Phillipe Nover Vs Kyle Bradley - Stoppage OK ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Phillipe Nover Vs Kyle Bradley - Stoppage OK ?
Next Page »
MMAcca
5/25/09 1:55:47AM
it's available to download from the UFC Video Vault but i can't find a free video of it anywhere.

The best i've found is the following gif:

Looking at the gif Nover seems ok and also, Lavigne seems to be rubbing Bradley's back for some reason.

So......legit stoppage or does Yves Lavigne strike again ?

EDIT: Nover talks loss at UFC 98
Jackelope
5/25/09 2:04:10AM
That must be why the fans were booing Yves Lavigne so incessantly
ncordless
5/25/09 2:07:54AM
No matter what the right call was, where he really fails is when he makes the decision that the fight is over and then goes back on his decision and acts like he is going to let it go.

Indecisiveness is not an acceptable characteristic of an mma ref.

In my own personal opinion, it is obvious that the fight could have gone on longer. However, Nover did kind of do a faceplant for a second or two. Faceplants of that nature are not really "intelligently defending" yourself, so if the ref makes the split second decision to stop it there I can see why.

In the end the real travesty is the way Yves is indecisive. Indecisiveness is a killer for any ref/ump.
kopower
5/25/09 2:12:47AM
Nover does go limp for a second and that's when Yves jumped in. Then he backed off. It would have been a good stoppage if he grabbed Bradley and pushed him off the whole time, rather than stopping it then letting it go for a bit longer before stopping it again.
Kpro
5/25/09 2:13:55AM
Yeah if he wouldn't have stepped back it would've been at least legit, considering the faceplant, even if it was a slip, it's all about how the referee interprets it.

But stepping back from the initial stop, and then not stopping it until Nover is obviously intelligently defending is a horrible horrible call.

Yves was the one who did this with Sell/Brown also.
mentalcase
5/25/09 4:33:20AM
link

tho only video i could fine very low quality but u still kind of see what happens

nover went limp for a second and the ref jumped in to stop it, the ref has no way of knowing if nover is going to regain consciousness in a split secon if he didnt stop it then and if nover remains unconciouse the ref would look even worse and nover could suffer serious injury
grappler0000
5/25/09 6:52:00AM
Here's a better quality copy.

Video
EvenFlow
5/25/09 7:49:22AM
That stoppage was just, Nover was out and Yves being a good ref stopped i just made a mistake by not pulling Bradley away all the way, Nover was probably hit back into consciousness and couldve been alright but I take my hat off to Yves for making the right call even though he didnt seperate them fully, then again maybe it was Bradleys faults, for some reason he dosnt walk away when the fight is innitially stopped (a bigtime no no not listeing to the ref) Yves can chalk this up to experience and move on hes not losing his job over this.
tmas
5/25/09 9:00:35AM
the initial stoppage was ...okay, but the 2nd stoppage was not lol

now we in a situation where "THE NEXT ANDERSON SILVA" may be getting CUT! :(
sparky
5/25/09 9:06:57AM
Yves was trying to stop him it looked like and Bradley just kept going!!!
TheBestEVER
5/25/09 9:32:48AM
The fact is that the stoppage was def a bad one. Yeah Nover may have gone limp for a split second, but really it looked like he just sort of fell/slipped while trying to transition to a better position. Yes Refs are supposed to look out for the safety of the fighters, but if you are an MMA Ref with tons of experience you should easily be able to make the right call. He was obviously fine and Levigne knew he f*%ked up the call as soon as he stopped it. I am so sick of seeing fights stopped prematurely these guys are world class fighters, dont stop the fights until they are decisively over!!!
TheBestEVER
5/25/09 9:36:59AM
Why would Dana and the UFC cut Nover when the fight was obviously called prematurely? If anyone needs to be cut it should be Yves, Phillipe has a ton a talent and may very well have won that fight if it wasnt stopped early.
TheBestEVER
5/25/09 9:39:56AM
The stoppage was just? Listen to Joe Rogans commentary dude and simply watch the fight he was not out he recovered in one second that is not being knocked out. Machida knocking out Rashad is being "out". If all fights were ref'd this way no one would watch the sport.
EvenFlow
5/25/09 10:00:38AM

Posted by TheBestEVER

The stoppage was just? Listen to Joe Rogans commentary dude and simply watch the fight he was not out he recovered in one second that is not being knocked out. Machida knocking out Rashad is being "out". If all fights were ref'd this way no one would watch the sport.

uh, you dont have to be completely out to air on the side of caution, this is something you probably need to learn, no offense, and im not saying what yves did was ok, but look at bradleys as yves is stopping it, he keeps trying to go at it as yves is stopping it, the only thing yves is guilty of is not being that physically strong quite frankly, because the fight dosnt continue after he stops it
TheBestEVER
5/25/09 10:25:40AM
Understood, but at the same time did you ever think that Bradley kept going because he clearly did not think Nover was finished or knocked out?
Khaos
5/25/09 10:58:38AM
I think the stoppage was just, he did at least get hurt, and I've seen fights stopped on worse calls, based on what I saw it's a just stoppage.
Franklinfan47
5/25/09 11:24:30AM
I may be biased because I picked Nover, but I thought the stoppage was crap imo. I've seen worse, but technically speaking, Yves Lavigne f'd up. They need to do an immediate rematch like they did with Johnson-Burns and Riley-Nelson. Nover was clearly still intelligently defending himself.

I thought it was interesting when Rogan was talking about creating a rule where fights can be restarted after stupid stoppages like that. I dont think its a bad idea.
The_Ho_Bag
5/25/09 12:33:37PM

Posted by Kpro

Yves was the one who did this with Sell/Brown also.

nvm i thought it was stev-o
RMFG_187
5/25/09 1:04:04PM
Yves getting booed for that? cmon, I thought they were booing him for the Brown Sell fight. but cmon that was waranted, Nover got Dropped, and got hit with a shot that reminded me of McFedries Radev. and then the shot that made him go limp. cmon ppl, understand a good stoppage when u see it, when Yves went to stop it it was less than 1 second after the GnP blow that made him limp. Was very quick and very good. Although he hesitated, how can u blame him? after the sell Brown fight, he is a bit jumpy at times.

But who cares, that was a crazy good performance from Kyle Bradley regardless of the stoppage.
king_katool
5/25/09 1:22:27PM
Yves should have committed to it fully and there would be no question, Kyle wasnt listening and Yves shouldve just whipped him off or tackled him, becayse Kyle didnt stop Nover recovered and its being discussed as a bad stoppage, look at the video, Yves has underhooks from the back trying to pull Kyle off, when he looks down Nover is recovered, but if Yves throws Kyle off Nover is probly is dozy and trying to recover, i think this just comes down the the refs throwing their weight around more, literally
randompunter
5/25/09 2:54:45PM
That was a bad stoppage yves should of waited for a couple more strikes id even say 1 or 2 more, Most fighters dont want to beat another guys face in for no reason the fact that bradley is still going after yves is trying to stop the fight is one of the most telling things.
jiujitsufreak74
5/25/09 3:08:39PM

Posted by Jackelope

That must be why the fans were booing Yves Lavigne so incessantly

agreed. i was actually getting mad when they were booing him, now i feel kind of dumb for reacting that way.

as for the stoppage, i can see why Lavigne stopped it. Nover drops for a a split second and Yves mist have thought that he was going out. by the time Nover recovered Lavigne already made the judgment call that it was over. being a referee is a lot harder than people think and Yves was reacting to a split second action, which is what referees are supposed to do. unfortunately, it wound up being a wrong call but i support Lavigne on his decision.
Wolfenstein
5/25/09 3:16:46PM
That was a good stoppage. I mean Nover went limp face-first on the canvas--if even for a split second. When Yves called it and Bradley relented for a second--then Nover starts fighting for his life. Even after the fight when Yves grabbed a hold on Nover, it looked like you could have grabbed one of those cheap handheld fans from the dollar store and he would have blown over.

I don't know why Nover decided to start doing jumping jacks afterwards--like that's going to prove that he was fine or something.
jiujitsufreak74
5/25/09 3:19:26PM

Posted by Wolfenstein
I don't know why Nover decided to start doing jumping jacks afterwards--like that's going to prove that he was fine or something.

if anything it proves he was still delirious
Jackelope
5/25/09 3:25:12PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Wolfenstein

if anything it proves he was still delirious

Haha, yeah I didn't comment on my original post, but I do agree with Yves stopping it. The thing is, if you're going to jump in you have to commit 100% to it. That's why Big John was such a good ref. He would smother the fighters and leave no question as to whether he intended to stop it or not.

IMO Yves should be done. This is his second offense, and this is no joke. Someone can get seriously hurt if a ref is being indecisive out there. We saw it with Sell/Brown, and now this. Thankfully neither got too bad, but it's just unfair to the fighters to have an indecisive ref out there.
SociopathX
5/25/09 3:43:57PM
tough call.. he did go limp for a second it looked like which caused the stoppage. I think Bradley would have finished him regardless.
mrsmiley
5/25/09 4:00:16PM

Posted by RMFG_187

Yves getting booed for that? cmon, I thought they were booing him for the Brown Sell fight. but cmon that was waranted, Nover got Dropped, and got hit with a shot that reminded me of McFedries Radev. and then the shot that made him go limp. cmon ppl, understand a good stoppage when u see it, when Yves went to stop it it was less than 1 second after the GnP blow that made him limp. Was very quick and very good. Although he hesitated, how can u blame him? after the sell Brown fight, he is a bit jumpy at times.

But who cares, that was a crazy good performance from Kyle Bradley regardless of the stoppage.

Money well bet for me.
slapshot
5/26/09 1:57:12AM
bah IDK after watching it a few times I just dont think you can tell if he was or was not flash ko'd from that camera angle.
MMA-San
5/27/09 6:49:34AM
Strange situation. The first stoppage was just, the second one was not.

This is Bradley's fault. Yvees was trying his best to pull Bradley off of Nover, but he just kept going, guess he wanted to make an impression...but instead it almost backfired as Nover ended up recovering and upkicking the crap out of him.

You see the very end (a detail that goes unnoticed), once Nover made it back to his feet Bradley put his hands down and kind of made a motion like "didn't you stop the fight? Don't I win.", Then Yvees steps in for the second time.

Its obvious too me, that Bradley was trying to make some sort of statement or highlight reel TKO and realized the fight had been stopped and kept going. When Nover recovered and was ready to go again, Bradley protested.
Aaronno9
5/27/09 6:58:12AM
I thought it was a very bad call. Sucks for Nover.
Pages: [1] 2