Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Latest Exclusive Interview with MMAWeekly

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Latest Exclusive Interview with MMAWeekly
BeaturAss
5/30/07 10:52:34PM
Ranked as the #1 light heavyweight fighter in the world by MMAWeekly.com, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua has been one of the fighters seemingly in limbo since the announcement that the Fertitta brothers, owners of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, purchased the venerable Japanese promotion Pride FC.

Amassing a 16-2 professional record, the majority of Shogun’s career has been spent fighting for the Pride organization. He won the Pride Grand Prix in 2005 – narrowly avoiding a fight with Chute Boxe teammate Wanderlei Silva – by defeating rival Brazilian Top Team fighter Ricardo Arona in the finals.

His only losses to Renato “Babalu” Sobral in 2003 and Mark Coleman due to injury last year, Shogun has amassed one of the most impressive resumes in the sport. Among his victims are Alistair Overeem (twice), Kazuhiro Nakamura, Kevin Randleman, Arona, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Quinton Jackson among others.

Following Jackson’s dominant performance over Chuck Liddell at UFC 71 in Las Vegas, Nev., MMAWeekly’s Ivan Canello caught up with Shogun in Brazil for an interview. Of course Shogun gave his impressions on Quinton Jackson becoming the new UFC Light Heavyweight Champion and also discussed the K-1 show coming up on Saturday at the L.A. Coliseum.

That’s not all though, Shogun expounded upon many issues including some of the fighters headed to the UFC, like Dan Henderson and how he feels Henderson will do in the Octagon against Jackson.

But, of course, everyone wants to know about two certain Chute Boxe fighters and if they will grace the Octagon. In this exclusive video interview with MMAWeekly, Shogun finally broached the subject talking about what he and Wanderlei Silva would bring to the UFC’s 205-pound weight class and whether he sees himself fighting for Pride or the UFC.

Check out this exclusive interview with Shogun In The Cage with MMAWeekly.

Gotcha!! Give me props before i post the link!!
BeaturAss
5/30/07 11:30:26PM
Just kidding man!!

Here's a link to the latest interview with shogun:

http://www.mediafire.com/?b2x12meihpl

- Shogun is back to training 100%
- His contract states that he can fight in both Pride and UFC
- He will more likely fight in UFC next
- He thinks in a couple of weeks his next fight will be worked out
- He wants the UFC title
- He wants to show America his skills
- He thinks Rampage will beat Hendo
- Didn't pick a winner of Royce Sakuraba, just said Royce has a huge ground game but Sakuraba is Chute Box and always brings something new to his fights.
- He said he and Wandi don't pick their opponents but he thinks Tito and Rampage would be great fights for Wandi in UFC.

AintRite
5/31/07 1:31:11AM
I can't wait for him to fight again. He's my second favorite fighter. The loss to Coleman was kinda bizarre the way he went down and all(sure was nasty). In my eyes he has only one legitamate loss, to babalu. I think he got caught in a Triangle choke.. Anyway this is very good news.
MisFiT
5/31/07 1:58:42AM
Same way I feel, I dont count injuries as a legit loss, isnt really fair but someone has to be the winner. I'm glad to see Shogun is doin good and I'm lookin forward to seein him back in action, and HOPEFULLY as champion very soon. If he could drop to Middle a fight with Anderson Silva would be amazing.
Svartorm
5/31/07 2:59:25AM
For the most part, I agree, but some injuries, like Saku when he lost to Arona because of his eye injury should be legit. Its not Aronas fault he busted Sakus eye too much to fight, and cut injuries, while a weak way to win, are still victories. Something like Silva vs. Irvin or Coleman vs. Shogun though should be called a No Contest if its that early in the fight.
mk1630
5/31/07 2:07:48PM

Posted by BeaturAss

Just kidding man!!

Here's a link to the latest interview with shogun:

http://www.mediafire.com/?b2x12meihpl

- Shogun is back to training 100%
- His contract states that he can fight in both Pride and UFC
- He will more likely fight in UFC next
- He thinks in a couple of weeks his next fight will be worked out
- He wants the UFC title
- He wants to show America his skills
- He thinks Rampage will beat Hendo
- Didn't pick a winner of Royce Sakuraba, just said Royce has a huge ground game but Sakuraba is Chute Box and always brings something new to his fights.
- He said he and Wandi don't pick their opponents but he thinks Tito and Rampage would be great fights for Wandi in UFC.

I thought the UFC didnt let their fighters fight with other orgs. when under contract ....whats the difference with this ?
AintRite
5/31/07 6:26:36PM

Posted by Svartorm

For the most part, I agree, but some injuries, like Saku when he lost to Arona because of his eye injury should be legit. Its not Aronas fault he busted Sakus eye too much to fight, and cut injuries, while a weak way to win, are still victories. Something like Silva vs. Irvin or Coleman vs. Shogun though should be called a No Contest if its that early in the fight.

Now those injuries are caused by getting your asswhooped then it's a legit loss, but like you said the other freak injuries should be a no contest.
JimiMak
6/1/07 12:04:49AM

Posted by Svartorm

I'm sorry, but how are they different. In Shogun/Coleman Coleman went for a simple double leg, Shogun knew from years of training that posting was the worst way to land. It isn't Coleman's fault some ppl view the win as false. He went for a specific thing, not only got it but injured his opponent doing a wrestling takedown (his specialty). Shogun is my favorite fighter, but a loss is a loss. Should it have been a loss if it were 1/2 way thru the 3rd? it is what it is.
BeaturAss
6/1/07 2:02:44AM

I thought the UFC didnt let their fighters fight with other orgs. when under contract ....whats the difference with this ?

They own Pride FC too so you cannot say that Pride is other org. and it seems that UFC wants all the best fighters in world in UFC instead of having two Orgs... They might use Pride FC as a tournament league like the Grand Prix and bring the champions to UFC! It's their Org. and they can do whatever they want and the market in MMA especially in US is growing by leaps and bounds so do everything here in the US!! It's a no brainer, why go to Japan when Japanese Orgs. are going to the US?! The money is in the US right now.