MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Lesnar vs. Carwin
« Previous Page
POLL: Who Wins?
Brock Lesnar 58% (42)
Shane Carwin 42% (30)
slapshot
8/22/09 4:34:01PM
Its a repost but,

I dont think anyone can match Brock in the wrestling department he has that type of power advantage over everyone in the UFC his skill might be fairly even with a few guys but the size and strength advantage is what puts him so far above other wrestlers . Brock is like a gigantic Matt Hughes back in his prime and the holes are there but I just dont see Carwin being able to exploit them.

It will take a large fighter with exceptionally technical striking skills and a rock solid TD defense beat Brock. To some that might sound like Carwin all day long. I dont think so.

Carwin is a heavy hitter no doubt about it but there are some unique challenges Brock presents that give me pause.

First of all there is the size/reach advantage that will present him with a challenge then you pile on to that the fact that his hand speed is average and now you really are looking at somewhat of a hill to climb. Brock will always be looking for the TD and something Ive noticed with most fighters is, if they are thinking about defending a TD it effects their striking.

The next item up for bid is his chin. Its not like Gabe had him "just a little hurt" he was out on his feet. If this comes down to a test of chins I still think Carwin has a punchers chance but his striking is not leaps and bounds more technical than Brocks.

The question that seals the deal for me is conditioning, in the Carwin Gonzaga fight both fighters got rocked and both fighters were gassing out completely. To beat Brock a fighter needs to be ready for a war of attrition and if Carwin goes deeper than two rounds I dont know that he can mount any offence or stop a TD.

I think if Carwin can keep it standing he'll have a fair chance but he'll need to finish him in the first or early in the second round otherwise I see Brock getting the takedown and grinding out a TKO.

Thats still the way I feel about it.
State_Champ
8/22/09 5:55:58PM
If I'm Shane Carwin in this fight I'm looking for a flying armbar.
Brock would never expect it!
juggernautakira
8/23/09 5:12:47PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by kerryweb

I think some are billing it as a Clash of the Giants fight, but it isn't. Carwin is about the same size as Randy

Lol.

-

This is a pretty tough fight to call, becouse its just to difficult to guess how Brock is going to do against somebody of a similar size. I mean, he did get rocked against Mir so if Carwin lands flush you've got to think Brock will go down. But the dudes just so quick and strong, I cant imagine his takedowns being stuffed. It'll be interesting to see how his cardio holds up if Shane stuffs his takedowns and stays on top, forcing Lesnar to work back up.

As of now im leaning towards Lesnar with a second round stoppage or a UD.

Its pretty clear Carwin is larger than randy. ****, Randy still looks like a 205er in the ring. That being said, everyone else has already filled in the nonsense gaps.

I am going with Carwin. Reason being? Randy's fight with Brock. Randy got closer than anyone has (besides Mirs lucky sub) and was at a size disadvantage. Not to say Carwin has Randy's mind, but I dont see him as a dumb fighter.

The only thing I have working against me is Carwins wobbly legs when he got struck by Gonzaga. HOWEVER, he recovered quickly. To add to my prediction, someone said Gonzaga isnt known for his striking? Kind of hard to take that seriously now with Gonzaga knocking Cro Cop out.

To summarize, I can see Carwin surviving a few hits while trading massive blows. This goes for Ground n Pounding as well. No subs will be made. The question of being gassed comes up. Carwin hasnt really been tested, but Brock did look a little winded in Randy's fight. Hell, even Rogan pointed it out.

Its a tough call and I wouldnt be surprised either way. There will be a TKO or KO.
george112
8/23/09 6:08:35PM

Posted by juggernautakira

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by kerryweb

I think some are billing it as a Clash of the Giants fight, but it isn't. Carwin is about the same size as Randy

Lol.

-

This is a pretty tough fight to call, becouse its just to difficult to guess how Brock is going to do against somebody of a similar size. I mean, he did get rocked against Mir so if Carwin lands flush you've got to think Brock will go down. But the dudes just so quick and strong, I cant imagine his takedowns being stuffed. It'll be interesting to see how his cardio holds up if Shane stuffs his takedowns and stays on top, forcing Lesnar to work back up.

As of now im leaning towards Lesnar with a second round stoppage or a UD.

Its pretty clear Carwin is larger than randy. ****, Randy still looks like a 205er in the ring. That being said, everyone else has already filled in the nonsense gaps.

I am going with Carwin. Reason being? Randy's fight with Brock. Randy got closer than anyone has (besides Mirs lucky sub) and was at a size disadvantage. Not to say Carwin has Randy's mind, but I dont see him as a dumb fighter.

The only thing I have working against me is Carwins wobbly legs when he got struck by Gonzaga. HOWEVER, he recovered quickly. To add to my prediction, someone said Gonzaga isnt known for his striking? Kind of hard to take that seriously now with Gonzaga knocking Cro Cop out.

To summarize, I can see Carwin surviving a few hits while trading massive blows. This goes for Ground n Pounding as well. No subs will be made. The question of being gassed comes up. Carwin hasnt really been tested, but Brock did look a little winded in Randy's fight. Hell, even Rogan pointed it out.

Its a tough call and I wouldnt be surprised either way. There will be a TKO or KO.

im the someone that said gonzaga isnt known for his striking and...hes not.

he knocked crocop out with a kick at the end of the round big deal.he wasnt owning crocop.

also if your telling me mirs sub was lucky than so was gonzagas kick.

(i dont think mirs sub was lucky by the way)

Sinister
8/23/09 9:29:52PM
My bad. I swear I say at the gonzaga fight he weighed in the 230s.
Pages: 1 2 [3]