Slipknot bassist Paul Gray dead.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Slipknot bassist Paul Gray dead.
Next Page »
babalu46
5/24/10 5:25:08PM
Link

Didn't know if anyone is bothered by this but i certainly didn't mind slipknot.
RyanC
5/24/10 5:29:56PM
Well that just ruined my day.
babalu46
5/24/10 5:33:49PM
I know it's not the most reliable source but i was checking out his wikipedia page after i heard the news and apparently him and his wife were expecting their first child this year which makes this suck even more.
RyanC
5/24/10 5:36:09PM
Say what you want about them, but Slipknot has been one of my favorite bands since about 1998 when Slipknot the album came out. I loved Paul as a bass player, and I will miss him. I can only hope that the facts surrounding his death do not make it all the more tragic.

RIP Paul Gray.
RyanC
5/24/10 5:41:01PM

Posted by babalu46

I know it's not the most reliable source but i was checking out his wikipedia page after i heard the news and apparently him and his wife were expecting their first child this year which makes this suck even more.

Leave it to a bunch of douchebags to make light of his death on the wiki page. There is all sorts of nonsense posted on there right now.
RyanC
5/24/10 6:37:39PM
Sources are suggesting his death appears to have been caused by a drug overdose.
jae_1833
5/24/10 7:21:32PM
To be honest I wouldn't doubt it, musicians are known for excessive drug use. That doesn't make it less tragic! R.I.P. Paul Gray....you will be missed!
mrsmiley
5/24/10 7:21:36PM
Crazy.

I was just looking at his signature series Peavy yesterday.
RyanC
5/24/10 7:24:23PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Crazy.

I've already got 2 basses, but I might have to buy one now.

EDIT: I didn't realize they were quite as expensive as they are. I will definitely still consider a purchase at some point.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 8:24:03PM
I only liked Slipknot when they were a three piece band signed to Revalation Records. Don't know if anyone remembers that.
mrsmiley
5/24/10 8:40:21PM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by mrsmiley

Crazy.

EDIT: I didn't realize they were quite as expensive as they are. I will definitely still consider a purchase at some point.

I've currently been trying to sell two basses of mine. Thinking of getting a Carvin or possibly a Warwick,though Peavy does have some very nice basses at reasonable prices. The signature basses are a pretty penny though.
I like slipknot,though it's not really my playing style bass wise.
I love a lot of metal music but I just can't get into playing it.
RyanC
5/24/10 9:21:52PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I only liked Slipknot when they were a three piece band signed to Revalation Records. Don't know if anyone remembers that.

As big of a fan as I am I don't remember that. They didn't exist to me until the self titled album came out. Still one of my favorite metal albums ever.
RyanC
5/24/10 9:25:59PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by RyanC

Posted by mrsmiley

Crazy.

I've currently been trying to sell two basses of mine. Thinking of getting a Carvin or possibly a Warwick,though Peavy does have some very nice basses at reasonable prices. The signature basses are a pretty penny though.
I like slipknot,though it's not really my playing style bass wise.
I love a lot of metal music but I just can't get into playing it.

I don't think I could get $50 for one of my basses which I've had since I was like 12, and the other is just a cheap Ibanzez Soundgear 5 String that I bought last year because I wanted a 5 String. I would love a Warwick, but for somone who plays strictly for fun, and who doesn't play a ton anymore it's for me to justify spending a lot of money on a bass. I could really play at one point in my life, but I just don't have the drive anymore now that I've grown up and realized that I'm not going to be a rockstar.

All that said I need to start playing more.

BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 9:32:37PM
Ryan, as your camp-mate, and an avid drummer, I highly suggest that you keep playing. Don't give up the dream of being a rockstar. Watch the movie Rockstar.
RyanC
5/24/10 9:36:22PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Ryan, as your camp-mate, and an avid drummer, I highly suggest that you keep playing. Don't give up the dream of being a rockstar. Watch the movie Rockstar.

Thank you for the encouragement. . . . I will never quit playing. I just don't play enough. I need to balance my life better. I don't make enough time to do all of the things that I love to do. I neglect one thing to do another. Maybe I'll work on that.
Jackelope
5/24/10 9:38:40PM
Slipknot as a whole has taken a beating the past couple of years. GREAT live band, great albums, great everything. Too much drama within the band and now this? Sucks terribly.

RIP
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 9:56:55PM
I'll take a lot of flak for this but I actually thought they were the sh*tiest band I have ever seen. We left in the middle of their set, they were so god awful. I wasn't there to see them anyhow, but yeah. I've always thought they were massively talented musicians, however. Again, I say, Slipknot on Rev Records was the only time I liked them.
emfleek
5/24/10 9:57:55PM

Posted by Jackelope

GREAT live band

RIP

Agreed. I'm not even a fan of metal, really. However, Slipknot was always an exception along with Pantera and White Zombie.

Sad.
Jackelope
5/24/10 10:07:36PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I'll take a lot of flak for this but I actually thought they were the sh*tiest band I have ever seen. We left in the middle of their set, they were so god awful. I wasn't there to see them anyhow, but yeah. I've always thought they were massively talented musicians, however. Again, I say, Slipknot on Rev Records was the only time I liked them.

Wow.. you must have went to an off show. I've literally never, ever heard anyone say a Slipknot show was anything but amazing. Between the beating of kegs with baseball bats, the general theatrics, and the energy alone they're awesome. That's not even mentioning the music. To each their own I guess.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 10:09:54PM
I have always envied Joey Jordison and Shawn Crahan. Epic drummers. I don't know much about bass.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 10:25:54PM

Posted by Jackelope

Wow.. you must have went to an off show. I've literally never, ever heard anyone say a Slipknot show was anything but amazing. Between the beating of kegs with baseball bats, the general theatrics, and the energy alone they're awesome. That's not even mentioning the music. To each their own I guess.

That's what I had heard, too. I was kind of shocked. I was excited because they use three percussionists. I don't even like them as a band but I love their talent. I don't know, maybe it was just a bad night.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 10:33:18PM
In all fairness, I worked in the music industry for quite a while. Good metal to me is subjective. I, often and unfairly, take my elitist opinion into shows with me. I've toned this down as I've gotten older but you can't re-imagine memories.
RyanC
5/24/10 10:39:31PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

If I could prop you I would.

When I saw them the first time in 99 it was absolutely unbelievable. They looked like a bunch of serial killers with instruments. Assaulting each other. Doing flips and landing on the ground, the kegs and bats, Shawn, Chris, and Sid jumping on and off of the custom drum kits. Just unbelievable. It was so raw, and different.

When I saw them last year it was a world apart from the early days. Obviously after Grammy awards, and millions and millions of albums sold the production behind the show was much more put together. The stage setup, the pyro, Joey and the insanity with his drum kit flying through the air and spinning upside down. But the energy and the insanity were still there. The complete abandon that they brought to the stage never changed.

I love them as a band, and I love their music, but as performers they are tough to top.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 10:42:12PM
See, percussion is the only thing I care for. I was excited to see them and it was just a let down. I don't know what happened. It was a weird night all around.
RyanC
5/24/10 10:45:17PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

See, percussion is the only thing I care for. I was excited to see them and it was just a let down. I don't know what happened. It was a weird night all around.

Too bad really. That concert in 99 is still one of my fondest memories of seeing a performance. I've probably been to 150 shows since then and it's still probably in my top 5. Two of the other top 5 are Tool if that gives you a sense of how much I enjoyed it.
RyanC
5/24/10 10:46:59PM
Paul, and James
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
RyanC
5/24/10 10:52:55PM
Paul Gray unmasked

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 10:53:14PM
Nightwish was one of my favorite shows. That was beyond epic. Hatebreed, as much as I hate their style of music these days, has always been amazing live. 30 Seconds to Mars, while I never liked their stuff, I scored free backstage passes and they even rank up there with those two bands.
RyanC
5/24/10 10:54:46PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Nightwish was one of my favorite shows. That was beyond epic. Hatebreed, as much as I hate their style of music these days, has always been amazing live. 30 Seconds to Mars, while I never liked their stuff, I scored free backstage passes and they even rank up there with those two bands.

Hatebreed blew the roof off of a venue up here last winter.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/24/10 10:56:03PM
Jasta just cracks me up. He's such an awesome guy and I can't get over his lack of thumbs but they always knock my socks off.
Pages: [1] 2