Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo official as UFC on Versus 4 co-headliner

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo official as UFC on Versus 4 co-headliner
Budgellism
4/19/11 2:37:57PM
A long-rumored bout between heavyweight fighters Pat Barry (6-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Cheick Kongo (15-6-2 MMA, 8-4-1 UFC) is now official for UFC on Versus 4.

UFC officials today announced the fight, which serves as the night's co-main event.

LINK

The latest UFC on Versus 4 card now includes:

Anthony Johnson vs. Nate Marquardt
Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo
Matt Mitrione vs. Christian Morecraft
John Howard vs. Martin Kampmann
Rich Attonito vs. Matt Brown
Manny Gamburyan vs. Tyson Griffin
Joe Lauzon vs. Curt Warburton
Joe Stevenson vs. Javier Vazquez
Matt Grice vs. Ricardo Lamas
Edward Faaloloto vs. Michael Johnson

Pretty decent free night of fights.
grappler0000
4/19/11 2:47:16PM
I'd like to love this matchup...unfortunately, I see Kongo hitting the TD early.

Edit:
Rest of the card looks solid though
FastKnockout
4/19/11 3:40:28PM
Wow. Amazing card. Can't wait to see most of these fights! Most excited for Johnson/Marquardt, Howard/Kampmann, and Gamburyan/Griffin.
kingsmasher
4/19/11 4:02:35PM
one of the best cards that I have ever seen...
xtinax3
4/19/11 4:18:54PM
Theres are all amazing. Sucks that a lot of these probably won't air though. Really hoping they will air griffin vs manny..I mean you would think?? but lots of good fights for this event!
Budgellism
4/19/11 4:44:14PM

Posted by grappler0000

I'd like to love this matchup...unfortunately, I see Kongo hitting the TD early.

Edit:
Rest of the card looks solid though

I agree with you. I have Kongo by decision because I know exactly what his game plan will be.
TeamDEY
4/19/11 5:33:26PM
Awesome Card!
Boo_Radley21
4/19/11 5:53:55PM
Anybody else think Kongo is going to tune Barry?
Hendo67
4/19/11 6:09:15PM
Absolutely amazing card, I hope Barry wins the fight, however like said above, i see Kongo grinding out a decision.
Budgellism
4/19/11 7:30:48PM
I have a feeling they're going to show at least 3 facebook fights, I'm thinking 4. I'm really excited for this card now.
mattjonesy
4/19/11 7:38:10PM
Also see Kongo going straight for a takedown and I fear that the reach and height advantage Kongo has Barry will have no choice but to throw kicks.
sbulldavid
4/19/11 8:49:53PM
I think Kongo wins this fight 2 out of three times but Barry has heavy hands, I just think Kongo is better at everything minus the power.
pmoney
4/19/11 11:16:28PM
I'm sorry, but I don't like this fight as co-main. I don't really like this fight at all. For two fighters who are essentially kickboxers, I find myself quite underwhelmed by their performances.

I try as hard as I can not to fighter bash, but Kongo in a co-main? His last fight was a draw with Travis Browne if I am not mistaken? He's 1-2-1 in his last four?

There are a lot of good fights on this card. Great fights. Fights I am jacked out of my mind to see. Morecraft vs Meathead? Awesome! Kampmann vs Howard? Sick! But there is not one fight on that card that deserves main event or even co-main event status.

Addendum: After a very brief period of reflection, I decided that this fight isn't even worthy of streaming on Facebook. Someone please relay my wishes to Dana, Joe, and Lorenzo. Toot sweet!
Lesnar1
4/20/11 1:09:00AM
Barry v Kongo = broken noses, busted ribs, jelly legs and one hell of a standup battle between these two sluggers great fight.
kingsmasher
4/20/11 11:45:49AM
I have seen the people think that Kongo takes this to the ground...

This is I bet a classic case of a fight that stays standing because one guy wants to prove hes the better kickboxer...

To get the win Kongo should go to the ground but with a clear reach advantage he could obviously stay standing...Thing is I have seen Kongo fight and do not know if hes smart enough to use a gameplan that exploits the opponents weakness.. That being Barry on the ground...but in Kongos eyes he could feel hes a superior striker...

Very tough Call but I give it to Barry on a split decision
sbulldavid
4/20/11 7:54:32PM
Barry split decision.....hmm, I'll stick with Kongo but I could see Barry getting dominated in a round and then dropping Kongo to steal the round and the fight. I think it's a great fight for two guys with limited skill sets,
kingsmasher
4/21/11 12:44:21AM

Posted by sbulldavid

Barry split decision.....hmm, I'll stick with Kongo but I could see Barry getting dominated in a round and then dropping Kongo to steal the round and the fight. I think it's a great fight for two guys with limited skill sets,

yeah any split decision call is ballsy...or I give it to Barry second round TKO...cause hes Pat Barry