Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo on tap for UFC on Versus 4 in June

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo on tap for UFC on Versus 4 in June
emfleek
3/14/11 1:49:27PM
Pat Barry (6-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Cheick Kongo (15-6-2 MMA, 8-4-1 UFC) are the first fighters earmarked for UFC on Versus 4.

Sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the heavyweights have verbally agreed to meet, and contracts are expected to be signed shortly. MMAWeekly.com first reported the matchup.

UFC on Versus 4 takes place June 26, and the night's main card airs live on Versus.

The promotion hasn't locked down a city and venue to host the event.

LINK
Hendo67
3/14/11 1:51:52PM
Great match! I hope Barry leg kicks him into submission
Pookie
3/14/11 1:52:38PM
Kongo goes for a takedown within the first 30 seconds.
Budgellism
3/14/11 2:00:16PM

Posted by Pookie

Yup. This might not be the slugfest this fight will be advertised as. Kongo is going to be looking for (and getting) the takedown all night. Kongo by decision.
Twenty20Dollars
3/14/11 2:04:33PM
I thought they were friends or trained together? Or maybe I'm thinking of Kongo and Paul Kelly.

Decent matchup though. Would have rather seen Hunt vs Barry.
emfleek
3/14/11 2:06:20PM
I hope Barry focuses on conditioning his twig and berries...
prozacnation1978
3/14/11 3:49:19PM
I thought for sure this fight would be in vancouver

Now carwin has to face meathead. Is my guess

If kongo plays it smart take him down and unleash hell!!!
FastKnockout
3/14/11 3:58:44PM
I don't think Barry will have it easy kicking away at Kongo's legs. He's a large man, and he will know the kicks are coming. I'm expecting an early takedown attempt from Kongo, and that sparks my interest in Barry's takedown defense against a much larger man.

Please, Kongo. Play fair. I don't want to see another fight plagued with time-outs and point deductions.
quezocrema0032
3/14/11 4:20:57PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Pookie

Yup. This might not be the slugfest this fight will be advertised as. Kongo is going to be looking for (and getting) the takedown all night. Kongo by decision.

Yup He shyed away from stand up fights with Hardonk and Paul, Hope Berry works his take down D. I am a big Berry fan hoping to see him take this.
kopower
3/14/11 6:40:07PM

Posted by emfleek

I hope Barry focuses on conditioning his twig and berries...

That's the first thought that crossed my mind. You know Barry's berries are in for some danger.
sbulldavid
3/14/11 8:45:20PM
I think Kongo will force him against the cage and knee the crap out of him much like he did to Cro Cop. Kongo by decision is my take.
BigCountryFedor
3/14/11 8:52:35PM
Not even a titanium cup with padded edges will protect you from the cup cheick, it's gonna happen in this fight too. Here's to Barry getting a KO win.
chickmagnet
3/15/11 9:43:06PM
YES!!! This is what Im talking about. But Hunt/Barry wouldve been much more fun.