Sherk vs Edgar

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Sherk vs Edgar
Aether
5/24/09 2:23:40AM
Am I the only one who thinks even after watching the fight that Sean could easily have won this?

Sean... You're a wrestler with 2 foot long T-Rex arms. Come on man. Shoot for the takedown please!!

I can only think that he must be aware of the criticisms of his fighting style while he was champion and is trying to make his fights more exciting. If so, that's admirable, and I will pick him to lose, but realistically it seems like he's pretty much abandoned his biggest strengths which are obviously his wrestling and cardio.

The first time he actually attempted a TD was in the 3rd round and he scored it quite easily. I'm really not understanding this new version of Sherk. His hands are not that bad but he has an obvious physical limitation when it comes to standup.
kopower
5/24/09 2:41:03AM
I hear ya. I kept yelling to shoot because he was losing the stand up exchanges. I hope he mixes it up for his next fight. He has two very good weapons that he should use to keep opponents off balance and win all the UD he wants
fizzle
5/24/09 2:57:41AM
I should have listened to Pookie more, he said that Edgar's boxing was ahead of Sherk's and I choose to take that with a grain of salt. Edgar impressed me tonight and I now acknowledge him as a legitimate contender. The kid has a ways to go but he is most definitely on his way.
Aether
5/24/09 3:05:37AM
I knew that Frankie was a little better in the standup, but I just thought it wouldn't matter because Sherk would do what he normally does and blanket him. I'm confused by this strategy. I don't think Frankie could have kept the fight standing if Sherk used his strength.

His entire physical structure and training is being wasted by doing this IMO. His physical strength, compact body, and incredible cardio are huge tools for wearing opponents down very quickly. He can just outmuscle them and tire them out, and control the fight, but a casual sparring match isn't going to tire any fighter out.

I don't know, I'm just baffled by the strategy he's employing. To me, he just handed that fight to his opponent on a silver platter.
loonytnt
5/24/09 3:11:18AM
i think he needs to learn his hands need to be a set up to take people down
babytater03
5/24/09 9:10:52AM
the entire 2nd and 3rd round i was thinking the same thing.

I thought for sure Sherk would have gotten it through his head his "t-rex arms" weren't gonna win him the stand up, buuuuuuuuuutttt...i was wrong
Jackelope
5/24/09 9:17:10AM

Posted by Aether

Am I the only one who thinks even after watching the fight that Sean could easily have won this?

Sean... You're a wrestler with 2 foot long T-Rex arms. Come on man. Shoot for the takedown please!!

I can only think that he must be aware of the criticisms of his fighting style while he was champion and is trying to make his fights more exciting. If so, that's admirable, and I will pick him to lose, but realistically it seems like he's pretty much abandoned his biggest strengths which are obviously his wrestling and cardio.

The first time he actually attempted a TD was in the 3rd round and he scored it quite easily. I'm really not understanding this new version of Sherk. His hands are not that bad but he has an obvious physical limitation when it comes to standup.

Were you sitting next to me last night? I swear I said the exact same thing to all my buddies Sherk could have and should have won that fight. He just had a piss poor gameplan.

On the one hand you can say that Edgar has a great ground game, but that's nothing Sherk hasn't faced before in Penn and Florian. I dunno. Maybe he just wants to "be exciting"
Twenty20Dollars
5/24/09 11:30:09AM
Ever since sherk lost the title after testing positive. Sherk has become different.

Look at the last 3 fights

Loss to Bj, didnt attempt to take him down. And Whiffed on a huge number of punches.

Win over Griffin, no takedowns could have lost that fight.

Loss to Edgar, got picked apart and 1 takedown late. Missed a lot of punches.

I dont know what kinda gameplan he is thinking, I mean he has 33 wins why would you change it up if ground and pound was working for you.
sparky
5/24/09 12:24:31PM
Frankie is the man he made Sherk look silly. I was quiet surpirsed with what happened but loved every second of it.
Franklinfan47
5/24/09 12:48:08PM
I was surprised by sherks strategy and eventual loss as well. I think he needs to switch things up if he ever hopes to be in the title picture again. Nice upset!
Wallass
5/24/09 2:59:37PM
Im a big Edgar fan but yeah Sherk should have been able to take this one. Good for Edgar for proving me wrong.
TNPanther78
5/24/09 3:07:16PM
Sherk should have taken him down in the early and ground and pound, but he wanted to stand up and it cost him. I was dissapointed that he lost that fight.
Pookie
5/24/09 3:12:54PM
that 5 inch reach was huge for edgar in that fight.

The grappling reminded me of Lesnar v. COuture a bit. You had sherk who was the obviously bigger and stronger of the two but edgar had better technique and his base was just as low to the ground as sherks. niether of them could really outgrapple the other. Didnt edgar get up fairly quickly as well?

I believe that edgars wrestling prowess had something to do with sherk coming in with a boxing strategy, just like he did with penn.
Wolfenstein
5/24/09 3:28:39PM
You would think that after Sherk came in with a similar gameplan against BJ Penn that he would have learned his lesson. His boxing is only going to be effective against another T-Rex (Tyson Griffin).

This is a fight I kind of just glossed over, because I felt like it was pretty much a forgone conclusion. I didn't think Frankie had such a distinctive reach advantage because he's a pretty short guy--but when I saw he had a five inch reach advantage in the tale of the tape--I kind of had one of those "oh crap" moments. After the first round, it kind of seemed like the writing was on the wall--but you know hindsight being 20/20 and all.

I'm not sure if Sherk could hold Frankie down, because Frankie got to his feet pretty easilly at one point--although he did give up his back and that kind of mistake may have spelled his doom against a submission stylist, but against a wrestler it's maybe a little less risky. Certainly either way it would have given him better odds.

Frankie looked good--really slick on his feet, and very quick. A victory over Sherk is really impressive--but it's hard not to notice his lack of punching power, and I think eventually his inability to hurt guys is going to catch up to him when guys can come after him with no respect for his power.
HMA123
5/24/09 3:38:23PM
Sean Sherk has been my favorite fighter since day 1. Love the guy,his hands definetly have improved but still don't understand like the rest of you WHY NOT TRY AND TAKE HIM DOWN MORE. I can see one round standing and seeing how's it going but if Edgar is playing the the hit and run,and has a good game plan like that,shoot.

Off night for Sean, hands down to Edgar.
Aether
5/24/09 4:14:52PM
I agree that it would've been no easy task to hold frankie down, but still look at how easily he got the TD. Even if he couldn't hold him just constantly taking him down would've been enough to win the fight and tire Frankie out.

Not to take anything away from Edgar, he showed great technical standup, I just think that Sherk's gameplan was foolish and that was his fight to lose.
Pookie
5/24/09 4:51:22PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

--but it's hard not to notice his lack of punching power, and I think eventually his inability to hurt guys is going to catch up to him when guys can come after him with no respect for his power.

But who can do that and still avoid the takedown? Bj Penn is the only fighter at the moment in the entire UFC division that can fit both roles.