Matt Hughes Out Until 2011, Taking It "One Fight At A Time"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Matt Hughes Out Until 2011, Taking It "One Fight At A Time"
DCRage
8/8/10 2:09:59PM
Fresh off a triumphant submission victory over Ricardo Almeida at UFC 117, Matt Hughes says fighting will take a back seat to hunting this fall. "Early next year, I'll talk with the UFC, and we'll figure out what we're going to do," Hughes said. It was the former welterweight champion and recent UFC Hall of Fame inductee's third consecutive octagon victory after a disappointing run in which he lost his belt and dropped three out of four fights.

Article
SmileR
8/8/10 3:53:23PM
I loved seeing Hughes fight last night! I hope he sorts out a good fight for next year!
BigBadAl
8/8/10 3:54:09PM
Flawless victory.....Most impressive
whardin19
8/8/10 4:10:25PM
Last night Matt Hughes looked like the Matt Hughes of early years. Impressive win over "Big Dog". Hopefully we see him very early in 2011.
prozacnation1978
8/8/10 4:22:33PM
I am so glad I picked hughes to win last night
I was very impressed with him. Next year I can see him facing a jake shields or diego sanchez
AchillesHeel
8/8/10 4:34:30PM
I don't blame him. Unless he's going to pull a Chris Leben and fight again in a month, a proper training camp would have him either training or fighting over the holidays. And who wants to do that? If nothing else, seniority with the company means he doesn't have to pull the crappy shifts, so to speak. Let the new guys fight on the end-of-the-year cards. He wants to go hunting before Winter sets in and then spend the holidays with his wife and kids. I would too. If... y'know... I was a hunter... and had a wife and kids...

Lazerface
8/8/10 5:25:15PM
Hughes is lookin' good and is right back in the mix with that win over Ricardo. Who's next??? We'll have to see.......................
Wand_is_GOD
8/8/10 5:44:30PM
I not a fan of Hughes , but his last 2 fights where good to watch and I will be excited to see him fight again
jae_1833
8/8/10 5:46:24PM
I'd like to see him match up with Karo Paryisian really....a match that was supposed to happen years ago, entertaining fight that wouldn't really have any title implications. But a fight that would be competitive and fun to watch. Of course Karo would have to actually come back, show up, and every thing....but who knows weirder things have happened!
Boo_Radley21
8/8/10 5:56:13PM
That was a pretty badass win I got to admit, as much as I dislike Hughes as a person it's always good to see a legend get a good solid finish like that.
jlock003
8/8/10 6:53:42PM
The finish itself was insane, but I was more shocked by the cross that laid Big Dog on the canvas in the first place. Hughes looked as good last night as I've seen him look in a long time. With the Renzo fight he just seemed to be a fresher, younger, fighter and Renzo seemed outmatched. Last night he made good adjustments to Almeida's stand up and had a beautiful finish. I am personally a Hughes fan, but regardless if you love or hate the guy you have to aknowledge he looked impressive last night.
tcunningham
8/8/10 8:58:28PM
i see why they gave silva the SOTN but i personnally thought that hughes was better. i love to see the brazilians get silenced again by an american wrestler.
emfleek
8/8/10 9:30:50PM
Funny. I'd be a millionaire if I had a nickel for every time someone here claimed "Hughes is done" over the past year. Hell, just since the Renzo fight.
ncordless
8/8/10 9:59:33PM
I hope he gets matched up with Dennis Hallman to get his revenge. If it's ever going to happen, early 2011 would be fine. They both had good wins last night, and the winner would start sniffing at a title run.
bjj1605
8/8/10 10:41:49PM
I think Hallman would be an awesome fight and one of the few things that Hughes has left to do in his career. Another title would just be icing on the cake.
xtra_chewy
8/8/10 11:45:20PM
I'm also not a big fan of Hughes but that choke was pretty bad ass. I would like to see how he would do against an up and comer like Story.
jae_1833
8/9/10 9:01:49PM

Posted by ncordless

I hope he gets matched up with Dennis Hallman to get his revenge. If it's ever going to happen, early 2011 would be fine. They both had good wins last night, and the winner would start sniffing at a title run.

This is a great idea.....I thought they brought in Hallman to fight Hughes, wonder why it didn't happen to begin with. I don't think Hughes is really willing to fight the new "up and comers" as it may disinterest him.