TUF 13 Coaches Announced

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » TUF 13 Coaches Announced
Next Page »
FastKnockout
1/11/11 5:57:38PM
The big men of mixed martial arts are back on The Ultimate Fighter, but this time, they will be coaching, not competing.
UFC President Dana White announced today that former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and number one contender Junior dos Santos will match wits as the coaches of season 13 of the hit Spike TV reality series.

Following the season, which begins filming this month and begins airing on March 30, Lesnar and dos Santos will then match fists in the Octagon later in 2011.

This will be the first time either fighter has appeared on The Ultimate Fighter, which began airing on Spike in 2005. The last time heavyweights coached the show was during season eight in 2008, when dos Santos’ mentor, “Minotauro” Nogueira, faced off against former champion Frank Mir. This season, the two will coach a host of welterweight hopefuls looking to secure a UFC contract.

LINK
postman
1/11/11 6:00:08PM
My only question is Will this mean Stanky will be back?
FastKnockout
1/11/11 6:03:03PM
Wow, this season is going to suck. On one team, you have a former professional wrestler who will probably have less skills and fights than most of his team, and on the other side you have a Brazilian that doesn't know much english. Once again, ratings take priority over actual coaching.
postman
1/11/11 6:05:42PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Wow, this season is going to suck. On one team, you have a former professional wrestler who will probably have less skills and fights than most of his team, and on the other side you have a Brazilian that doesn't know much english. Once again, ratings take priority over actual coaching.

It is a tv show. Pretty sure ratings are the only goal. Your not going to find the best of the rest coming on the show anymore.
FastKnockout
1/11/11 6:13:19PM

Posted by postman

Posted by FastKnockout

It is a tv show. Pretty sure ratings are the only goal. Your not going to find the best of the rest coming on the show anymore.

Yeah, just sucks knowing that the first season was so great. Had two of the best fighters at the time coaching and most of the fighters ended up winning or fighting for the title.
RyanC
1/11/11 6:16:00PM
I'm not sure they could have made me any less interested. . . I don't usually watch the show in the first place so it doesn't really matter, but these coaches are a big "meh" for me. I certainly won't go out of my way to turn it on this season.
DCRage
1/11/11 6:21:18PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Didn't watch season 8?
gartface
1/11/11 6:23:36PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I'm almost positive that Lesnar will bring the Minnesota Martial Arts team, who aren't too shabby. They're not as great as Black House, but it's not like they're going to be coached by a former professional wrestler with no help.

This will get me watching the show after that dud last season. I actually like both of the coaches.
FastKnockout
1/11/11 6:31:12PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by FastKnockout

Didn't watch season 8?

Nope, I honestly didn't.
postman
1/11/11 6:33:01PM
Goze of mma junkie radio has just annouced Brock assitant coaches via Facebook:

Assistant Coaches 4 Team Lesnar announced! George The Animal Steele will oversee team nutrition, Mr. Fugi will put together the game plans, Kamala is in charge of strength and conditioning, and Brutus Beefcake will make sure Brock's fade is always tight.

FastKnockout
1/11/11 6:35:36PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by FastKnockout

I'm almost positive that Lesnar will bring the Minnesota Martial Arts team, who aren't too shabby. They're not as great as Black House, but it's not like they're going to be coached by a former professional wrestler with no help.

This will get me watching the show after that dud last season. I actually like both of the coaches.

In my opinion the only dud they made last season was Koscheck. I thought GSP was a great coach.

As for who Lesnar brings in to help, wouldn't be surprised to see his Death Clucth Gym, who he swears are some of the most elite Heavyweight training partners and coaches around.
BlueSkiesBurn
1/11/11 6:37:15PM
I can't wait to see all the Black House guys helping JDS' team out.
prozacnation1978
1/11/11 6:41:05PM
A couple notes

This came out of no where I would have never guessed this

Second will this be for interim title??

And he he fights in june. You can scratch out aug in brazil fight
More like oct in los angeles

And last. Why not edgar and maynard instead??
BlueSkiesBurn
1/11/11 6:44:47PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

A couple notes

No

Most likely

And because edgar and maynard are basically cut from the same mold. Lesnar and JDS have two different fighting styles.
RyanC
1/11/11 6:58:19PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I can't wait to see all the Black House guys helping JDS' team out.

If the Black House camp is on the show consistently I will watch. . .
icantthinkofanything
1/11/11 7:36:20PM
I think this is a very good choice considering Cains injury, for fight and tv reasons.

I would have thought that the lighter weights Lightweight-batamweight, would have been chosen to highlight the new dixisions and wec entering, but maybe next time.
postman
1/11/11 7:48:35PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

A couple notes

No

Most likely

And because edgar and maynard are basically cut from the same mold. Lesnar and JDS have two different fighting styles.

You saying no to a interim title because Kevin Iole is reporting JDS will fight for the Interim belt
BlueSkiesBurn
1/11/11 7:53:14PM

Posted by postman

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

A couple notes

No

Most likely

You saying no to a interim title because Kevin Iole is reporting JDS will fight for the Interim belt

Mike Chiapetta reported that there will be no interim title. The winner will just fight Cain.
postman
1/11/11 8:03:31PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by postman

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

A couple notes

No

Most likely

Mike Chiapetta reported that there will be no interim title. The winner will just fight Cain.

I miss the good old days of getting the whole story before braking the news
State_Champ
1/11/11 8:04:49PM
Oh god....
I used to really like Lesnar (because of the beating he put on Mir) but now I just want himto either A)learn how to kickbox or B) lose.
BustedKnuckle
1/11/11 8:36:00PM
I like this fight.....not too sure about the season of TUF!? I like that it is keeping the HW division in the mix while Cain is out! I also really like the fact that it is a #1 contender fight......no "interim" BS!!! JDS vs Lesnar is a very interesting match-up to me. JDS has all the tools striking to put Brock away quickly! He has a big gas tank and could were the big guy out. His jits has to be on par seeing as he trains with the NOG bros and Andy. Brock of course has his superior wrestling skill.......??? I mean his double leg TDs are horendous. He basicly does a "Bullrush" TD and hopes for the best. With footwork JDS should be able to take Brock out!! WAR DOS SANTOS!!!!!!!!!
roadking95th
1/11/11 8:36:22PM
Stankie, Stankie, Stankie!

There better be Stankie!
FastKnockout
1/11/11 9:17:59PM

Posted by postman

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by postman

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

A couple notes

No

Most likely

It depends on who you keep your eye on. I think Bloody Elbow, MMAJunkie, and Sherdog are the most reliable sources. They never release unreliable information and they usually keep updated 24/7. The two worst are MMABay and FiveKnuckles.

Earlier during the conference call MMABay released a statement saying Edgar and Maynard had been announced as coaches, and also added that they would not fight for the title, which was false. They are known for having posting false information. It all just depends on which sites and media personalities you keep up to date with.

As for the JDS/Lesnar interim title on the line, that is false. Both MMAJunkie and Sherdog were posting updates on Twitter during the conference, and both stated that there will be no interim title.
BigCountryFedor
1/11/11 9:30:13PM
No one else is excited that JDS will knock Brock out later this year?
postman
1/11/11 10:10:13PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by postman

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by postman

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

A couple notes

No

Most likely

It depends on who you keep your eye on. I think Bloody Elbow, MMAJunkie, and Sherdog are the most reliable sources. They never release unreliable information and they usually keep updated 24/7. The two worst are MMABay and FiveKnuckles.

Earlier during the conference call MMABay released a statement saying Edgar and Maynard had been announced as coaches, and also added that they would not fight for the title, which was false. They are known for having posting false information. It all just depends on which sites and media personalities you keep up to date with.

As for the JDS/Lesnar interim title on the line, that is false. Both MMAJunkie and Sherdog were posting updates on Twitter during the conference, and both stated that there will be no interim title.

Oh I know were to go but what i mean is the old days before the internet when they waited to get all the facts before they wrote stories. This is for every asspect of life if 6 we get information so quickly sometimes its great other times its rushed such as Frank edgar will fight Pettis there will not be a rematch not 2 hrs later there is a rematch. Or this guy who shot all those people in Arizona he has went from the right to the left to insane 6 times now
State_Champ
1/11/11 10:14:08PM

Posted by State_Champ

Oh god....
I used to really like Lesnar (because of the beating he put on Mir) but now I just want himto either A)learn how to kickbox or B) lose.

Upon reflection, I retract this statement.
I wouldn't mind if Lesnar won.
State_Champ
1/11/11 10:30:53PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by State_Champ

Oh god....

I like when the 'better fighter' loses to a fighter with a more limited skillset.
Franklinfan47
1/11/11 10:59:50PM
No one can deny that the UFC knows how to run a business. Lesnar will gross some serious moolah for them and spike tv.

Question, is JDS the first coach that can legit not speak english? I wonder how thats gonna work.
RearNakedJoke
1/11/11 11:20:12PM

Posted by postman

My only question is Will this mean Stanky will be back?

we can only hope so.
RearNakedJoke
1/11/11 11:23:40PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by State_Champ

Oh god....

I like when the 'better fighter' loses to a fighter with a more limited skillset.

Technically we havent seen much of JDS' ground game. We can only assume he has great BJJ because he trains with the Nogs, machida, A silva and other great BJJ guys but we havent seen much of it.

Pages: [1] 2