Kimbo Ready to Turn it Up a Notch

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kimbo Ready to Turn it Up a Notch
grappler0000
11/10/07 11:46:13AM
When Internet street fighting legend Kevin Ferguson (a.k.a. “Kimbo Slice”) decided to make his transition into mixed martial arts back in June against former boxing champion Ray Mercer, many people thought it was a publicity stunt. Little did they know how serious he had taken his new profession. After quickly submitting Mercer in less than a minute, people started looking at Kimbo Slice a little more seriously.

Link
ohiostate1016
11/10/07 12:49:54PM
Kimbo is a bad dude. And now that he has some training, he could be dominant. Many people don't realize that MMA is indebted to Bas Rutten just as much as it is to Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock. Bas fought in MMA events before UFC 1 in Pancrase, and he's been active ever since. Training with Bas is definitely something to write home about.

Kimbo is already one of the baddest strikers on the planet, and I think he's better now. Plus, he has obviously been training on the ground, and I think that it was his plan to submit Ray Mercer. He didn't want to knock him out, because people alread know he can do that (just type Kimbo Slice into YouTube).

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a champion someday. Not just a Strikeforce champion, but a UFC champion. I think that if he dominates in two fights, he could get signed by the UFC, and that dream matchup with Brock Lesnar could be realized. But that's a year away.

It's interesting that he's bought into Mickey's (Rocky, you idiots) plan of no sex before a fight. "Women make your legs weak." That's one of the most memorable lines from the Rocky series. It's right up there with "Adrain, we did it!" and "I ain't stupid."
silverbullet
11/10/07 2:59:45PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Kimbo is a bad dude. And now that he has some training, he could be dominant. Many people don't realize that MMA is indebted to Bas Rutten just as much as it is to Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock. Bas fought in MMA events before UFC 1 in Pancrase, and he's been active ever since. Training with Bas is definitely something to write home about.

Kimbo is already one of the baddest strikers on the planet, and I think he's better now. Plus, he has obviously been training on the ground, and I think that it was his plan to submit Ray Mercer. He didn't want to knock him out, because people alread know he can do that (just type Kimbo Slice into YouTube).

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a champion someday. Not just a Strikeforce champion, but a UFC champion. I think that if he dominates in two fights, he could get signed by the UFC, and that dream matchup with Brock Lesnar could be realized. But that's a year away.

It's interesting that he's bought into Mickey's (Rocky, you idiots) plan of no sex before a fight. "Women make your legs weak." That's one of the most memorable lines from the Rocky series. It's right up there with "Adrain, we did it!" and "I ain't stupid."

This is all sarcasm, right? My sarcasm meter is a little off today.
ohiostate1016
11/10/07 3:02:43PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by ohiostate1016

This is all sarcasm, right? My sarcasm meter is a little off today.

No, I was giving my honest opinion. I think that Kimbo can be a force in MMA.
Red-Dragon
11/10/07 3:21:50PM
Now that's just plain silly.

Kimbo would have a tough time taking out Tank let alone Randy, Big Nog or any of those types. Even Big Tim would kill him.

I think that it is very unlikely you will see Kimbo in UFC.

In fact I will go as far as to say that he will lose tonight.

silverbullet
11/10/07 3:24:01PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Kimbo is one of the baddest strikers on the planet? Do you say that because Kimbo has fought some serious world-class fighters? Or do you say that because you have seen him knock out some over-weight hoodlums on YouTube?
bayonetxwork
11/10/07 5:36:20PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Are you being serious?

Especially about the whole baddest strikers/youtube type thing
ohiostate1016
11/10/07 5:38:19PM
How many of you would legitimately step up to Kimbo in a street fight?...That's what I thought.
jiujitsufreak74
11/10/07 5:43:35PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

How many of you would legitimately step up to Kimbo in a street fight?...That's what I thought.

that's not the issue (although i would if i were heavier than 155)...the issue is that he is not as good as other top fighters. his striking is better than the average mma fans...but what does that tell you? every mma fighter would whoop most of u sin a street fighter, so to say that he is a great striker is a stretch imo, only because he hasn't fought any world class talent yet. lets see how he does in his fight tonight before we start saying hes gonna be a champ.

and again...to say he is a great striker is definitely a stretch...he hasn't proven anything to me that would make me think otherwise.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/10/07 6:49:23PM
LOL no I must admit I would not step into a street fight with kimbo...maybe if he wasent poppin' a couple of diazepam before each one... lol aaaanyways all people are trying to say is dont take him toooo seriously right away. yeah ok he submitted a world class mma fighter (completely out of his prime and shape)... and im pretty sure you wouldnt take em' on either so yeah shut up.
jiujitsufreak74
11/10/07 8:02:09PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

LOL no I must admit I would not step into a street fight with kimbo...maybe if he wasent poppin' a couple of diazepam before each one... lol aaaanyways all people are trying to say is dont take him toooo seriously right away. yeah ok he submitted a world class mma fighter (completely out of his prime and shape)... and im pretty sure you wouldnt take em' on either so yeah shut up.

ok first of all, ray mercer is not an mma fighter, he is a retired professional boxer who fought kimbo for the publicity.

Second, i would fight kimbo in a street fight...not saying i would win...but i wouldn't mind fighting him. again im giving him like 100 lbs so it wouldn't be fair, but i would still do it because i love to fight.. if i was his weight i would just take it to the ground and work my JJ which is pretty solid IMO.

so don't tell me to "shut up" after making such a ill-based argument. the fact that you thought mercer was a former world class fighter speaks to how much you really know about mma.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/10/07 8:23:18PM
Well sorry Mr. Technical I know it all... He fought a world class fighter that went intoo MMA. SOOOOOOOOOORRRRRYYYYYYYY... And yeah... suuure you'd take em' on just cause u like to fight... pretty sure if he was right in front of you ready to fight in a back alley you'd punk out like the rest of us, not considering the fact that u have that 100lbs disadvantage (as do i )
Djbb
11/10/07 10:39:28PM
I'm not fond of Kimbo, but I'll give him due credit for taking his training seriously. I won't hesitate to stoop to "I told you so" when he gets his ass kicked though. Or maybe he'll be the one whooping ass? Who knows. Hes got potential, but hes also a black version of Tank Abbot.
jiujitsufreak74
11/10/07 11:05:49PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Well sorry Mr. Technical I know it all... He fought a world class fighter that went intoo MMA. SOOOOOOOOOORRRRRYYYYYYYY... And yeah... suuure you'd take em' on just cause u like to fight... pretty sure if he was right in front of you ready to fight in a back alley you'd punk out like the rest of us, not considering the fact that u have that 100lbs disadvantage (as do i )

look...i am not saying i would beat him, but if he challenged me to a street fight (disregarding my wieght disadvantage) i would take it even knowing i would most likely lose. i have fought with a lot of quality strikers that i know hit harder than kimbo (King Ken Hewski, 172lbs champ of ISKA is my kickboxing trainer...now he hits hard) and have definitely trained with people who have better JJ (People who work with serra come into my 'dojo') and I just love to fight. again i am in no way saying i would win, just that i would not back down although he is intimidating, its just that i train with a lot of people who are at semi-worldclass and my KB trainer is worldclass so i know what it is like to face someone better than you.