Ryan Gracie Dead

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ryan Gracie Dead
Next Page »
texuspete00
12/15/07 8:33:42AM
Shortly after being arrested for vehicle jacking, he's found dead in a prison cell in sao paulo.

http://www.graciemag.com/news/144/ARTICLE/8912/2007-12-15.html
juanez13
12/15/07 9:23:27AM
damn man this is ****** up
Branwest
12/15/07 9:27:03AM
If he was in the cell by himself, like the article says, then the only thing I can think of that would have killed him is a drug overdose. It doesn't say that he hung himself or slashed his wrist, etc., it just says they "found him" dead in the cell.
This sucks.
My thought and prayers go out to the entire Gracie family.
grappler0000
12/15/07 9:45:51AM
No F'in way!
buryyourdead
12/15/07 9:58:58AM
That's shitty he was fun too watch. Who didn't see that coming though? Last I heard before this he got shot in the leg fighting with cops. They weren't ******* around when they called him the bad boy Gracie. He was like the Stu Ungar of MMA minus all the world championships. I'm gonna watch a few of his fights today though. Probably Bushido when he freaks out and stomps the guy out. Then the one where he freaks out on the ref and the ref apparently pisses him off enough to throw an armbar on the guy in the singlet. I allways held on to the hope that I'd get too see him in the ring again. Oh well life is nuts. RIP Ryan. Anyone who ever saw you fight will not forget you .
madmarck
12/15/07 9:59:43AM
this is messed up im waiting fro my details to make a assumption
jahdoug
12/15/07 10:21:26AM

Posted by Branwest

If he was in the cell by himself, like the article says, then the only thing I can think of that would have killed him is a drug overdose. It doesn't say that he hung himself or slashed his wrist, etc., it just says they "found him" dead in the cell.
This sucks.
My thought and prayers go out to the entire Gracie family.

They wouldnt say they found him with his wrists slit etc even if they did...they tend to say "died unexectedly" or a euphemism like that. Also if he was willing to run via robbing first an elderly person then this guy for his bike i such a amateurish way...he must have been either willing to die to avoid jail or running from someone/something that could find him in jail.....either way the end result sucks. RIP Ryan and good luck to his family in dealing with this.
juanez13
12/15/07 10:45:15AM
to me these seems like a drug overdose.....robbing people like that, seems to me like possibly the drugs caused him to act that way, even might have caused him to take his own life....
Rush
12/15/07 11:10:05AM
Wow, this is crazy.

There are so many possiblities for the death

Suicide
Drug overdose
Death by the police (tasering)

The reason why the cause of death was not published was because they don't know yet. However, I am skeptical even when it will be announced because I've heard that some of the police are pretty corrupt in Brazil, especially in a place like São Paulo.
Mastodon2
12/15/07 11:31:43AM
Yep, the cops are bent in SP. I have a very good friend from that city, and he aint no mouthy kid (he is actually about 50) and he attests that the cops are bad in SP, they are bad in all of Brazil. There is a lot of corruption and brutality, since everyone just looks the other way.

Ryan was a suspected criminal and as we know, had a real temper too. Never trust what they eventually tell you, for all we know, he might got mouthy and then been beaten to death in his cell. We will never know the truth - if the police killed him, it will be covered up, so sadly whatever cause of death the coroner states may not have been his reason for leaving this earth.
rcg916
12/15/07 12:15:55PM
Damn. What a shame.
JimiMak
12/15/07 12:24:17PM
Damn, RIP, I just read about this before coming here. A sad day for mma.
Vendetta
12/15/07 12:37:39PM
Really sad. Ryan wasn't always the nicest of guys but he was a fierce competitor and it's a shame to see him go out like this. RIP Ryan.
cmill21
12/15/07 1:16:06PM

Posted by Rush

Wow, this is crazy.

There are so many possiblities for the death

Suicide
Drug overdose
Death by the police (tasering)

The reason why the cause of death was not published was because they don't know yet. However, I am skeptical even when it will be announced because I've heard that some of the police are pretty corrupt in Brazil, especially in a place like São Paulo.

I think it will be shown he died from the beating he took with the helmets.
supatolacyl
12/15/07 1:31:29PM
The first article said he was hit in thte head with motorcycle helmets, that could have given him a slow bleed in his brain. Hell it could of even been a brain tumor, they are none to make people do crazy things and could result in death. More realisticly would be drugs but, it sure is a shame. I hope he finds peace now rip ryan gracie
pv3Hpv3p
12/15/07 1:39:29PM
RIP
cowcatcher
12/15/07 2:00:51PM
unbelievable, the past two days of news about him are mind blowing. he was not the most stable individual, but no one deserves to leave this earth at that age, RIP ryan.
riceavenger
12/15/07 2:16:49PM
Apparently according to prison toxicologists, he was hopped on up on cocaine/crack at the time of his arrest.
loller90278
12/15/07 2:31:36PM
relax in paradise ryan gracie.
i'll say my condolences tonight at the gym.=
MixedMartialArts
12/15/07 2:47:55PM
R.I.P Ryan
rcg916
12/15/07 2:48:32PM

Posted by riceavenger

Apparently according to prison toxicologists, he was hopped on up on cocaine/crack at the time of his arrest.

got a link?
ncordless
12/15/07 4:20:32PM
RIP

It kind of sounded like he was in the cell with others. If he was out of his mind and violent on crack in that cell, the other prisoners might of ganged up on him and gotten rid of the problem. Just a hunch... but I doubt there are many solitary cells in Sao Paulo.
DCRage
12/15/07 4:30:53PM

Posted by rcg916

Posted by riceavenger

got a link?

According to the statement I just read, it's only been SUGGESTED that drugs are thought to be involved, but nothing has been confirmed. So the original statement is not necessarily true.

As for my thoughts on this, I was like geez, no way this could be true-he couldn't have gone from being arrested to dead on not even 24 hours! Definitely very surprised to hear about this, like everyone else I'm just going to wait for more information to come out because it's way too soon to be jumping to conclusions.
juanez13
12/15/07 4:31:12PM

Posted by ncordless

RIP

It kind of sounded like he was in the cell with others. If he was out of his mind and violent on crack in that cell, the other prisoners might of ganged up on him and gotten rid of the problem. Just a hunch... but I doubt there are many solitary cells in Sao Paulo.

"Black belt Ryan Gracie was found dead in the cell where he was being held at a police station in Sao Paulo after having been accused of car theft yesterday in the city of Sao Paulo. When policemen at the station were checking the cells with their detainees, they found the fighter fallen in a corner. They entered and confirmed that he was dead. At around 10 am, coroners were already at the location to do the necessary exams and send the body to the institute. According to the State Secretariat of Public Security, Ryan was alone in the cell."

thats from mmamania.com, so apparently he was alone in his cell, i think its a combination of being beaten by the helmets and possibly cops too, and a drug overdose, or at least very close to it....
rcg916
12/15/07 4:48:07PM

Posted by DCRage

According to the statement I just read, it's only been SUGGESTED that drugs are thought to be involved, but nothing has been confirmed. So the original statement is not necessarily true.

As for my thoughts on this, I was like geez, no way this could be true-he couldn't have gone from being arrested to dead on not even 24 hours! Definitely very surprised to hear about this, like everyone else I'm just going to wait for more information to come out because it's way too soon to be jumping to conclusions.

Thanks for the update bro...

Im with DC, Im going to wait for details before I start guessing about his death.
ncordless
12/15/07 5:16:36PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by ncordless

RIP

"Black belt Ryan Gracie was found dead in the cell where he was being held at a police station in Sao Paulo after having been accused of car theft yesterday in the city of Sao Paulo. When policemen at the station were checking the cells with their detainees, they found the fighter fallen in a corner. They entered and confirmed that he was dead. At around 10 am, coroners were already at the location to do the necessary exams and send the body to the institute. According to the State Secretariat of Public Security, Ryan was alone in the cell."

thats from mmamania.com, so apparently he was alone in his cell, i think its a combination of being beaten by the helmets and possibly cops too, and a drug overdose, or at least very close to it....

ok cool... then that's one thing out the window.
Naturaldisaster
12/15/07 6:13:19PM
damn! he was my favorite of all the gracies. thats pretty messed up
Basshandsome
12/15/07 8:06:27PM
RIP

yanks1523
12/15/07 8:32:30PM
wow crazy it says he was alone in his cell was it suicide or medical?
fullerene
12/15/07 8:38:03PM
Sorry he couldn't turn himself around. I always thought this type of thing was likely for him.
Pages: [1] 2