Ken-Flo Leaves Mark Della Grotte and Sit Yod Tong

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Ken-Flo Leaves Mark Della Grotte and Sit Yod Tong
RhythmAndStyle
9/18/09 11:33:30AM
Kenny Florian has split ways with Mark Della Grotte and will now be training with Firas Zahabi. For those who don't know, Firas runs GSP's camp out of the Tri Star Gym in Montreal.

Link
emfleek
9/18/09 11:50:14AM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Kenny Florian has split ways with Mark Della Grotte and will now be training with Firas Zahabi. For those who don't know, Firas runs GSP's camp out of the Tri Star Gym in Montreal.

Link

This is a messageboard post...not a news story. Moving it to the UFC forum.
Wallass
9/18/09 12:10:03PM
How is this a messageboard post? This is news if Ive ever heard it, the rules for posting news are stupid on this board. Cut us some slack, not like he didnt include the link.
RhythmAndStyle
9/18/09 12:30:55PM
yeah i thought this was news too..cause it's not a rumor or anything like that..and no one has ever herd it before..and plus it came off the ufc website..even though it was in the ufc forum section..it's still news..oh well,forget it..it's all good...
scoozna
9/18/09 1:21:22PM
Anybody have any info on why? Was it an amiable split up?
emfleek
9/18/09 1:31:58PM

Posted by Wallass

How is this a messageboard post? This is news if Ive ever heard it, the rules for posting news are stupid on this board. Cut us some slack, not like he didnt include the link.

Click on the link. It takes you to the UFC.com messageboard. *THAT* is how it's a messageboard post.

You don't have to like the rules, but you DO have to abide by them. If you don't want to, you're free to go elsewhere.
cowcatcher
9/18/09 1:34:28PM
its a newsworthy thing, but like fleek said, it came from a messageboard, and isnt a news article, its just a guy posting it.
emfleek
9/18/09 1:37:14PM

Posted by cowcatcher

its a newsworthy thing, but like fleek said, it came from a messageboard, and isnt a news article, its just a guy posting it.

Exactly. I'm not disputing the fact that it's newsworthy. However, if we were to believe everything was posted on a messageboard, the following would be true...

1.) The Milwaukee Brewers would win the World Series.
2.) I have Jessica Alba locked in my basement.
3.) Fedor could actually make a bear tapout.
cowcatcher
9/18/09 1:38:28PM
thanks for the brewers thing, appreciate that
emfleek
9/18/09 1:39:13PM

Posted by cowcatcher

thanks for the brewers thing, appreciate that

Twenty20Dollars
9/18/09 1:41:18PM
fedor did make a bear tapout, that big timmy bear.

SpiderSilva
9/18/09 1:54:08PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

fedor did make a bear tapout, that big timmy bear.

Ewwwww I was eating lunch. I like how the link for the pick is labled Tim Sylvia bloated. Maybe Kenflo feels he can't go any higher in the rankings like win a title staying where he was I think it might be a good move
Nightmare27
9/18/09 2:52:47PM
That Tim Silvia pic is hilarious, he almost looks like a giant Jamie Varner.
grappler0000
9/18/09 3:22:42PM

Posted by Nightmare27

That Tim Silvia pic is hilarious, he almost looks like a giant Jamie Varner.

Actually he looks like the "VH1: Where are they now?" version of Zangief from Street Fighter.
BustedKnuckle
9/18/09 5:04:29PM
Maybe a change is what Kenny needs to get himself in championship form. Working with GSP everyday wont hurt. I like the move and hope he does well there.
postman
9/18/09 6:11:28PM
Well that keeps Guida out of Monteral.
JimiMak
9/18/09 6:38:02PM
huh... I think Della Gratte (sp?) improved his game so much that I wonder if it's wise to change? A change could be what he needs to keep growing or it could be his downfall.... Time will tell.
KaibaThedon
9/18/09 7:35:25PM
Excellent!

WAR KENFLO
warglory
9/18/09 8:48:26PM
All the best fighters do this, it's not abnormal. Everyone goes to places like Xtreme Couture because there are always different fighters there to challenge your game.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
9/18/09 9:06:48PM
I would like to see marcus davis follow suit .
TimW001
9/18/09 10:27:52PM
Good for Kenny, this will be good for him.
Jackelope
9/19/09 3:22:56PM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm surprised people are saying it's a good move considering that Mark Delagrotte is probably the best footwork and corner coach in the game. I've never heard anyone as in tune to what is going on in the middle of the fight in between rounds as Mark Delagrotte. He's a fantastic coach IMO.

Not saying that changing things up occasionally is a bad thing, but the notion that Mark Delagrotte isn't a top tier coach right up alongside folks like Greg Jackson is laughable.
emfleek
9/24/09 8:58:31AM
More on this story can be found HERE, including Dellagrotte's reasoning behind the split.
Rush
9/24/09 10:54:36AM
Marks comments have to be the most cordial and profession words I have heard in such a situation.

Though, I don't understand what Kenny is doing and I suspect his career might suffer. That is, I don't like the idea of having Keith as head coach and it certainly didn't help him with BJ. His game plan was not the one I expected him to have. And it ended up failing big time.

Also, I don't get training with Firas Zahabi. I mean, the guy is supposed to be amazing (fighting and a good coach/cornerman), but to prepare for Clay Guida, I would think Kenny would want to work with some top wrestling guy(s). Otherwise he'll be on his back for the better of 15 min. and with another L to his record. I guess it's a question as to how much GSP will be at TriStar, and if he is there, how much wrestling will he be doing? My guess is not much. The other thing is how much training is Kenny doing at Tristar? Is he moving to Montreal or is it for training camps?
FlashyG
9/24/09 11:07:29AM
I could be wrong but isn't Tri-star affilliated with Jacksons camp in New Mexico?

That must be wierd with Jackson training Guida for this fight.
Rush
9/24/09 2:37:18PM

Posted by FlashyG

I could be wrong but isn't Tri-star affilliated with Jacksons camp in New Mexico?

That must be wierd with Jackson training Guida for this fight.

See my answer in the news thread

**see this is why I hate it when new is posted in here.
emfleek
9/24/09 2:52:52PM

Posted by Rush

**see this is why I hate it when new is posted in here.

It was originally posted in the News forum, but was moved here since the post was linked to a messageboard post and not an actual article. The story has since been confirmed and since we have an official article, I'll lock this thread so that the discussion can be centralized to one thread.

See the link above for the article that was posted in the News Forum.