UFC Looking to Buy G4 Cable Channel, Spike Execs Prepare to Move On

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Looking to Buy G4 Cable Channel, Spike Execs Prepare to Move On
Next Page »
grappler0000
6/8/11 7:56:50PM
In a blockbuster development, the UFC is in talks to buy an ownership stake in the G4 cable channel, according to published reports.

On Wednesday, New York Times TV reporter Brian Stelter tweeted that a source had confirmed that "Comcast is meeting with UFC today about possible sale of a stake in G4." Meanwhile, The Wall Street Journal furthered the developing story, saying the UFC is in discussions to "buy control" of the network.

In recent days, sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity told MMA Fighting that Spike, which has been the home of the UFC since 2005, is essentially preparing for life without UFC, and that it will move the Bellator promotion on to the channel in 2012...

Full Story
Chael_Sonnen
6/8/11 8:02:47PM
Spike is crazy if they decide to move on......Without the UFC, how many episodes of MANswers can you air on a daily basis?
grappler0000
6/8/11 8:05:26PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Spike is crazy if they decide to move on......Without the UFC, how many episodes of MANswers can you air on a daily basis?

I doubt it's by choice.
Twenty20Dollars
6/8/11 8:28:55PM
Interesting, UFC to be out on Spike and Bellator in for next year possibly.

I'm sure UFC isn't too happy with the no UK events this year because of spike unwilling to move on the Oct 15, 2011 date.

I think they need to split because they don't seem to be working well together with TUF and events.
FastKnockout
6/8/11 8:42:17PM
Spike will always be the perfect home for the UFC. I'd hate to see them split.
Jekyll
6/8/11 8:45:18PM
it seems Spike is taking alot of heat for the latest season of TUF being bad... it was not Spikes fault they put on a bad season of TUF DWs gamble with putting Lensar on it failed misrably, and now Spike takes the heat for it.

IMO its gonna suck for Spike to lose the UFC, but the UFC needs to be careful where it goes. Spike is on most cable providers G4TV is not on most without buying the extra channel packages
mrsmiley
6/8/11 9:03:51PM
G4 has turned to almost complete utter garbage.
I got the channel for shows like Icons,the E3 coverage, plus Xplay,but now it's cops,cops,cops, oh look cheaters at 4:30.
UFC programming would add alot,but I wish G4 could stick to video games and nothing but.
grappler0000
6/8/11 9:09:20PM

Posted by mrsmiley

G4 has turned to almost complete utter garbage.
I got the channel for shows like Icons,the E3 coverage, plus Xplay,but now it's cops,cops,cops, oh look cheaters at 4:30.
UFC programming would add alot,but I wish G4 could stick to video games and nothing but.

I used to watch TechTV, but never really got into G4...I'm not really a gamer, so it makes sense. It's funny you mention Cops though, because that was the last thing I saw on the channel while channel surfing. I kinda chuckled, considering they gutted all of the TechTV talent only to playing Cops a few years later. UFC content would fill those gaps better than cops though IMO.
kopower
6/8/11 9:19:37PM
Man, I thought the UFC was supposed to move up in the world on a major network, not down. I have G4 but would have to search to find it. Unless the UFC somehow plans to totally rework the G4 channel, I think it's a bad move.
Budgellism
6/8/11 9:23:54PM
I have G4, so I'd be down.
Twenty20Dollars
6/8/11 9:26:46PM
They should move to Tru TV
emfleek
6/8/11 10:19:20PM
No G4 here so this move can suck it.
DeadHead988
6/8/11 10:29:13PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

wtf?

I think maybe 1% of people actually have that channel
Budgellism
6/8/11 10:41:11PM

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

wtf?

I think maybe 1% of people actually have that channel

I just assumed it was sarcasm. I've never heard of that channel :P.
emfleek
6/8/11 10:42:49PM

Posted by Budgellism

I just assumed it was sarcasm. I've never heard of that channel :P.

Formerly known as Court TV.
Twenty20Dollars
6/8/11 10:49:20PM
I think everybody that has Time Warner has it.

I'm just looking at the channels that I see that would make sense.

If I said HGTV then you know that I wasnt being serious.
jae_1833
6/8/11 11:05:32PM
The only thing that I have heard that has made any sense is that Spike is going to pick up Bellator after the UFC leaves.....UFC needs a real channel that reaches the masses not some crap channel nobody's heard of.
ChrisSabal
6/8/11 11:14:08PM
why would they move everything to G4?? I don't think G4 is with DirecTV anymore
grappler0000
6/8/11 11:24:10PM

Posted by jae_1833

The only thing that I have heard that has made any sense is that Spike is going to pick up Bellator after the UFC leaves.....UFC needs a real channel that reaches the masses not some crap channel nobody's heard of.

I would assume the theory is to invest in the channel now, since it's not exactly on the upswing. They'll get creative control over their product and a cheap (relatively speaking) investment wrapped up into one. If they could make more cable deals and turn the channel around, it would be the perfect long-term scenario for them. Who knows, maybe they even plan to revamp the channel's platform. Also, it's a sister channel of Versus...and with both being under NBC Universal, I wouldn't rule out a broadcast network deal down the road either. In other words, I'm sure Zuffa has some things up their sleeves "if" they choose to move forward with this deal.
Playground_Samurai
6/8/11 11:34:39PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

And I have DirectTV. I'm with Fleek, this move sucks. I would be devastated if I were unable to regularly view UFC programming.
Svartorm
6/8/11 11:36:30PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

You are correct. I have the Premium package and can't get it, so this will be just like the **** with Versus on DirectTv.
ChrisSabal
6/8/11 11:37:04PM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by ChrisSabal

And I have DirectTV. I'm with Fleek, this move sucks. I would be devastated if I were unable to regularly view UFC programming.

I don't feel like having to find another illegal stream to watch a regular TV event.
Kpro
6/9/11 12:38:14AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Svartorm

I have the Premium package and can't get it, so this will be just like the **** with Versus on DirectTv.

I get G4 in HD and have comfy couches.

I'm sure we can work something out, if you guys know what I mean.
Lesnar1
6/9/11 8:56:39AM
Thats pretty crazy if UFC own they're own cable channel (does that mean 24hrs of UFC will be on every day?) cause that'd be cool.
emfleek
6/9/11 10:34:00AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Svartorm

I have the Premium package and can't get it, so this will be just like the **** with Versus on DirectTv.

I get G4 in HD and have comfy couches.

I'm sure we can work something out, if you guys know what I mean.

32/m/Indiana

Stats?
prozacnation1978
6/9/11 11:46:28AM
I don't think I can get the G4 channel
Never heard of it
prozacnation1978
6/9/11 12:24:19PM
I do have g4 just checked
But I gotta buy another package to get it
And with this and the extra package just for bellator fights
These days its getting pricey to watch fights
ncordless
6/9/11 12:58:25PM
Wish I would have known about this two weeks ago when I signed a 2-year agreement with DirecTV.

ChrisSabal
6/9/11 1:17:00PM

Posted by Lesnar1

Thats pretty crazy if UFC own they're own cable channel (does that mean 24hrs of UFC will be on every day?) cause that'd be cool.

I don't see UFC gutting the entire channel. It used to be pretty popular when they had a lot more gaming shows on it and I know I was sad when DirecTV got rid of it.
icantthinkofanything
6/9/11 2:41:15PM
G4???
what cable company has that?
, I don't have it,
I think ION is the best bet outside of Spike
Pages: [1] 2