Prediction of possible NBC-Versus merger could mean UFC on network TV

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Prediction of possible NBC-Versus merger could mean UFC on network TV
grappler0000
12/22/10 8:49:09PM
An interesting read from MMAPayout. I actually read a rumor about this at Middleeasy a couple of months back. Now, there seems to be a little more to it.

An interesting end of the year prediction came out of the Sports Business Daily (h/t Sports Business Daily and John Ourand) earlier this week.

From the Sports Business Journal: Versus will change its name to something that incorporates the NBC Sports brand. Versus is going to become the NBC Sports Channel or the NBC Sports Network or maybe even SNBC. It’s going to start carrying some of the properties that are on NBC, like one or two of Notre Dame’s non-marquee games.

Payout Perspective: If this prediction would come to fruition, it would mean that the UFC would be aired on an NBC affiliated channel. The UFC is scheduled to have four events on Versus in 2011. This move could lead the UFC closer to an inevitable spot on NBC. Also, more mainstream viewing by the casual viewer. Even though this is speculation, it is an interesting issue to keep an eye on for the new year.

emfleek
12/23/10 9:48:55AM
Until my cable provider starts carrying Versus, I don't give a crap.

grappler0000
12/23/10 9:56:44AM

Posted by emfleek

Until my cable provider starts carrying Versus, I don't give a crap.

Maybe they will...if they become an NBC affiliate.
prozacnation1978
12/23/10 12:33:26PM
If so the ufc needs to capitalize on the opportunity
Put up a free pay perview not on spike but nbc. With a title fight

Take cain vs junior off toronto card. And make another event in april
With them in main event

Can't believe its been over 3 years since we last saw a title fight on a free
Pay per view card

I don't care if even cruz is putting his title up vs faber
But we do deserve a title fight
bojangalz
12/23/10 3:48:59PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Pay per view card

Posted by prozacnation1978

If so the ufc needs to capitalize on the opportunity
Put up a free pay perview not on spike but nbc. With a title fight

Take cain vs junior off toronto card. And make another event in april
With them in main event

Pay per view card

I don't care if even cruz is putting his title up vs faber
But we do deserve a title fight

"Free pay-per-view" is a contradiction in term prozac. There's no such thing. I know what you're saying though. A PPV quality card on TV. Doubt we'll see it with Cain/Dos Santos though. All indications are that we'll see that fight co-headline the Toronto card next to GSP/Shields. They're going to the Skydome and want to pack in 40+ thousand. They stand to make a lot more money doing that than they would putting the HW belt on free TV. Sorry bro, just doesn't make business sense.
Gogoplatapus
12/23/10 7:59:44PM
I'd rather pay for everything, better than sitting though commercials crammed in between rounds and for 15 minutes between fights. Free broadcasts always frustrate me.
warglory
12/23/10 9:32:23PM
Screw an NBC-Versus merger, I think we should be more concerned about the possible Comcast-NBC merger!
RyanC
12/24/10 8:55:54AM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

I'd rather pay for everything, better than sitting though commercials crammed in between rounds and for 15 minutes between fights. Free broadcasts always frustrate me.

I also like to be able to hear what the corner tells the fighter between rounds.
The_Meach
12/28/10 12:02:38AM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Couldn't they do it like soccer and just have a, "this round brought to you by Product X" logo up in the far right? Keeps the whole fight free. On network TV you should be getting enough eyeballs for that kind of thing to work. (maybe?)