Machida Wants Jardine Next

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Machida Wants Jardine Next
komodo20
10/10/07 12:14:43PM
Keith Jardine and Forrest Griffin were the talk of the town at UFC 76. Both Jardine and Griffin upset favorites Chuck “the Iceman” Liddell and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua respectively, instantly catapulting themselves up the Light Heavyweight rankings. Despite improving his MMA record to a perfect 11-0 that very same night by defeating Kazuhiro Nakamura, Ryoto “Lyoto” Machida was lost in the shadows. As a result, it is natural that the Brazilian would like to prove himself and stake his place amongst the upper echelons of the Light Heavyweight division. And what better way to make a statement than to take on the LHW division’s current “it-boy”? In an interview with Brazilian publication, Portal Do Vale Tudo, Lyoto Machida reveals that he would very much like to fight Jardine. Machida states,

“I would like to fight against Keith Jardine. If he could knock out Forrest Griffin and defeat Chuck Liddell, then he is the one I want to fight.”

Unfortunately for Ryoto, it may be a while before we see him getting a shot at the title. Machida is in a very difficult position. He is a great, proven fighter; yet he lacks the drawing power that many of the other fighters possess in the Light Heavyweight division. A victory against a high profile fighter such as Jardine or Griffin could very well be the catalyst that Machida needs to boost his popularity in UFC.

wapttn
10/10/07 12:21:19PM
machida needs to be a less boring fighter is what they're saying. I'm pretty sure he would beat jardine though.
NatedawgThaM
10/10/07 12:37:39PM
I say give him em'...this would be a great action packed fight because Machida really wants to finally stop somebody and Jardine wants to fight top tier guys and love sot finish his fights by KO so I think this would be a KO for Machida and then #1 contenders match(with possibly Wandy if he beats chuck) and then the winner faces the winner of Rampage/Forrest because most likely Forrest is getting the next shot after the HUGE sub win over everybodies former #1 LHW in the world...
ocho-cinco
10/10/07 12:38:26PM
The guy deserves a high profile fight. In the end this sport is about results, and you can't ignore a perfect record.
xxdeadpoolxx
10/10/07 1:21:34PM
I think that would be a good fight
wrona666
10/10/07 1:59:38PM
Maybe if Machida could actually finish a fight he might be a little higher up on the food chain, but if he was to fight Jardine i dont see that going to decision so i think that would be a good match..
silverbullet
10/10/07 2:14:07PM
Please provide a link with your post
komodo20
10/10/07 2:27:43PM

Posted by silverbullet

Please provide a link with your post

http://www.ufcdaily.com/2007/10/09/machida-wants-jardine-next/
loller90278
10/10/07 2:58:07PM
to me machida is much more exciting than josh koschek, rashad evans and other fighters from the UFC.
wapttn
10/10/07 3:01:53PM
Rampage is taking a short break, so i dont think griffin will fight him next.. I dont think griffin deserves to fight him next either. Griffin beat an injured, unjuiced shogun, not the OWGP2005 shogun. However, if griffin manages to beat someone like silva, or machida, tito, alexander, henderson, or jardine decisively.. then i'd say he deserves a shot
GermanWolf
10/10/07 3:30:37PM
You're actually making excuses for Shogun because "He wasn't juiced"? That's pathetic. As for being hurt, EVERYONE FIGHTS HURT. He's not using it as an excuse, so neither can you.

That being said, no one really deserves a title shot right now. Forrest got crushed by Jardine, Jardine got crushed by Alexander, and Alexander only has two fights. I think a Forrest-Jardine rematch for number one contender is in order. After Alexander massacres Thiago Silva, he should fight Machida. When Machida wins, give him Chuck or Wanderlei and then a title shot.

Regardless, Machida is going to be light heavyweight champ by the end of next year. He's the only one who can beat Rampage. Rampage, by the way, has to be laughing himself sick over his list of potential challengers. Griffin, Jardine? No disrespect to those guys, but sheer toughness is not going to help them against Rampage. He has better striking, wrestling, sub defense, and cardio than either of them. I see a prolonged shit kicking and late round stoppage any time he fights either of those two.
Sam_Rothstein
10/10/07 5:37:56PM
I think jardine will push the pace against machida and force him to either finish or be finished

I think machida will probably win though
cmill21
10/10/07 7:26:24PM
I hate guys who only punch people in the face. He is boring like, he hits people hard and they don't go to sleep, garbage. I love him as a fighter and think Jardine would take some punishment...like nak for instance.
Scott_Revels
10/10/07 7:26:29PM
Five words: Give him what he wants.

It would give Machida and Jardine legitimate title shot. Machida beats Jardine, then he beat the guy who beat Liddell. If Jardine wins then he would have beaten the guy who beat Bonnar, Penn, and Franklin.
Tardpie
10/10/07 9:02:09PM
I was thinking Machida vs Alexander would be an interesting fight as well. Houston likes to rush in and give it everything from the get-go, and Machida is so strategic and elusive... I could see Machida being one of the few people able to stop Alexander.
gravy13
10/11/07 12:52:08AM

Posted by GermanWolf
That being said, no one really deserves a title shot right now. Forrest got crushed by Jardine, Jardine got crushed by Alexander, and Alexander only has two fights. I think a Forrest-Jardine rematch for number one contender is in order. After Alexander massacres Thiago Silva, he should fight Machida. When Machida wins, give him Chuck or Wanderlei and then a title shot.

I totally agree with you on this. Also, I think Machida would own Jardine and he would take out Alexander. I think he would have a more difficult time with Alexander, he would just have to weather the storm and then pick him apart.