Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years
emfleek
1/18/11 10:28:04AM
TOKYO (AFP) – Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realise this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.

Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cell from which the nuclei have been removed, to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, the report said.

The embryo will then be inserted into an elephant's uterus in the hope that the animal will eventually give birth to a baby mammoth.

The elephant is the closest modern relative of the mammoth, a huge woolly mammal believed to have died out with the last Ice Age.

LINK
cowcatcher
1/18/11 10:44:50AM
Give the Japanese scientists some mammary cannons and you have a sci-fi novel by Dr. Ronald Chevalier right there!

grappler0000
1/18/11 10:49:28AM
I think I'm having deja vu. I haven't read the article yet, but I watched a program probably 6 or 8 years ago where they had the same exact plans. I wonder what happened with that. Perhaps it's google time.
jae_1833
1/19/11 12:58:10AM
Nothing to gain by doing this other than proving that it's possible, at least resurrect something that is cool......go all out or don't bother!
Kpro
1/19/11 1:05:46AM

Posted by jae_1833

Nothing to gain by doing this other than proving that it's possible

Tell that to someone who is into beastiality vids!
mkiv9secsupra
1/19/11 1:31:16AM
resurrect a velociraptor and ill be impressed
Kpro
1/19/11 1:36:00AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

BlueSkiesBurn
1/19/11 5:58:32AM
I find stuff like this rather stupid on the part of science. Clearly these species died out for a reason and some species are not "wise" to bring back. I guess you could say it's "cool." I just wonder what exactly this accomplishes other than proving you did it. It's not like you have the ability to produce the opposite sex for them to mate.

By the way KPro, I just noticed something. Who the in the hell appointed you the Cabella's Big Game Hunter accuracy winner? I'm pretty sure we had this competition on Facebook and I was fairly confident that I was far more accurate with my "gun" when it mattered than you.

I call bullshit!
mrsmiley
1/19/11 8:14:07PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

That may well become possible too but it is believed it will take 50 to 100 years to produced something truley viable. Though with the current test and experiments their doing as of now I wouldn't be suprise to see a dino/bird hybrid within the next 10-20.
ncordless
1/21/11 4:52:25AM
When they get it done, they should make the mammoth play Snuffleupagus to pay off the bills of being resurrected.
Also, who wouldn't pay $$ to go on a prehistoric mammoth hunt? A few friends, some spears, some booze, a few thousand acres, a weekend, and a couple mammoth sounds like a fun time to me.
mrsmiley
1/21/11 5:08:06AM

Posted by ncordless

When they get it done, they should make the mammoth play Snuffleupagus to pay off the bills of being resurrected.
Also, who wouldn't pay $$ to go on a prehistoric mammoth hunt? A few friends, some spears, some booze, a few thousand acres, a weekend, and a couple mammoth sounds like a fun time to me.

Don't let PETA hear you say that my friend. Now that I think about it a mammoth steak sounds awfully good.
I remember in Michael Crichtons the Lost World their's a section where the I believe it was the character Malcom talking about how rich hunters would long for a triceratops head on their wall if they only knew what was on those islands.
cowcatcher
1/21/11 10:21:19AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Now that I think about it a mammoth steak sounds awfully good.

No dude, you do that and the zombie apocalypse is upon us. Eating cloned versions of extinct animals is a sure fire way to bring that down on us.
emfleek
1/21/11 10:27:28AM

Posted by cowcatcher

No dude, you do that and the zombie apocalypse is upon us. Eating cloned versions of extinct animals is a sure fire way to bring that down on us.

A zombie apocalypse is a small price to pay if you're getting an epic steak dinner in exchange.
cowcatcher
1/21/11 10:35:35AM
The gentleman from Wisconsin concedes to the distinguished member form Indiana.
mrsmiley
1/21/11 6:31:17PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by cowcatcher

A zombie apocalypse is a small price to pay if you're getting an epic steak dinner in exchange.

Ha,ha. Exactly. If the Zombie apocalypse comes as a result of something the playgrounds very own Mr.Smiley does,well i'm flushed with honor. Bring on the mammoth steak!
Kpro
1/22/11 9:50:57AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

By the way KPro, I just noticed something. Who the in the hell appointed you the Cabella's Big Game Hunter accuracy winner? I'm pretty sure we had this competition on Facebook and I was fairly confident that I was far more accurate with my "gun" when it mattered than you.

I call bullshit!

I polled the ladies from the hotel room and they unanimously voted for me. There's no rule in our democracy that says voters have to be sober, so I'll continue to keep my accuracy trophy on my mantle.
Boo_Radley21
1/25/11 4:23:42PM
Is there nothing better we can do with our money?