Tim Boetsch re-signs with UFC, agrees to UFC 117 fight with Thiago Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tim Boetsch re-signs with UFC, agrees to UFC 117 fight with Thiago Silva
runningman08
5/3/10 5:32:07PM
After posting a 3-0 record following his release from the Ultimate Fighting Championship in 2009, light heavyweight Tim Boetsch (11-3 MMA, 2-2 UFC) is returning to the organization to fight Thiago Silva (14-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at UFC 117 in August.

Sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com verbal agreements are in place and bout agreements will be finalized in the coming week.

The fight, first reported by Sherdog.com, takes place Aug. 7 at Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif.

Full Article -Here-
Caesarrrr
5/3/10 5:49:40PM
I don't see this as anything but a match to give thiago a win.
TheGodfather1024
5/3/10 6:04:38PM

Posted by Caesarrrr

I don't see this as anything but a match to give thiago a win.

Yea i don't see the point of this fight
MMA-San
5/3/10 6:36:03PM
I think its a good fight and Boetsch may win.
grappler0000
5/3/10 6:39:44PM
It's really good to see Tim get another shot, but I don't him winning.
icantthinkofanything
5/3/10 7:06:44PM
I agree this is a freeby to Thiago, but he deserves it, he one of the most exciting fighters UFC has imo.

Since Tim is a good wrestler its a good enough matchup to pass off, especially since Thiago lost to Rashad last fight.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/3/10 7:27:35PM
Thiago doesn't have a great tank of gas. If he did he could have finished Rashad. Boetsch's wrestling could help him out here if he can wear Silva down on the ground. It looks like a paper win for Thiago but who knows.
Caesarrrr
5/3/10 7:51:34PM
You're using his gas tank when compared to him having somewhat of a battle with Evans, and it's not as though his BJJ is horrible. Rashad is a class above Boetsch in wrestling, i wouldn't compare them.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/3/10 8:17:23PM
I didn't mean to imply that Boetsch had the same level of wrestling but Thiago doesn't look like he's built for decisions or 3 round wars.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
5/3/10 9:16:43PM
lame
chickmagnet
5/3/10 9:23:51PM
Underdog Bonus in the future for me. Ive always liked Boestch, and I think hes actually going to KO Thiago. About time they resigned him, he should have never got cut anyway.

WAR BARBARIAN
bjj1605
5/3/10 10:06:00PM
All you people discounting Boetsch may be in for a surprise. I'll probably be picking Thiago too, but this fight is not that clear cut.

Boetsch is powerful, a good wrestler, and fairly well rounded. Thiago sometimes gets overconfident which makes his defense lazy.

We'll see.
prozacnation1978
5/3/10 10:30:51PM
i really dont see how bader would not be ready by then
should be slugfest but glad to see boetsch back
sbulldavid
5/3/10 10:47:08PM
Yeah i'm a little uncertain about Silva, I used to think he would be a perenial top 5 guy, though probably not a champion, but I'm wondering if he's got some serious back problems with the way he has fought ever since the Machida fight, I know Machida can make people look bad, but Silva rarely throws anything but bombs anymore.
Playground_Samurai
5/3/10 11:02:03PM
Didn't Thiago just say that he wouldn't take a fight with Jon Jones because he wasn't on his level yet, or something along those lines? That may not be exactly what he said, but I know it was something close to that. Personally, I think this match up goes to show that Thiago may not want to fight Jones for other reasons.

That being said, I also think Boetsh has a fair chance at pulling off an upset. I'll still probably be picking Silva, though.

EDIT: Here's Silva's exact quote..."I think [Jones] is a wonderful fighter; he's doing a good job, putting on a good show," Silva said. "But I think he has to prove himself more to get the right to fight me. He’s doing fine, but he has to take a few more steps. I [want to] climb fast to the title shot, so I want people with the high ranking right now." link

I don't know how Tim fits in with what he's saying here, but whatever.
jae_1833
5/3/10 11:38:20PM
I don't think that Tim has the chin for it, but this is definately Thiago's fight to win/lose.
Sir_Karl
5/3/10 11:49:21PM
This is another example of why Joe Silva is not the superb matchmaker that he is always touted to be. This fight makes no logical sense when it comes to rankings. Boetsch is way too far down the ladder to be facing Thiago. Boetsch is maybe in the top 40...and that is "iffy". I would like to see Boetsch "bring it to him" a little. I think Thiago is going to mangle him though.
kaduey
5/4/10 1:06:07AM

Posted by Caesarrrr

You're using his gas tank when compared to him having somewhat of a battle with Evans, and it's not as though his BJJ is horrible. Rashad is a class above Boetsch in wrestling, i wouldn't compare them.

I'm pretty sure Boetsch has a more decorated wrestling background than Rashad. Evans didn't have a very stellar wrestling career.
lohmann
5/4/10 1:23:21AM

Posted by gspfan

Didn't Thiago just say that he wouldn't take a fight with Jon Jones because he wasn't on his level yet, or something along those lines? That may not be exactly what he said, but I know it was something close to that. Personally, I think this match up goes to show that Thiago may not want to fight Jones for other reasons.

That being said, I also think Boetsh has a fair chance at pulling off an upset. I'll still probably be picking Silva, though.

EDIT: Here's Silva's exact quote..."I think [Jones] is a wonderful fighter; he's doing a good job, putting on a good show," Silva said. "But I think he has to prove himself more to get the right to fight me. He’s doing fine, but he has to take a few more steps. I [want to] climb fast to the title shot, so I want people with the high ranking right now." link

I don't know how Tim fits in with what he's saying here, but whatever.

That made me laugh. Thiago Silva is probably a top ten light heavyweight, but his biggest win is over Keith Jardine. That hardly puts him on the tier of fighters that have a good enough reputation to turn down fights beneath their stature.

I would pick Boetsch if he had not demonstrated a garbage gas tank in the past. If this fight was a round long, I would pick him every time, though.

EDIT: Now that Griffin's forced to pull out of the fight with Nogueira, I would love to see Thiago Silva put his name in the hat for that challenge. Chances? Slim.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/4/10 2:59:44AM
What happened with Griffin? Did I miss that post?

EDIT: Ah, I researched it and found out he had a shoulder injury. Yeah, let's match up Silva and Little Nog
Caesarrrr
5/4/10 1:48:41PM
I just read a post someone made about Joe Silva and his matchmaking abilities, and you have to understand that this fight isn't for the rankings. This fight is completely to give Thiago a slightly competitive win, one that he will have to work for, but that he's the clear favorite in. The UFC definitely caters to it's top fighters in every division, and Thiago is somewhat of a fan favorite for his exciting fights.

In reference to Rashad's wrestling credentials, is a National Junior college championship not count for anything anymore? I'll be honest, I did some research and couldn't find anything on Boetsch, so I don't know what his credentials are, but Rashad wrestled at Michigan State, in a very competitive weight class.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/4/10 7:17:21PM
If you wrestle in the Big 10 you compete against Iowa, Rashad wrestled in the Big 10, enough said.