Sonnen vs. Munoz | Sanchez vs. Ellenberger likely to headline UFC on FOX 2

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Sonnen vs. Munoz | Sanchez vs. Ellenberger likely to headline UFC on FOX 2
emfleek
11/22/11 9:08:18AM
According to sources close to the fighters, Mark Munoz and Chael Sonnen will meet in a number one middleweight contender bout early next year. It looks to be the headliner of UFC on FOX 2 with rumors that Munoz’s teammate, Jake Ellenberger will also be featured against Diego Sanchez. Another rumored bout is Melvin Guillard vs Jim Miller for the event taking place on January 28th at the United Center in Chicago.

Sonnen has been on record saying he will stay active rather than wait for Anderson Silva to be ready to defend his title again. Munoz has a huge opportunity to fight his way into the number one contender slot he has stated he is gunning for. The winner will likely face Silva around June, as Dana White has stated that is the timetable for the undisputed champ’s return to action.

LINK
sparky
11/22/11 9:17:58AM
Both of these are great match ups......... Looking forward to the return of my boy Diego sucks he's fighting Ellenburger though I'm a fan of both guys should be a classic.
kingsmasher
11/22/11 9:52:46AM
Ellenburger is gonna eat Diego up...
Budgellism
11/22/11 9:56:49AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Agreed. I don't really have interest in this fight and I haven't since they started throwing it around a few weeks ago. It just doesn't make sense to me but I guess since everyone else is booked Sanchez is the only candidate now.

I think Ellenberger vs. Condit II and Sanchez vs. Koscheck II make more sense. Oh well though, Ellenberger will just get a chance to shine here.

The Sonnen/Munoz fight however, makes complete sense and should be a great battle.
kopower
11/22/11 10:38:25AM
I think this card is stacking up nicely. All of these fights would be very exciting to watch.
airkerma
11/22/11 11:17:52AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by kingsmasher

Agreed. I don't really have interest in this fight and I haven't since they started throwing it around a few weeks ago. It just doesn't make sense to me but I guess since everyone else is booked Sanchez is only only candidate now.

I think Ellenberger vs. Condit II and Sanchez vs. Koscheck II make more sense. Oh well though, Ellenberger will just get a chance to shine here.

The Sonnen/Munoz fight however, makes complete sense and should be a great battle.

I'm still clamoring for the Eberger vs Rory fight to dictate the future champ of WW and a win for berger over Sanchez will put him at the tip of the ice...berger. If he wins he will probably need another win to get the next shot, unless condit loses to kos. Then berger will fight fitch or just be next in line for GSP.
As for Monuz Sonnen, complete agreement.
DrivenDavies15
11/22/11 11:21:36AM
Wow now i am way too excited :D WAR MUNOZ AND SANCHEZ
Chael_Sonnen
11/22/11 11:47:46AM

Posted by kingsmasher

And Chael is gonna spit Mark out
40ouncetpkid
11/22/11 11:50:51AM
Damn good fights to headline! Maybe not the biggest names to draw ratings but their fights will easily deliver! I think munoz has a punchers chance but Thats it. You saw how leban and Okami easily stuffed his shots and i even think sonnen is the crisper striker. I think he will dominate munoz just dont know if it will be a late sub of decision.

However! I really like Diegos chances here. Ellenberger is a huge favorite and seems to get too cocky in that situation and u saw him almost blow it earlier this year getting outgrappled. Diego has so much heart and a damn good chin where i could see him getting hurt in the 1st and winning the last two like Condit. Hes the superior grappler, conditioning at a high pace, faster. Ellenberger probably has the wrestling advantage ONLY because hes bigger and has that one shot power HOWEVER,I dont see a huge gap in striking like kampman vs diego. Im not sold on ellenbergers boxing Its all power as far as Im concerned i havent seen him outsrike anybody just lay waste with one punch. He was even afraid to strike with Howard. So ill be waiting until weighins to pick this ass long as diego doesnt come in chubby like against kampman ill pick him. Serious live dog here. Dont see whats so damn special about ellenberger.
Twenty20Dollars
11/22/11 1:12:08PM
FastKnockout
11/22/11 1:26:17PM
I'm loving this card so far.

Ellenberger will beat Sanchez to a bloody pulp.

Sonnen will probably give Munoz a one sided beatdown.

Miller catches Guillard in submission in round 1.
Geoffo
11/22/11 4:23:52PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by kingsmasher

Agreed. I don't really have interest in this fight and I haven't since they started throwing it around a few weeks ago. It just doesn't make sense to me but I guess since everyone else is booked Sanchez is the only candidate now.

That makes soooo much more sense, but I don't think UFC wants to do contender elimination. They rather keep Condit AND Ellenberger so they can challenge for title. Just my thoughts.

On a side note. EASY PARLAYS: SONNEN + ELLENBERGER
Pookie
11/22/11 4:47:41PM
Sanchez will get lighted up if it stays on the feet, but Diego will test his Takedown defense seeing as Rocha was completely capable of taking Ellenberger down.
Bubbles
11/22/11 9:03:09PM

Posted by Geoffo

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by kingsmasher

That makes soooo much more sense, but I don't think UFC wants to do contender elimination. They rather keep Condit AND Ellenberger so they can challenge for title. Just my thoughts.

On a side note. EASY PARLAYS: SONNEN + ELLENBERGER

depends on the betting odds. you wont be getting much in return if both of these guys are around the -240 mark
Bubbles
11/22/11 9:06:06PM
i think Sonnen will outwrestle and use his gnp to a decision win. with Diego you never really know what the outcome will be. a controversial decision win (Kampmann), getting outgrappled (Hathaway), winning a slugfest (Guida), or get outclassed (Penn). i too will wait until the weigh ins to make my pick here
prozacnation1978
11/23/11 8:48:42AM
Really good fights. I just hope the amount of cards in 2012 doesn't water down
The pay per view events