Wanderlei Silva vs Rashad Evans

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Wanderlei Silva vs Rashad Evans
Next Page »
hathcock32
5/25/08 11:30:50PM
Rumored next bout for Wandy.....win and title shot.....Wandy 1rd KO
Kracker_Jap
5/25/08 11:43:02PM
the way that Rashad puts his chin out there, Gosh I hope so
Mchubb316
5/26/08 12:08:20AM
Wand will knock him out.
GrandMaster313
5/26/08 12:48:51AM
say bye bye to that perfect little record rashad. im for michigan fighters but this one i cant see him winning
NatedawgThaM
5/26/08 12:55:05AM
Rashad by Unanimous Decision. He's get the win on the cards because he's the future and he's a TUF winner. They want to keep building him up and even though Wandy's does have good TD defense he isn't the hardest guy to take down as he has gotten taken down by lesser wrestlers. And Wandy's never shown any ground game really off his back except when he was on top pounding away.

ocho-cinco
5/26/08 2:44:49AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Rashad by Unanimous Decision. He's get the win on the cards because he's the future and he's a TUF winner. They want to keep building him up and even though Wandy's does have good TD defense he isn't the hardest guy to take down as he has gotten taken down by lesser wrestlers. And Wandy's never shown any ground game really off his back except when he was on top pounding away.

You really think Rashad could last 3 rounds with "the axe murderer"? Just asking.
mkiv9secsupra
5/26/08 2:49:08AM
isnt Wandy a BJJ blackbelt as well as a vicious striker? i dont see Rashad winning at all
MMAcca
5/26/08 2:54:34AM
Like i said in the thread that's already been made about this fight () i think Rashad will probably grind out a UD against Wandy, combining his height advantage with his jab to control the fight.
mkiv9secsupra
5/26/08 3:05:28AM

Posted by MMAcca

Like i said in the thread that's already been made about this fight () i think Rashad will probably grind out a UD against Wandy, combining his height advantage with his jab to control the fight.

they are the same height at 5'11'' and Wandy has the reach advantage, the experience, conditioning, submission, and striking advantage.......Rashad has his mediocre wrestling.
Pookie
5/26/08 3:09:36AM
IF wanderlei can hit you, he can hurt you.

Good match-up for him, unless rashad gains some serious ko power i think hes going to get bossed up on the feet.
MMAcca
5/26/08 3:41:12AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by MMAcca

they are the same height at 5'11'' and Wandy has the reach advantage, the experience, conditioning, submission, and striking advantage.......Rashad has his mediocre wrestling.

Oops my bad . For some reason i always thought Rashad was 6'2 ish

Oh well, erm.....better stick by pick still and go with Rashad for the UD, but i'm not so sure now.
NatedawgThaM
5/26/08 3:46:43AM

Posted by ocho-cinco

You really think Rashad could last 3 rounds with "the axe murderer"? Just asking.

Definitely. Jardine lasted three and even beat Liddell. Herring last all three rounds with Nog the third time when everybody and their momma had Nog by submission. Not to mention he trains under GREG JACKSON SUBMISSION FIGHTING. A sick grappler who also trains Jardine and GSP. Greg Jackson and GSP are both way better grapplers then Wandy, I'd bet my life on it.

In 41 fights, Wandy has only won 4 by submission. 2 by strikes, 1 by injury, and the other by RNC over Bob Schrijber(who?) Plus he got his black belt under Chutebox who I'm really starting to doubt now-a-days. EVERYBODY and their momma's who train under Chutebox have a black belt in BJJ. I've honestly never seen a fighter from chutebox who does not have a black belt in BJJ. Shogun, ninja, Wandy, even Thiago(sadly) all have black belts and who have any of them submitted? Thiago and Ninja are the only ones who really use BJJ effectively in MMA.

When Wandy is taken down, he does not do a thing but hold on for a ref to stand it up. But this is not PRIDE, the UFC does not prefer stand up over grappling. They'll make him work to get up. And Rashad will get him down, he got Bisping down who has better takedown defense IMO. And Rashad has good boxing even though it's not lethal with a killer instinct. He has great head movement, quick hands, and a good jab to keep Wandy at bay Machida style by circling until he takes him down.

Now don't get me wrong, I hate Rashad's style just as much as anybody. I will be rooting for Wandy since I've always liked him, it's just I'm going to play it smart since he hasn't really proven anything except inside striking is a bad match up for Jardine. It's just IMHO lame to ask if an undefeated fighter who's gone all 3 rounds several times can go the distance with a lately struggling fighter hopefully not for long.
DiabloFreak56
5/26/08 11:30:09AM
rashad has not shot vs Wanderlei.. i mean rashad is a decent fighter but not better then wanderlei. if rashad took wanderlei down wanderlei can use his BJJ that he has that he never uses cause he loves to throw down.

WANDY FTW!
DiabloFreak56
5/26/08 11:31:45AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by ocho-cinco

Definitely. Jardine lasted three and even beat Liddell. Herring last all three rounds with Nog the third time when everybody and their momma had Nog by submission. Not to mention he trains under GREG JACKSON SUBMISSION FIGHTING. A sick grappler who also trains Jardine and GSP. Greg Jackson and GSP are both way better grapplers then Wandy, I'd bet my life on it.

In 41 fights, Wandy has only won 4 by submission. 2 by strikes, 1 by injury, and the other by RNC over Bob Schrijber(who?) Plus he got his black belt under Chutebox who I'm really starting to doubt now-a-days. EVERYBODY and their momma's who train under Chutebox have a black belt in BJJ. I've honestly never seen a fighter from chutebox who does not have a black belt in BJJ. Shogun, ninja, Wandy, even Thiago(sadly) all have black belts and who have any of them submitted? Thiago and Ninja are the only ones who really use BJJ effectively in MMA.

When Wandy is taken down, he does not do a thing but hold on for a ref to stand it up. But this is not PRIDE, the UFC does not prefer stand up over grappling. They'll make him work to get up. And Rashad will get him down, he got Bisping down who has better takedown defense IMO. And Rashad has good boxing even though it's not lethal with a killer instinct. He has great head movement, quick hands, and a good jab to keep Wandy at bay Machida style by circling until he takes him down.

Now don't get me wrong, I hate Rashad's style just as much as anybody. I will be rooting for Wandy since I've always liked him, it's just I'm going to play it smart since he hasn't really proven anything except inside striking is a bad match up for Jardine. It's just IMHO lame to ask if an undefeated fighter who's gone all 3 rounds several times can go the distance with a lately struggling fighter hopefully not for long.

JARDINE DIDNT LAST 3 ROUNDS ROFL. sorry but maybe those 36 seconds felt like 3 rounds to you
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
5/26/08 11:39:38AM
nighty night rashad. rashad will get desperate for the take down after taking some good shots from wandy. As rashad shoots , wandy will knee ko him for the win.
Wandy should expect the shot from rashad and training with the likes of randy couture should really help improve his take down defense.
candynuts
5/26/08 11:59:39AM
I usually hate going against the wrestlers when I make the pick because they do a very good job with ground control. Could Evans take Silva down, most likely. Could he throw some punches and keep away from Silva's submission game, likely. Has Rashads standup improved a lot; absolutely.

Now by all means I want Wanderlei to destroy Rashad as bad (if not worse) than what he did to Jardine (For what he did in the Bisping fight, etc fights).

And to be honest, with Wanderlei's fan base at UFC's, if Rashad tries to LnP on him, I could see EVERY SINGLE FAN Boo'ing Rashad (unfortunately) but unmercifully between rounds (if it lasts that long) that it might get in his head a bit to try to make it "exciting". Ultimately you have to do what it takes to win, and with Rashad vs. Wanderlei, Rashad should know what he has to do. And we already know about Wanderlei.

While I want Wandy to win, I just hate to pick against the wrestlers. (Even after what happened to me during UFC 84-- Sherk, Tito, etc..)

Once again it will be the clashing of styles that make the fight, so I am definately interested in this matchup.

NatedawgThaM
5/26/08 12:03:00PM

Posted by DiabloFreak56

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by ocho-cinco

Definitely. Jardine lasted three and even beat Liddell. Herring last all three rounds with Nog the third time when everybody and their momma had Nog by submission. Not to mention he trains under [GREG JACKSON SUBMISSION FIGHTING. A sick grappler who also trains Jardine and GSP. Greg Jackson and GSP are both way better grapplers then Wandy, I'd bet my life on it.

JARDINE DIDNT LAST 3 ROUNDS ROFL. sorry but maybe those 36 seconds felt like 3 rounds to you

Read the bold. Rashad does not have that same problem. I just feel his quick head movement and quick hands will be good enough to avoid Wandy's wild haymakers and take him down where Wandy will probably do nothing but hold on and the same goes with Rashad.
MartinKillMcGill
5/26/08 2:34:54PM
With randy now in his corner i think wandy can keep this fight standing long enough to get the KO.what about the rumours that wandy was going to move down to MW. I heard reports that evan's was considering it two. Mayb this fight will be at MW
tylerlee123
5/26/08 3:07:53PM
Hope Wandy wins but when i see this i immediately think Rashad Desicion
Chuteboxer
5/26/08 4:08:45PM
Wanderlei can win this fight if he pushes the pace like he did with Jardine. If he gets taken down I hope he uses what ground game he does have and catches Rashad off guard, although that will be difficult to do. Otherwise, I see this going to Wandy. Rashad has not really impressed me yet. Not completely.
sillysnail
5/26/08 4:12:21PM
its funny how in any hypothetical situation where rashad is the winner, the method of victory is invariably decision.

the days where just being a good wrestler could carry you to ufc greatness have long since passed, especially against top competition. you have to be well rounded and evans just isn't. he's a mediocre fighter who poses no serious fight-ending threat to anybody, which allows a guy like wandy to play much more aggressive. training for this fight would be shamefully easy: TD defense and bjj.

wandy mows through evans in a highlight reel finish. i dont see evans EVER entering the top lhw or mw ranks.
Jackelope
5/26/08 4:20:12PM

Posted by sillysnail

its funny how in any hypothetical situation where rashad is the winner, the method of victory is invariably decision.

the days where just being a good wrestler could carry you to ufc greatness have long since passed, especially against top competition. you have to be well rounded and evans just isn't. he's a mediocre fighter who poses no serious fight-ending threat to anybody, which allows a guy like wandy to play much more aggressive. training for this fight would be shamefully easy: TD defense and bjj.

wandy mows through evans in a highlight reel finish. i dont see evans EVER entering the top lhw or mw ranks.

Believe me.... oh please believe me.... I feel the same exact way about Rashad Evans. If not 100X more so. My disdain for him as a fighter goes as far as his luck seems to go in the Octagon and then around the corner and down the street a ways.

HOWEVER, he has a very neutralizing style, and he actually circles the Octagon pretty well. He won't slug with Wandy like Jardine tried to. I'd love to see "Sugar" Rashad Evans get rape choked and beat to a pulp like Jardine, but I can't see it happening. I see him picking his shots, staying out of the pocket, and securing the takedowns and the decision by man-humping Wandy to death out there.
keith-hackney1
5/26/08 4:38:01PM
Honestly, i dont see that rashad is a worthy opponent for vanderlei, this ko over jardine puts him just above chuck in my opinion. Sure enough chuck beat silva but via decision in his own back yard too. Jardine beat liddell and rocked him in that fight, wandy quickly ko's jardine. The triangle of fighters, who is 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
1st Vanderlei
2nd Liddell
3rd jardine
Seen as chuck and rashad are no longer fighting, machida just dominated tito, and forrest is already due his title shot with the champ, the next bouts should be as follows....
Chuck vs Machida
Vanderlei vs rashad
... The two winners fight, then the winner of that gets a title shot.
As for jardine, pit him against a harf worthy fighter in irvin, hamill or Sokoudjou. After beating chuck and losing to vanderlei, jardine should not be pummeled back down to a rock bottom fight.

HQ: (Hackney Question) Did anyone eles notice a team member who walked out behind wandy in his march to the octagon looked like randy couture ??? Really bugging me, i know randy is probebly barred from stepping foot near the ufc, but it did look like him, right side at the back of vanderlei's entourage, he was wearing a black shirt and cap. Tell me who it is if its not couture !!! thanks guys ....
ncordless
5/26/08 4:45:20PM
Interesting fight... I guess.

Two smaller LHW going at each other. I have never been sold on Rashad, and a draw (that he should of lost) with Ortiz and a win over Bisping does not give me any reason to think that he has what it takes to beat Wandy. Rashad's upright takedowns are going to get him caught in a thai clinch and KTFO rnd 1.
Violence108
5/26/08 4:54:05PM
Rashad Evans vs Wanderlei Silva
has the making of either a very fast KO for Silva or a long boring UD for Evans
i dont even think evans should be in there with Silva yet give Evans a chance to fight so top 10 guys before u get him in over his head
keith-hackney1
5/26/08 5:02:32PM

Posted by Violence108

Rashad Evans vs Wanderlei Silva
has the making of either a very fast KO for Silva or a long boring UD for Evans
i dont even think evans should be in there with Silva yet give Evans a chance to fight so top 10 guys before u get him in over his head

I hear ya with the rashad comments, i must ask, how many fights does rashad have to have to get in there with the top 5 ?? He's 19-0-1. Test him !! He went 3 rounds with tito, who at that time was still ranked in the top 5 or 6. He was scheduled to face liddell in england next month, with his impressive record, combined with the amount of straight victories he has had in the ufc, give him a tough test. Im not a rashad fan, but i dont like the way opponents seem to be picked in this stupid ranking system that the ufc make up as they go along. If rashad is good enough to face chuck, as he was, why not let him fight vanderlei instead, and pit liddell against the unstoppable machida !!! Then the two winners for a title shot !!!
fonduktoe
5/26/08 9:14:33PM
if this match happens we might actually see some of wandy's jitsu since rashad doesn't fight without going perpetually for the takedown
i would much rather see wandy by first round brutilization
DiabloFreak56
5/26/08 9:36:55PM

Posted by fonduktoe

if this match happens we might actually see some of wandy's jitsu since rashad doesn't fight without going perpetually for the takedown
i would much rather see wandy by first round brutilization

i think people forget wandy is a black belt in BJJ.. just throwing that out there.

maybe hell do this

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
jgtribbett
5/26/08 9:52:55PM
wandy by decision
mkiv9secsupra
5/26/08 10:24:22PM
if wandy is good enough to catch a Judo black belt of Yoshida's caliber in an armbar than Rashad has NO CHANCE against Wandy. Strikinging, clinching, cardio and grappling are all dominated by Wandy in this fight. Rashad has finally come to the point where he HAS to face top fighters and cannot beat any top ten yet.
Pages: [1] 2