“TUF6" Fighter Jon Koppenhaver Facing Felony Charges

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » “TUF6" Fighter Jon Koppenhaver Facing Felony Charges
babalu2720
12/13/07 8:53:57PM
Jon Koppenhaver, a cast member on the latest season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” appeared in Superior Court on Thursday on felony assault and battery charges stemming from a September incident outside a San Diego training center.

According to the San Diego Tribune-Tribune, Koppenhaver had a preliminary hearing on Thursday, and if the case goes to trial, he faces a maximum penalty of seven years in prison.

Koppenhaver is accused of choking unconscious a man and striking him in the face outside Undisputed, a fitness and training center, on Sept. 2. Koppenhaver is a trainer at the facility. According to a San Diego police detective, Zatkow suffered four fractures to his left eye socket during the assault.

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/12/13/tuf6-fighter-jon-koppenhaver-facing-felony-charges/
bigox420
12/13/07 11:07:11PM
thats rough.
Vendetta
12/13/07 11:56:57PM
He'll probably plead down to a lesser charge and do some probation.
Svartorm
12/14/07 12:03:43AM
Hell, Mayhem Miller did the same thing, only he broke into a dudes house to do it, and I think he got off with a fine.

One of the things about court is that if a prosecutor plays up the fact you're a "trained fighter", and the defense lawyer knows his stuff, he can turn it around and thereby claim the prosecutor has accepted you as an expert in the field, and it allows you to make expert testimony in your own defense.
gartface
12/14/07 12:49:25AM
Not surprised, but still disappointed. This guy really has some potential in my eyes, hope this doesn't ruin his career.
bullettdodger
12/14/07 2:18:00AM
who holds a drunk guy while some other dudes whale on him, i mean come on... and besides... he didn't even assault the guy technically he just restrained him while another guy assaulted him, i personally just don't see where the prosecution's case is, but im sure it won't ruin his career... unless they want to make an "example" out of WarMachine.
CornishMMA
12/14/07 5:39:58AM
Damn thats some scary stuff, its weird to think you could go down for 7 years for just getting into a fight ......... and winning

Hope WAR comes through it ok and fights int he UFC again soon
DCRage
12/14/07 6:43:12AM
The victim's right in that last comment but I think both are equally at fault here. The victim should've chosen his words a bit more carefully and War Machine shouldn't have overreacted and did what he did.
moob
12/14/07 7:29:21AM
This is the kinda bs that pisses me off about society today - no one is willing to accept any blame/ramifications for their own actions.

Where I stay, if you're dumb enough to provoke someone and he turns around and kicks your ass, tough, you've learned a lesson. People generally don't go running to the cops for crap like that.
silverbullet
12/14/07 8:01:22AM
Koppenhaver held a guy down, while somebody else broke the dude's eye socket?! As a professional fighter he should have known better. I obviously don't know the whole story, but that sounds like a year in jail easy. I wish him luck, but if he did what he did, he has to face the consequences.
moob
12/14/07 8:44:41AM

Posted by silverbullet

Koppenhaver held a guy down, while somebody else broke the dude's eye socket?! As a professional fighter he should have known better. I obviously don't know the whole story, but that sounds like a year in jail easy. I wish him luck, but if he did what he did, he has to face the consequences.

Agreed, but like you said, we don't know the whole story.

From what I've read on other forums about this story, there was drunken provocation and stupidty on both sides, and one guy got his assed kicked. There is always more than one side to a story. The End.

I do hope Koppenhaver wasn't stupid enough to do what is alleged.
emfleek
12/14/07 8:44:41AM

Posted by silverbullet

Koppenhaver held a guy down, while somebody else broke the dude's eye socket?! As a professional fighter he should have known better.

No doubt. I don't know about everyone else here, but in my part of the country, we call that a punk bitch. It should NEVER be more than 1-on-1.
Boo_Radley21
12/14/07 9:22:49AM
This sucks I like War Machine. Maybe if he's lucky it will turn out like BJ's case
GlancyMMA
12/14/07 11:20:13AM
War Machine needs to learn how to keep that shit in the ring....

We know he's a tough guy and we know he's a skilled fighter.... there really nothing to prove in a parking lot with some stranger.

He got luck this time....

"Judge Frank Brown said the change in plea could result in a misdemeanor punishment. Zatkow (the guy War Machine choked out) told the court he thought a reduced punishment was OK because he believed a felony conviction would destroy Koppenhaver's career.

“I'm not interested in destroying somebody's life,” Zatkow said, noting that fighting should stay in the ring.

at least the guy who got his ass kicked is a nice considerate guy....
silverbullet
12/14/07 11:27:19AM

Posted by GlancyMMA

We know he's a tough guy and we know he's a skilled fighter.... there really nothing to prove in a parking lot with some stranger.

"Judge Frank Brown said the change in plea could result in a misdemeanor punishment. Zatkow (the guy War Machine choked out) told the court he thought a reduced punishment was OK because he believed a felony conviction would destroy Koppenhaver's career.

“I'm not interested in destroying somebody's life,” Zatkow said, noting that fighting should stay in the ring.

Hey where'd you find this?
emfleek
12/14/07 11:29:21AM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by GlancyMMA

Hey where'd you find this?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071213-1621-bn13fight2.html
pv3Hpv3p
12/14/07 11:41:06AM
I don't know if I read it wrong or what...

But does it say that the guys was choked from behind?

And then assulted?

If this is the case, what a bunch of pussies! Not only are they (or at least war) professionally trained fighters... Not only is the other guy drunk... But they have to choke him from behind and then assult an unconsious guy???

If I'm wrong then I'm sorry... But I don't care how much people like the guy, that's some bullshit if I ever heard it and he deserves what he gets...
madmarck
12/14/07 12:03:12PM

Posted by Svartorm

Hell, Mayhem Miller did the same thing, only he broke into a dudes house to do it, and I think he got off with a fine.

One of the things about court is that if a prosecutor plays up the fact you're a "trained fighter", and the defense lawyer knows his stuff, he can turn it around and thereby claim the prosecutor has accepted you as an expert in the field, and it allows you to make expert testimony in your own defense.

Well i think he proved that he kicked in the door of his Girlfriends house and the guy she was in bed with attacked him................... Miller just booted in a door and defended himself. Although usually guys who boot down their girlfriends doors are pretty angry.

As for Jon well it seems like there is some He said, He said going on.

I wonder what time of day the assault occured, b/c if the guy was drunk at 4pm then kinda hurts his cred.
mrsmiley
12/14/07 12:13:57PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I don't know if I read it wrong or what...

But does it say that the guys was choked from behind?

And then assulted?

If this is the case, what a bunch of pussies! Not only are they (or at least war) professionally trained fighters... Not only is the other guy drunk... But they have to choke him from behind and then assult an unconsious guy???

If I'm wrong then I'm sorry... But I don't care how much people like the guy, that's some bullshit if I ever heard it and he deserves what he gets...

Agreed.

The guy shouldn't get any special treatment just because he's a fighter.I'm not sure about all the details,but this just only goes to hurt sports more.
I was at the gas station today and when I looked at the paper the front page had an article about this kind of stuff (more on steroids though).In big bold letters the heading read: "Why their are no heroe's in sports today".
Why I could state a case for some athletes,with stuff like this happening all the time,I could see were this would make a very good debate in some areas.
GlancyMMA
12/14/07 1:10:22PM
It's on MMA News... a lot of good info about happened....

http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/TUF-Star-War-Machine-Pleads-Guilty-To-Assault-Charge.html
Biggee
12/14/07 3:38:31PM
Zatkow was drunk when walking by with a beer in hand. First off that's public intoxication, plus walking w/a beer in hand. I want charges on this guy.

Secondly,

Think, if ur drunk, u cant control all your actions, i guarantee they just got through training, were just standing outside talking, and the guy walked by and said "look at these tough guys" and they probably said what did you say, and then he talked some trash to him, because im sure he has some buddys with him, since his buddys testified as well. Then they beat the crap out of him.

1. If your going to talk trash, make sure ur buddys are cool enough friends to back him up.

2. If your zatkows friend, dont sit there and watch ur buddy get whooped, and not step in and help.

3. DONT TALK TRASH, I would of whooped his butt as well, i woudlnt of jumped him when he was down, but i dang sure would of whooped him standing up 1 on 1.

Guy deserved it if you ask me.

Yes war machine has some problems, you could tell that by the show, but the guy has heart. him and Jrocks fight is #1 in my book, so definately want to see thsi guy continue on.
emfleek
12/14/07 4:30:56PM

Then they beat the crap out of him.

There's absolutely NO EXCUSE (Zero, Zip, Notta) for more than 1 guy to "jump" or fight another guy. If you're not man enough to do it 1-on-1, you're not much of a man to begin with.

End. Of. Story.
cowcatcher
12/14/07 4:46:52PM
war machine doesnt seem like the most mentally stable guy, and im guessing the littlest thing could set him off. he might look like a decent fighter, but as a person he definately has some growing up to do.
madmarck
12/14/07 8:58:51PM
I found out who the gu y Jon allegedly Beat up is
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
skateongrass91
12/14/07 9:19:08PM
BLOWN i loved that guy, i think he should get off though
GrandMaster313
12/14/07 10:15:27PM
I dont know what the laws are there but in Michigan If you strike someone in the face it is considered attempt to do bodally(?)harm, which is a felony. However if you strike someone below the neck the assault charge is thrown out the window and 9 out 10 times you can claim self defense. That is why I will never strike someone in the face again. I have seen too many friends do hard time for cleaning someone's clock!
Svartorm
12/14/07 11:53:29PM
Thats a bizarre law. In NH as long as both guys actually want to fight, its legal, although you still have to pay the other guys medical bills if hes hurt.
GrandMaster313
12/15/07 12:19:22AM
oh don't get me wrong you can still get in trouble you just wont catch a felony !