Kimbo Ready For A Big Slice Of MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kimbo Ready For A Big Slice Of MMA
DCRage
11/10/07 8:26:42AM
Kevin Ferguson, aka Kimbo Slice, wasn't taken seriously at first when he wanted to give MMA a try. But he's taken it seriously and is ready to prove it on tonight's EliteXC event.

Article

Perhaps the best line of the interview on his training: "I haven't had sex in four months." Priceless.
mrsmiley
11/10/07 8:48:03AM
I know a lot of fans aren't too fond of Kimbo,but I have to say I have respect for the guy.He has made it onto the scene with his own terms.He didn't rely on anyone else making him a star.He did it himself.I have herd of fighters starting their careers off just as Kimbo did.I have read several times Ken Shamrock made money in back alley fights in Japan.Bas was a bouncer,and claims to have had scuffles outside of the ring.I think one major difference is the fact that the internet is around today.We didn't get to see Shamrocks alleys fights posted on the internet.And if we had got to watch them,I'm sure we would have put Ken through the same criticism that we are Kimbo.Lets give the guy a chance and see how far he can make it.
Jackelope
11/10/07 12:05:06PM
I thought he was a joke until I saw that he went over to train with Bas Rutten. That was 100% of the deciding factor in how serious to take this guy. Especially when you heard Bas Rutten talking about how good Kimbo is. Nobody should take this guy lightly.

jiujitsufreak74
11/10/07 12:39:39PM
Well i am so serious about my training that i haven't had sex in 16 years...not that i had a choice though
NeaRMisS
11/10/07 2:00:20PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Well i am so serious about my training that i haven't had sex in 16 years...not that i had a choice though

I just dont know how to respond to that T_T.
silverbullet
11/10/07 3:30:34PM
It is quite sad that a bouncer with some heavy hands and no professional record to speak of, can generate so much publicity.
Red-Dragon
11/10/07 3:35:57PM
As usual, people are getting caught up in all the hype.

Do you seriously think that Bas Rutten would say "well, he is trying his best but he is still a pile of shit backyard fighter after all"

I don't think so people.

The man is being promoted as he should be. To create interest and money.

WAKE UP!
Jackelope
11/10/07 3:40:01PM
I'm in no way saying he's the next UFC HW champ, but the guy is definitely not someone "to be taken lightly" as I said in my post. If that means I've bought into the hype then I guess I'm guilty. I just don't think a big, scary, strong, streetfighting, and bas rutten trained fighter is someone to take lightly.
Red-Dragon
11/10/07 3:45:10PM
Not by the likes of you and me maybe. But I doubt any established MMA fighter really gives a shit.
loonytnt
11/10/07 4:35:17PM
kimbo is going to win this one imo
wapttn
11/11/07 2:22:12AM
all i'm gonna say is 19 seconds.

What people should've taken from the youtube fights is that he's tough, has a chin, and throws heavy. His opponents were never that great, but from watching what he does, you can still tell. What people should take from him training with bas is that he's 100% serious about his dedication to the sport, and is taking an intelligent and respectful approach to his training. Also, if bas is willing to train someone like that, and speaks highly of him, he's no joke. What we cant take from all this is how well he'll perform against well rounded professional heavyweights, let alone top tier fighters. With all that said, all you can do is wait and see.

I know that my pick was a 1st round knockout by kimbo
Jackelope
11/11/07 3:58:08AM

Posted by wapttn

all i'm gonna say is 19 seconds.

What people should've taken from the youtube fights is that he's tough, has a chin, and throws heavy. His opponents were never that great, but from watching what he does, you can still tell. What people should take from him training with bas is that he's 100% serious about his dedication to the sport, and is taking an intelligent and respectful approach to his training. Also, if bas is willing to train someone like that, and speaks highly of him, he's no joke. What we cant take from all this is how well he'll perform against well rounded professional heavyweights, let alone top tier fighters. With all that said, all you can do is wait and see.

I know that my pick was a 1st round knockout by kimbo

You illustrated my points exactly as I would have if I wasn't drunk when I wrote em all
jiujitsufreak74
11/11/07 11:07:41AM
looks like Kimbo's abstinence payed off for him