by lohmann
High-level BJJ practitioners are at least as equally wary of engaging with Anderson Silva, even enough to set up a proper takedown.

Thales Leites ended up flopping on his back in order to bait Silva almost as many times as he threw a punch and Demian Maia stood still for almost four rounds while Anderson Silva made wheelies in his lawn. Somehow, in the midst of all that dancing, he did something to Maia's orbital.

Outside of Vitor Belfort, there's no fights left at 185 that interest me that much when it comes to Anderson Silva. He's fought fighters that have strengths in almost every facet of MMA and throttled them all. I am not one for believing that a fighter needs to go up a weight class to look for challenges, like many MMA fans that want GSP or Aldo to do so, but when an elite fighter makes a clear indication that he desires to test other waters, then I think an organization should let him have his way.

Anderson Silva's going to be old for a fighter soon, so if he desires superfights, Dana White needs to quit stalling and let him try his hand at solidifying his status as an all-time great by looking for what would possibly be the greatest accomplishment in MMA history: being the top-ranked fighter in three divisions at some point in a fighter's career. Love or hate Anderson Silva, I think he's earned that privilege.

This is, succinctly put, the single best explanation as to why it's time for Anderson to move up. It's not that there aren't fights for him at MW, it's that we have already seen those stylistic match-ups and, like lohmann said, he whipped through the competition.
Caesarrrr
5/26/10 11:16:38AM
I would have to say that the only two people I give a chance of beating Silva at 185 are Sonnen and Belfort. I'll give it to Sonnen because I'm a huge fan, and he's always surprising you, so I hope he could do it again. As for Belfort, he'll have those quick hands, but I wouldn't even say he'd win then.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/26/10 4:18:19PM
He already has the fight with Sonnen and Belfort is next. So, after that, move him up divisions.
THE_DRiZzLE
5/26/10 7:39:59PM
Well I actually caught this fight and couldn't believe my eyes.. Anderson Silva made an ass out of himself and the sport in my honest opinion.. and for all you Anderson Silva hugger's out there.. Anderson Silva is an awesome force and a master technician in the world of MMA.. Anderson will no doubt go down as one of the best Mixed Martial Artists ever.. but that performance was a joke along with all the stupid antics of his inside the octagon.. if I were Dana White I'd be furious about my main event turning into a complete and utter joke.. I hate showboating, specially when it's backed by nothing.. it's no wonder everyone wants a piece of him..
BlueSkiesBurn
5/26/10 8:00:32PM
Sadly, those that have asked for him have been destroyed.