rankings

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » rankings
assailant28
2/2/08 3:35:51PM
I'm sorry to say but the mma ranking system is a joke. When will there be a ranking system in mma that makes complete sense? Here's an idea... each organization has their own rankings. Hmmmmm. Makes sense to me. They all fight eachother, they have their own weight classes, and it makes for a great idea of Interleague bouts for the future.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the UFC's #1 Welterweight (GSP) destroy the welterweight of EliteXC (arguably Jake Sheilds)? Carlos Condit of WEC said during an interview that the best fighters are in WEC. Do you really think he believes that? He sounded ignorant as hell when he made that statement.

What about the middleweights? Can a Robbie Lawler who is ranked #6 (mma weekly) and holds the Middleweight Championship for EliteXC even compete with a Nate Marquardt (# 7) of the UFC who got completely destroyed by Anderson Silva, who we all know is the best Middleweight in the world?

It's rankings like this that upset me. There is no true way to rank mma fighters right now in an even and fair manner. So please let me know what you guys think about the current ranking system and see what we the fans can do to get a more accurate system.

LightsOut33093
2/2/08 4:54:36PM
people put in their own rankings...the more votes, the better the percentage
-whats wrong with that?
jiujitsufreak74
2/2/08 5:41:15PM
rankings will never be truly effective in MMA. ranking are all about perception and opinion and since everyone has differing perceptions a "perfect" ranking system will never be created. it just doesn't work out that way. since the ufc has most of the talented fighters it is a little easier now but a "perfect" ranking system will never come into creation. you can't do it mathematically because look at the problems with college football and any other way will also have opposition.
stock
2/3/08 4:33:51PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

rankings will never be truly effective in MMA. ranking are all about perception and opinion and since everyone has differing perceptions a "perfect" ranking system will never be created. it just doesn't work out that way. since the ufc has most of the talented fighters it is a little easier now but a "perfect" ranking system will never come into creation. you can't do it mathematically because look at the problems with college football and any other way will also have opposition.

Agree. My suggestion is to just do what I do.
Come up with your own top 10 rankings for every weight class and just ignore all the other BS ranking systems.

Plus, the UFC is never going to put themselves in a position where the top guys get automatic title shots anyway. They are only going to do what makes sense for ratings.
Just 1 example is Frank Mir getting a probably title shot. IMO, guys like Werdum, Arlovski, and Kongo are much more deserving than Mir. Most ranking systems did not even have Mir in the top ten, and now he beats a guy making his 2nd (ever) professional fight and gets an immediate title shot.
It is what it is. Personally I don't really care as long as I get to see fights.