Report: Jones Turned Down Minotoro Nogueira Fight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Report: Jones Turned Down Minotoro Nogueira Fight
DCRage
5/12/10 2:36:50PM
That's according to Yahoo's Kevin Iole in response to a reader letter.

Kevin Iole reveals in latest Yahoo!Sports mailbag that up-and-coming UFC light heavyweight star John Jones declined a slot on the upcoming UFC 114 card as a fill-in for Forrest Griffin against Antônio Rogério Nogueira because he didn't feel that one month was enough time to prepare for the fight. Jones explained that he hadn't been in the gym since his win over Brandon Vera a month and a half ago at UFC LIVE: Vera vs. Jones in Broomfield, Conn.

Now I'm not saying his excuses aren't legitimate, but I don't see a training camp being two weeks shorter than usual for a guy who walked away from his last fight still in shape and unscathed being to the detriment of a fighter of Jones' caliber. Jason Brilz seemed pretty eager to step up to the challenge in spite of the short notice. Just sayin'.

Maybe hearing that Shogun fought and won the UFC light heavyweight title seven weeks after undergoing surgery to remove his appendix has jaded me a bit.

Opinions courtesy of CP, of course. But if Jones really wants to be a title contender and a top guy, screw those 2 weeks. I'd have taken the fight, not every day you get a chance to fight someone like Nogueira.
bojangalz
5/12/10 2:55:38PM
I don't have an issue with not taking the fight on less than a months notice. It takes time to game plan and train properly. And with Jones on a very fast track in the UFC taking a fight on short notice could very easily have derailed what he's got going right now.

Not to mention, we have no idea what obligations Jones has arranged outside of the cage. He may very well have had appearances and seminars lined up which pay better than what he would have made in the fight.

The only thing about this story that scares me is the fact that Jones supposedly hasn't been in the gym since demolishing Vera almost two months ago. Athletes at the peak of every sport stay in game shape year round. For a fighter who barely has two years of MMA training I'm not sure I like the idea of taking that much time off.

That seems to me to be a bigger story itself than the fact that he turned down the fight.
grappler0000
5/12/10 3:00:16PM
IDK, people have different opinions on turning down fights. I think I'd want to have a full camp for a fight of that caliber and magnitude, so I understand it. And the 2 weeks when you haven't taken a break from the gym is a bit different than 2 weeks when you have. I'd love to see the fight, but I'm fine with it being a little further down the road.

Posted by DCRage

not every day you get a chance to fight someone like Nogueira.

For Brilz maybe, but with the resume Jones is building, it'll come back around in no time.
MaxOne
5/12/10 3:09:45PM
if he really hasn't been in the gym since the vera fight i understand. That's nuts.
postman
5/12/10 3:11:19PM

Posted by grappler0000

IDK, people have different opinions on turning down fights. I think I'd want to have a full camp for a fight of that caliber and magnitude, so I understand it. And the 2 weeks when you haven't taken a break from the gym is a bit different than 2 weeks when you have. I'd love to see the fight, but I'm fine with it being a little further down the road.

Posted by DCRage

not every day you get a chance to fight someone like Nogueira.

For Brilz maybe, but with the resume Jones is building, it'll come back around in no time.

Thats my feelings as well
Caesarrrr
5/12/10 3:28:38PM
It wouldn't be the first time someone has turned down a fight, and him using shogun as a comparison doesn't impress me that much. Have that surgery and recovering is hardly a 7 month procedure, and Machida was coming off of a surgery of his own.

Here you have a very talented, intelligent, and humble fighter, why wouldn't he pick and choose his fights intelligently? to do otherwise would risk wasting his potential.
Jackelope
5/12/10 4:29:33PM
People who aren't in Jones' shoes have no right to criticize him here. As others have mentioned he may already have commitments and/or other things going on. Nobody is him so nobody knows. Every fighter has the right to turn down a fight.

I just don't understand comments like "I would have taken the fight" First of all- no you wouldn't. Even if you did you'd get your ass kicked immediately after you touched gloves. And don't say that "Well I mean if I was Bones Jones" because you're not Bones Jones. Therefore you have no clue what goes through his mind or what goes into preparation for a fight for him. If you were as brave or as tough as him you'd probably be in the UFC, too. But you're not. So ... to me... comments like that don't mean anything.

Just a little rant I had to throw out there.

I give mad props to those who would step up on relatively short notice to fight Lil' Nog. You're talking about one of the very best fighters at 205 for years and years running and one who is skilled in every facet of the game. That's probably why someone stepping up last min will lose to him, too
sclasclemski
5/12/10 4:40:10PM
I wish jones had taken the fight because that would have made this fight card PHENOMENAL!!!! However I am not upset he didn't given the reasoning...I don't want to see Jones lose that fight maybe because he wasn't as well prepared as he could be...I want to see that fight(which I'm sure will happen in the next year or two max) when both fighters are ready to go...Jones is so young and has so much potential that he just doesn't need that fight right now...because that fight is coming...its just a matter of time...I can't wait for Bones to be fighting the top guys but I certainly want him to be ready when he does.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/12/10 5:08:41PM

Posted by Jackelope

I just don't understand comments like "I would have taken the fight" First of all- no you wouldn't. Even if you did you'd get your ass kicked immediately after you touched gloves. And don't say that "Well I mean if I was Bones Jones" because you're not Bones Jones.

Jackelope, I cannot even begin to tell you how similar that sounded to my friend Louis. If I had a dollar for every time I heard him say "You can't say that you would do that if you were him because you're not him, so it's impossible to know," I'd be a very rich man. I'm not bothered by this, Bones Jones can do whatever he wants. And I bet if you pool the playground most people have Lil Nog winning this fight Rd 1 TKO which tells you how much they think of Brilz taking this fight on short notice.
DCRage
5/12/10 5:17:44PM

And I bet if you pool the playground most people have Lil Nog winning this fight Rd 1 TKO which tells you how much they think of Brilz taking this fight on short notice.

I'm picking Nog to win quickly but short notice has nothing to do with my pick. I simply feel that compared to Forrest, Brilz makes for a much more one-sided matchup. Length of time before the fight would have no impact on my pick.
sclasclemski
5/12/10 5:40:56PM
I'd have to agree with you that short notice doesn't affect my feelings on the outcome...but its certainly not gonna help Brilz any
TimW001
5/12/10 5:41:46PM
I don't blame him (Jones). A young fighter like him should still be slowly developing his game. Not fighting one of the worlds best.
BustedKnuckle
5/12/10 6:33:03PM
Taking a fight with NOG on short notice is a bad idea. Especially if he hadn't been in the gym at all since Vera. Would have loved to see this fight fight but not that way.
Taylor8766
5/12/10 7:40:02PM
I could see why he turned down the fight, I mean a fight with Minotoro would have some serious title implications, however I can really see Minotoro and Jones facing off if they both win there next fights, that in my eyes would be a title shot fight.
zxandu
5/13/10 1:09:52AM
Jones wants to make his next move his best move. I don't know how this rule holds true in the world of MMA, but in boxing, serious fighters should always do two things when considering an opponent.

1. Never take a last minute fight offer against a guy who is close to your equal.

2. Never overlook the "tomato can" you maybe fighting last minute.

Look at when Lennox Lewis was KO'd by Hasim Rahman, Lewis lost his title and got KTFU. Don't say I blame Jones for passing. Let Minotoro get his next victim somewhere else.
Jshep714
5/13/10 3:42:20AM

Just to clear the record i've never turn down a mma fight against anyone and never will..

Via Jon Bones Jones' Twitter yesterday.

LINK
BlueSkiesBurn
5/13/10 4:31:13AM
Twitter if they said it on there, it must be true.

I don't know. I don't think he would turn one down but that's not for me to speculate on.
Jshep714
5/13/10 4:35:55AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Twitter if they said it on there, it must be true.

I don't know. I don't think he would turn one down but that's not for me to speculate on. [/QUOTE

I'll take Jon Jones' word over the yahoo reporters' word.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/13/10 4:49:27AM
Oh, for sure. I was more or less mocking twitter, not Bones. As a frequent twitter user, I have learned to trust less than half of what is actually said by people other than reputable sources.
prozacnation1978
5/13/10 10:31:10AM
i wish he would have taken the fight
the co main event now is a joke two guys coming of losses!!!!!!
but i can understand a month prep for lil nog might not be enough time
he will fight him down the road some time
Wand_is_GOD
5/13/10 2:13:42PM
John Jones Vs Griffin