Silva syndrome spreading.....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Silva syndrome spreading.....
SmileR
5/25/08 8:23:45PM
I remember just over a year ago Anderson looked like the only unstoppable champ.... Well his unstoppableness is is spreading! GSP and now Penn have both devastating destroyed the ex champs. The ex champs who would on any given day win the majority of contenders in a devastating fashion.

All these guys are young, and have many, many years of fighting ahead of them.
The question I have is with athletes like these at the top of their devisions, who or what is going to have to come along to knock them off the top of their devisions?...

Are these the future of MMA? How long until all the contenders in the devisions have the same skill set as the champs? Or are these champions just freaks with a unnatural skill set?
jiujitsufreak74
5/25/08 8:40:21PM
I honestly don't see anyone beating them either. they all have an air of invincibility at the moment, but we may all be falling prey to availability heuristics when proclaiming them unstoppable. i don't think i have to remind you when everyone thought AA was unstoppable, or when Chuck Liddell couldn't be beat. when the lost, hindsight is 20/20 and we all made excuses; but when it comes down to it anyone can be defeated. that is why they fight, and although it doesn't seem like either of them can lose i am sure that at least one of them will lose in the near future.
Kpro
5/25/08 8:50:36PM
Each of the 3 win 6/10 from anyone else in their division in the UFC.

But I still firmly believe Shields would beat GSP more often than not.
89vision
5/25/08 9:11:37PM
Im pretty sure BJ would beat GSP this time around and finish him, its my opinion that he stay at 155 however, he didnt even look tired in the Sherk fight at the end of the fight (or in the fight) that is his weight class for sure, Id like to see him avenge his b/s loss to Hughes before he moves back up for a WW title shot

As for Anderson, someone needs to go Ryo Chonan on him or he will be champ until he retires, would anyone be disappointed if he keeps winning? hell no you shouldnt, hes easily one the most exciting champs of all time and when he retires he will be known as the greatest MW champ of all time, were witnessing history

GSP and Rampage are the champs i would worry about most, while GSP's chin is suspect the rest of his game is pretty tight, which leads me to think one of the rising stars with dangerous power like Alves will knock him out on the feet, and we all know rampage's achilles heel is the thai clinch and the LH division is so damn stacked what with Goran "mini cro cop" and Wand gettin back in the mix now, i think he beats forrest but hes got a landslide of talent to beat

Nog is a champ i dont worry about, hes good at everything, he can outbox you out jits you and out cardio you, i can only see him being beat on a decision or a freak knockout, the division is also the weakest so theres not a lot of challengers now that they rid of Andrei and Tim, and alienated Aleks and Fedor
aaa9erh8er
5/25/08 10:15:03PM

Posted by 89vision

Im pretty sure BJ would beat GSP this time around and finish him, its my opinion that he stay at 155 however, he didnt even look tired in the Sherk fight at the end of the fight (or in the fight) that is his weight class for sure, Id like to see him avenge his b/s loss to Hughes before he moves back up for a WW title shot

As for Anderson, someone needs to go Ryo Chonan on him or he will be champ until he retires, would anyone be disappointed if he keeps winning? hell no you shouldnt, hes easily one the most exciting champs of all time and when he retires he will be known as the greatest MW champ of all time, were witnessing history

GSP and Rampage are the champs i would worry about most, while GSP's chin is suspect the rest of his game is pretty tight, which leads me to think one of the rising stars with dangerous power like Alves will knock him out on the feet, and we all know rampage's achilles heel is the thai clinch and the LH division is so damn stacked what with Goran "mini cro cop" and Wand gettin back in the mix now, i think he beats forrest but hes got a landslide of talent to beat

Nog is a champ i dont worry about, hes good at everything, he can outbox you out jits you and out cardio you, i can only see him being beat on a decision or a freak knockout, the division is also the weakest so theres not a lot of challengers now that they rid of Andrei and Tim, and alienated Aleks and Fedor

except one thing i think gsp beats BJ i actually think gsp has imporved more sence that fight then bj has and i see him finishing the fight tko style. but other then that spot one man
warglory
5/25/08 10:27:51PM
The thing is guys, this isn't the first time we have encountered supposedly "unstoppable" champions. How long was Wanderlei a champion for? Do we all remember when Chuck was at his prime with the title? Matt Hughes, Mirko, Shogun and even guys like Royce Gracie back in the day were all labeled as being unstoppable, and when they did finally receive some losses, people began to realize they were normal people with vulnerabilities. I think what gives fighters their aura is the fact that they don't perform as much as athletes in other sports do, so when a fighter strings together 3 or 4 spectacular fights like Anderson Silva, its very easy for hype to reach epic proportions over the year or so that these fights would take place.

I think poor CroCop is the perfect example of this, he was able to string together some impressive victories, but I think the hype was bigger than the man. Mirko even today is this mythical beast amongst the hardcore fans, yet upon entering the UFC, we saw some serious chinks in his armor. Does this mean his legacy as a fighter is tarnished? I don't think it will be in a big way, and I think CroCop is an incredible fighter. Silva will lose his title probably in 2009, I could seriously see GSP losing his to Fitch, and there are wayyyyy too many good lightweight fighters to think that Penn will reign supreme for an unGodly amount of time. Would it surprise anyone to see a whole new set of champions by the end of 2009?
SpiderSilva
5/25/08 10:46:54PM
If GSP uses his Wrestling he is unstoppable vs any current wrestler at 170 and lets not forget he has vary good standup I dont see Fitch winning he has just moved to the best of the best time will tell the only one I thought that could beat Sherk at 155 was BJ as of now I think the only one could put up a fight vs BJ would still be Sherk Kenflo will get killed in both standup and ground. and sense Kenny is fighting Hureta we all know what Guida did BJ would finish anyone and we all know BJ want compatition so he probly gonna move back to 170 hopefully he wont eat his way there and do it right his head seems to be in the right place. Also if Okami uses his takedown abillty and doesnt pull a Hendo he has a pretty good chance of winning. Rampage has gotten better in the cage his next 3 fights will prove if he is real
Manfred
5/25/08 11:02:43PM
I think more than skill level, it'll take one of these guys getting over-confident and underestimating someone to lose right now. Look at GSP-Serra 1. I don't buy that GSP didn't train, but I think he under-estimated Serra's stand-up. That why he immediately took him down the second time around.

Chuck fell into the "rock star" mentality, IMO and thought he was unstoppable. Then Rampage "just caught him" and he took Jardine lightly because it was supposed to be a gimme. The problem is, Chuck saw it as a gimme too and Jardine took it as an opportunity.
89vision
5/26/08 12:08:07AM

Posted by aaa9erh8er
except one thing i think gsp beats BJ i actually think gsp has imporved more sence that fight then bj has and i see him finishing the fight tko style. but other then that spot one man

alright, i just dont agree with that then
puppetmaster837
5/26/08 1:31:32AM

Posted by Manfred

I think more than skill level, it'll take one of these guys getting over-confident and underestimating someone to lose right now. Look at GSP-Serra 1. I don't buy that GSP didn't train, but I think he under-estimated Serra's stand-up. That why he immediately took him down the second time around.

Chuck fell into the "rock star" mentality, IMO and thought he was unstoppable. Then Rampage "just caught him" and he took Jardine lightly because it was supposed to be a gimme. The problem is, Chuck saw it as a gimme too and Jardine took it as an opportunity.

Thats why i think Silva will hold his title for such a long time. He seems to give every opponent the amount of respect they deserve and never takes people lightly. Every time he steps into the octagon you know its the best Silva that there is.

I also think thats whats gonna make Machida such a force. In his interviews you can tell that he doesn't care about pre fight hype or all the showy parts of the sport. He just trains hard everyday and comes in focused and ready. Thats the only way to stay a champion