Report: Rafael dos Anjos-Conor McGregor, Holly Holm-Miesha Tate for UFC 197, Las Vegas

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Report: Rafael dos Anjos-Conor McGregor, Holly Holm-Miesha Tate for UFC 197, Las Vegas
kopower
1/7/16 10:42:05PM
Brace yourself, but UFC 197 looks like it might just be a blockbuster.

Bleacher Report indicated that UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos will meet featherweight champ Conor McGregor in the main event of UFC 197, while women’s bantamweight champ Holly Holm will face Miesha Tate in the night’s co-feature.

MMAjunkie subsequently confirmed the likely bookings with multiple people who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to publicly speak on such matters. UFC officials declined comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.

Link
Braden
1/7/16 11:38:18PM
Oh boy, this is one I'll have to try and attend. Thought McGregor would fight RDA in March or April and thought Holm/Tate would be around that time as well. Knowing both are on the same card makes me want to attend it even more!
kopower
1/8/16 12:53:21AM
Hopefully this ends up being true. I'd love to see RDA test McGregors ground game. I'm a little surprised uncle Dana would risk Conor getting dominated. I think Frankie is a much better style match up for McGregor, and a better draw at this point.
prozacnation1978
1/8/16 12:53:44AM

Posted by Five-Alive

Oh boy, this is one I'll have to try and attend. Thought McGregor would fight RDA in March or April and thought Holm/Tate would be around that time as well. Knowing both are on the same card makes me want to attend it even more!

No memorial day weekend in vegas this year
First time ever. Pretty much wraps this one up for me to attend now.

And 198 if it hits anaheim
Braden
1/8/16 2:12:14AM

Posted by kopower

Hopefully this ends up being true. I'd love to see RDA test McGregors ground game. I'm a little surprised uncle Dana would risk Conor getting dominated. I think Frankie is a much better style match up for McGregor, and a better draw at this point.

I think this is the smarter way to go, that way if Conor loses to RDA he's still the FTW champ and can defend his belt against Frankie at UFC 200. Where if he fought and lost to Edgar, the LW title fight against RDA wouldn't be as appealing since he wouldn't be trying to go for two belts simultaneously. I agree the McGregor/Edgar fight is a better draw as well which makes even more sense to try and save that one for UFC 200.

Personally, I would have rather seen Conor fight Edgar first just because I don't want to see Edgar wait any longer but from a business standpoint I see why this makes much more sense.
Braden
1/8/16 2:42:02AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

No memorial day weekend in vegas this year
First time ever. Pretty much wraps this one up for me to attend now.

And 198 if it hits anaheim

I very well may be going to UFC 197, UFC 198 and UFC 200.....If I do end up doing that, then I'll have to take a break from attending events for awhile. Since the UFC 150's I've been attending 2 of 10 ppvs with some FN cards in between.

2 in the 150's (154 & 158)
2 in the 160's (162 & 168)
2 in the 170's (174 & 175)
2 in the 180's (182 & 187)
Soon to be 2 or more in the 190's (194 & 197 or 198....or all 3)
With multiple UFC FN cards and a FOX card in between all those ppv cards.

3 of 4 ppvs in a row and 4 of 7 ppvs in a row is going to take a BIG toll on me financially, especially since our Canadian dollar is horrible right now. $1 American is basically $1.40 Canadian.
I just want to get to UFC 200 and attend that before taking a hiatus on attending UFC events (getting UFC 197 & 198 in as well would be hella awesome). Only way I'll attend more UFC events soon after that is if they're in my own backyard which likely isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I love attending events, but at some point it's going to have to stop (at least for awhile) and that point is coming up pretty quick...
airkerma
1/8/16 6:18:20AM
Gtfo, this would be ultra baller.
Sucks for Frankie though. There's no way conor fights in July if this one happens. Rda isn't going to test his ground game, he's going to best the shit out of him on the feet and in a big hurry.
kopower
1/8/16 11:05:55AM

Posted by airkerma

Gtfo, this would be ultra baller.
Sucks for Frankie though. There's no way conor fights in July if this one happens. Rda isn't going to test his ground game, he's going to best the shit out of him on the feet and in a big hurry.

I really do hope that's the case
Braden
1/8/16 8:11:04PM

Posted by airkerma

There's no way conor fights in July if this one happens.

There's definitely a way. As long as he comes out of UFC 197 without any serious injuries the chances of him fighting at UFC 200 are better than him not fighting then. 4 months in between fights is more than enough time for Conor McGregor, he's an active fighter that doesn't like sitting on the sidelines and he's the biggest draw in the UFC and you put the biggest draws on the biggest cards. It's what's best for business. UFC 200 without Conor McGregor doesn't seem fitting.... Win or lose, I say it's more of a longshot that he doesn't fight at UFC 200 if he comes out of 197 without serious injuries. He needs to fight then if he wants to try and get 4 fights in this year like him and Dana both said they wanted.
prozacnation1978
1/9/16 7:22:25AM

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by airkerma

There's no way conor fights in July if this one happens.

There's definitely a way. As long as he comes out of UFC 197 without any serious injuries the chances of him fighting at UFC 200 are better than him not fighting then. 4 months in between fights is more than enough time for Conor McGregor, he's an active fighter that doesn't like sitting on the sidelines and he's the biggest draw in the UFC and you put the biggest draws on the biggest cards. It's what's best for business. UFC 200 without Conor McGregor doesn't seem fitting.... Win or lose, I say it's more of a longshot that he doesn't fight at UFC 200 if he comes out of 197 without serious injuries. He needs to fight then if he wants to try and get 4 fights in this year like him and Dana both said they wanted.

I agree
If wants both belts he gonna have to stay active and defend both at least twice a year each belt. Or else i could see the ufc making him only stay in one weight class only.

I think this is stupid in the ufc part.
Connor has contenders lined up at 145.
Not a good time to do this.

Ufc must have made a agreement with connor saying if he wins or loses at 197. He must defend 145 belt at 200