UFC releases heavyweight prospect Todd Duffee

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC releases heavyweight prospect Todd Duffee
jae_1833
9/7/10 7:29:20PM
WTF!? Heavyweight prospect Todd Duffee (6-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is a free agent.

A little more than one year after Duffee burst onto the UFC scene with a seven-second knockout of Tim Hague, the 24-year-old is no longer employed by the sport's largest mixed martial arts promotion.
teddythetuna
9/7/10 7:39:18PM
Thats suprising. Im waiting to hear about something stupid he may have did or said because this doesnt make sense to me. Yeah he got gassed the last fight but most guys would have been knocked out by the punches he landed. Big, strong, athletic guy with ko power. Could have been a force with a little cardio.
DCRage
9/7/10 8:07:52PM
Fairly simple-couldn't sustain momentum. 7 second KO might be impressive, but he couldn't back it up. And he's hurt too.
babalu46
9/7/10 8:13:36PM
This can't just be a case of lingering injuries. My initial reaction is (and it's only my first thought) looking at the size of the man could it be drug related????
jae_1833
9/7/10 8:30:36PM
Regardless of why he is cut, this guy is a hot commodity! Strikeforce should be in talks with him already and if they're not then they are more foolish then I've ever thought! I can't believe the UFC didn't just wait for him to heal up and train a bit. He's a big, athletic, hard hitting young fighter who could help develop the HW Div into the next LHW div......this move makes absolutely no sense to me at all!
machodog76
9/7/10 8:31:17PM
I read something on a sherdog thread that said he was in an upcoming mma movie, just a rumor as far as I know. He's a pretty exiting fighter to watch so it seems strange that it would be a performance based decicion. Sure he gassed in his last fight but how many heavyweights have you seen gas while expending much less energy than he did against Russo? Too bad whatever the reason.
Chael_Sonnen
9/7/10 8:46:10PM

Posted by jae_1833

Regardless of why he is cut, this guy is a hot commodity! Strikeforce should be in talks with him already and if they're not then they are more foolish then I've ever thought! I can't believe the UFC didn't just wait for him to heal up and train a bit. He's a big, athletic, hard hitting young fighter who could help develop the HW Div into the next LHW div......this move makes absolutely no sense to me at all!

A hot commodity with a glass chin.
Gogoplatapus
9/7/10 8:49:30PM
I'm thinking his little 'Tweet' a couple weeks ago about needing a job could have something to do with it.
jae_1833
9/7/10 8:55:34PM
I thought it was because he already knew and we are just finding out.....I really don't think he has a glass jaw at all....he was tired and he got clipped by a veteran fighter who is highly underated. We will find out soon enough though, I know I will keep him on my MMA radar.
Gogoplatapus
9/7/10 8:58:21PM

Posted by jae_1833

I thought it was because he already knew and we are just finding out.....I really don't think he has a glass jaw at all....he was tired and he got clipped by a veteran fighter who is highly underated. We will find out soon enough though, I know I will keep him on my MMA radar.

You could be right, I perceived it as a 'don't **** where you live' comment.
mrsmiley
9/7/10 9:00:01PM
Very suprising.
I was expecting at least 2 more UFC fights out of him.
cowcatcher
9/7/10 11:00:08PM
heres todds managers text thats been posted on the underground.

“Well, I’m not sure exactly what the problem or problems were. I tryed [sic] hard to avoid, but Dana wasn’t listening. It unfortunate, but Todd’s an ass.”

there are theories about his role in never back down 2 having something to do with this, but more likely it stems from him complaining about money on twitter. apparently his twitter account is gone now as well.
Gogoplatapus
9/7/10 11:04:44PM

Posted by cowcatcher

“Well, I’m not sure exactly what the problem or problems were. I tryed [sic] hard to avoid, but Dana wasn’t listening. It unfortunate, but Todd’s an ass.”

there are theories about his role in never back down 2 having something to do with this, but more likely it stems from him complaining about money on twitter. apparently his twitter account is gone now as well.

I knew it.
MMA-San
9/7/10 11:11:17PM
I don't know why everyone says he gassed. He kept up a tremendous pace for two round. Third round he was still fresher than Russow.

He just got clipped. You get hit like that and your going out. It happens.

I think Duffe just wants more time to develope.
bjj1605
9/8/10 12:22:52AM
There has to be some things going on behind the scenes. I don't know if it was the movie, money, or personal disagreements with Dana. But this move makes no sense if there was nothing else going on.

He looked to be a hot prospect. He got clipped ONCE. It could happen to any body.
RhythmAndStyle
9/8/10 1:06:06AM
here's the story from mmamania..it's says the dude was a a**..or what his manager thinks..it doesn't shed too much light on the whole situation..take it as it is i guess...
Link
jiujitsufreak74
9/8/10 4:45:55AM
i don't understand why everyone keeps talking about his 'glass chin' when it is very obvious his release was not due to his performance. whatever he said it was bad enough to have his own manager call him an ass, not to mention cause him to get fired. it is most likely money related like people have been speculating, but point remains that it wasn't due to his loss imo.
postman
9/8/10 8:07:29AM
Yeah I agree Freak it has nothing to do with in the ring. He is one of the hottest prospects in MMA's HW division.
emfleek
9/8/10 9:42:17AM
DANZANRYUGUY
9/8/10 10:43:18AM
Dang, unexpected. I would have like to see a few more fights out of him in the UFC. I'm sure SF will pick him up.
submissionartist1
9/8/10 11:31:12AM

Posted by DCRage

Fairly simple-couldn't sustain momentum. 7 second KO might be impressive, but he couldn't back it up. And he's hurt too.

couldnt back it up? besides the Mike Russow fight where he beat the dude up for three rounds then got rocked by a standind hammerfist by a 250+ pounder
hes had 11 minutes of fight time in 6 fights? UFC is just swichind rosters because there are too many KO power meavy weights just like when they got rid of most of the BJJ guys @ 165+185 besides the poster boys last year
prozacnation1978
9/8/10 12:43:53PM
Freedom of speech does not exist in the ufc
Look at grove opening his mouth. Off spike tv prelim
Taylor said those things about a deceased evan tanner. Gone
War machine. Gone
Hello heath herring?? Where are you
You can't say anything bad or your out
You would think the fighters would learn by now
jae_1833
9/8/10 10:59:36PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Improper quoting of Davis on Duffee...."It unfortunate, but Todd's an asset and he will keep on fighting." link
lohmann
9/9/10 1:26:43AM
In his UFC tenure, Duffee won every second of the fights he was in except for the last few of the Russow fight. He's demonstrated a lot of talent, and dismissing that because of a "glass chin" reminds me of people dismissing Overeem years ago because he couldn't take a hit. Or even more recently, the sort of silliness that led people to think Velasquez wasn't damn good because Kongo rocked him a few times.

Because of the small size of the UFC's heavyweight division, it might be a good thing Duffee can be a prospect elsewhere. He'll be back in the UFC some day.
Pookie
9/9/10 2:00:25AM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by cowcatcher

Improper quoting of Davis on Duffee...."It unfortunate, but Todd's an asset and he will keep on fighting." link

Now im not saying you're incorrect or that this isnt the official story. But this just seems like a complete "trying to save my job" last ditch effort.
jae_1833
9/9/10 8:01:21PM
Could be....on either part too, Davis or the interviewer.
BustedKnuckle
9/10/10 8:40:07AM
Too bad for Duffy and for us as fans. That guy has HL reel KO writen all over him in every fight he is in. His fight with Russow...I was very impresssed with the pace he kept until he got KTFO. i hope he can find a home somwhere and get back to the UFC somday!?