UFC Quick Quote: Karo Parisyan inks eight fight contract extension

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Quick Quote: Karo Parisyan inks eight fight contract extension
MMAcca
9/30/08 1:22:00AM
I love the UFC. I love Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta, they’re one of the nicest people I’ve ever met and that’s the truth. I don’t kiss ass. I had a meeting with them last week they gave me a new, eight fight contract and the deal is I’m happy with them, I’m happy with the UFC. But the deal is there is a lot of stuff even Dana can’t control. He can’t control a lot of the referees. A lot of the judges are from the commission so he can’t control all those guys. It’s very hard. He can control [them] a certain amount of time [and] a certain amount of people, but not everything.

-UFC welterweight Karo Parisyan sounds off on RawVegas.tv about some of the questionable judging in recent memory including Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson at EliteXC ‘Primetime’ back on May 31. During the clip, “The Heat” reveals he’s just signed a new, eight fight contract extension with the UFC. Not only does that sound like an unusually large number for UFC contracts, it’s timing is a bit bizarre considering Parisyan’s recent admission of panic attacks and his last-minute exit from his fight against Yoshiyuki “Zenko” Yoshida at UFC 88 ‘Breakthrough’. Maybe the UFC loves him as much as he claims to love them.

LINK
wapttn
9/30/08 1:41:53AM
I think we're gonna start to see a lot of longer fight contracts because of how the sport has grown, but also because of how ufc contracts are constructed. Take houston alexander's contract for example, he signed a 5 fight contract if i remember correctly... but he's also had 3 straight losses, and dana has been quoted saying something along the lines of if he loses to schafer, he's gotta find another promotion to fight in until he can fight at this level. Just because karo has 8 fights on this contract doesnt mean he'll be around for another 8 fights. There are probably several clauses in the contract saying that if karo loses 3 straight, he's out. I dont see karo even acknowledging that 3 straight losses is even a possibility for him. I personally never felt that karo deserved a title shot and hated him for trying to wait it out for a title shot... i personally never thought he was that exciting of a fighter either, but he's definately top10. If the ufc can hang onto a top10 welterweight for 8 more fights while he's winning... why not?

I suspect that we'll see more and more of these new contracts through the next year. It seems like the fighters who bitch and moan about the contracts will be more likely to sign something short term, but fighters who prefer competition over salary and are ok with what the ufc pay will probably sign something very similar to what karo has signed here. Koscheck will be a good example if i'm right
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/30/08 2:44:28AM
i dont wanna see him fight 8 more times in the ufc
Matimus
9/30/08 6:40:40AM
he says "control them" like Dana is Don King or something.
waylon_o
9/30/08 8:23:44AM
He's Armenian...his English probably isn't tip-top shape. Cut the dude some slack. The UFC would be smart to hold onto any top 10 fighter in any division. Isn't the name of the game to have the best fighters in every weight division?
Darnok
9/30/08 10:41:12AM
Whether you like his fighting style or call him boring. He is still a worthwhile opponent for any new comers. He is the perfect example of gatekeeper.
brooklynbadass
9/30/08 10:50:45AM
he needs to lay off the donuts..
gartface
9/30/08 10:50:55AM

Posted by Darnok

Whether you like his fighting style or call him boring. He is still a worthwhile opponent for any new comers. He is the perfect example of gatekeeper.

I completely disagree, respectfully of course, I feel he is too young and has yet to meet his potential to be considered a gatekeeper in my eyes. Maybe I just have a different interpretation of the word. To me a gatekeeper is someone like Chris Lytle, a person who has reached his peak, and is a measuring stick for the division's newcomers.
I think with Karo now having a training camp (or at least last I heard he still did) with Greg Jackson, he'll actually start training for fights and perhaps tap into his potential.
But I will say if he doesn't start improving soon, you'll be right, and he'll become a gatekeeper.
gartface
9/30/08 11:06:52AM

Posted by brooklynbadass

he needs to lay off the donuts..

This has relevance how?
hodge
9/30/08 2:04:11PM
This news sucks i dont like Karo or Manny but i suppose its always fun to see them get knocked out ala Rob Emerson and Thiago
gartface
9/30/08 2:44:52PM

Posted by hodge

This news sucks i dont like Karo or Manny but i suppose its always fun to see them get knocked out ala Rob Emerson and Thiago

Why waste your time posting on this then?
iwannabesedated
9/30/08 2:48:06PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Why his fights are normally exciting.
Wolfenstein
9/30/08 4:16:20PM
I'm glad he'll stay with the UFC. I'm a fan of anyone with a Judo background. I don't think he's a gatekeeper either. The guy's 25 years old and he can continue to improve if he can just get over the mental hurdles. I will say his striking has significantly improved as of late.
RampageOwnedYou
9/30/08 5:03:41PM
Why in the world would they sign him to an 8 fight contract? WTF!!?

Why not 2 to 3 fights MAX, and spend the extra cash at getting some talent which is out there to bring in.... i.e Melendez, Thompson, Eddie Alvarez.... Diaz...ANYONE lol
Why would you even risk him getting another injury like he just did. To me this is poor business management.
gartface
9/30/08 5:10:02PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Why in the world would they sign him to an 8 fight contract? WTF!!?

Why not 2 to 3 fights MAX, and spend the extra cash at getting some talent which is out there to bring in.... i.e Melendez, Thompson, Eddie Alvarez.... Diaz...ANYONE lol
Why would you even risk him getting another injury like he just did. To me this is poor business management.

...You act like signing Karo to an 8 fight deal means that a multi billion dollar company can't sign other talent...It's a two way street, that talent has to want to come to the UFC.
RampageOwnedYou
9/30/08 5:22:18PM

.You act like signing Karo to an 8 fight deal means that a multi billion dollar company can't sign other talent...It's a two way street, that talent has to want to come to the UFC.

Well why in the hell would you go sign a guy who JUST got injured to an 8 fight contact? Thats like you or me working for a labor company and throwing out your back, do you think when you return to work you are going to get an extension with the company for 4 years?

And im sure talent does want to come to the UFC....But when you come and say "we cannot throw top dollar to Fedor" this is why not....stupid signings...
Branwest
9/30/08 5:26:32PM
First of all, Waylon (the above post), Karo's English is damn good. Yes he's Armenian, but he's been here for a while.
A few things need to happen:
1) He needs to mature: He gets emotional, pissed off easily
2) He needs to commit to training: He has never lived up to expectations because he doesn't train properly for his fights
3) He needs to go to and stay in a camp where they control him and he respects and listents, like Greg Jackson-someone who can motivate him. The last I heard he was with Jackson. If so he needs to stay there and work with those guys. They're the real deal. They're hungry.

Karo may be the best at adapting Judo to use in mma. However, most of his fights lately go to a decision and Karo often gasses. He needs to work on his conditioning and needs to be more driven. He needs to want to win and stop running his mouth. I used to love Karo but now he just gets on my nerves. He is still young and has a ton of potential if he just stays with it and gets motivated.
gartface
9/30/08 7:30:39PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou
Well why in the hell would you go sign a guy who JUST got injured to an 8 fight contact? Thats like you or me working for a labor company and throwing out your back, do you think when you return to work you are going to get an extension with the company for 4 years?

And im sure talent does want to come to the UFC....But when you come and say "we cannot throw top dollar to Fedor" this is why not....stupid signings...

From what I remember they offered Fedor $2 million per fight, but his management declined because the UFC wouldn't let him compete in his sambo tournaments.
As for giving him the 8 fight contract, I think that they are just showing that they have faith in him.
gartface
9/30/08 8:11:21PM

Posted by Branwest

First of all, Waylon (the above post), Karo's English is damn good. Yes he's Armenian, but he's been here for a while.
A few things need to happen:
1) He needs to mature: He gets emotional, pissed off easily
2) He needs to commit to training: He has never lived up to expectations because he doesn't train properly for his fights
3) He needs to go to and stay in a camp where they control him and he respects and listents, like Greg Jackson-someone who can motivate him. The last I heard he was with Jackson. If so he needs to stay there and work with those guys. They're the real deal. They're hungry.

Karo may be the best at adapting Judo to use in mma. However, most of his fights lately go to a decision and Karo often gasses. He needs to work on his conditioning and needs to be more driven. He needs to want to win and stop running his mouth. I used to love Karo but now he just gets on my nerves. He is still young and has a ton of potential if he just stays with it and gets motivated.

I agree with almost everything, aside from him getting on my nerves. I still love the guy, but I agree he needs to mature, commit to training, and stick with Greg Jackson.
It said something to me how much potential Karo has, when Greg Jackson relocated camp to California to train Karo before he was supposed to fight at 88.
Can't wait for him to get back in the cage though.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/1/08 12:54:24AM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Why his fights are normally exciting.

meh he just doesnt do it for me...
never has

MMAcca
10/1/08 1:32:23AM