Junior dos Santos Installed as Early Favorite Against UFC Champ Cain Velasquez

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Junior dos Santos Installed as Early Favorite Against UFC Champ Cain Velasquez
kopower
6/12/11 7:53:08PM
Junior dos Santos had not even gotten back to his locker room by the time fans and media everywhere were deep in thought about his future UFC heavyweight championship bout with Cain Velasquez.

Another party quite interested: gamblers.

According to noted MMA linesmaker Nick Kalikas, dos Santos is a slight edge in the possible fall matchup.

Just moments after UFC 131 ended, Kalikas installed dos Santos as a -125 favorite, giving him a very slight edge over the champion, who was listed at -105.

Link

Man I wish I had some money to throw down on Velasquez. I know he'll be going into the fight with a big layoff, but I have Cain winning.
FastKnockout
6/12/11 7:56:15PM
Hype. Don't get me wrong, I love Junior, he's my favorite Heavyweight, and I think he can do it. But, there is no reason why he should be a favorite over the current champion. No challenger should be a favorite over the champion.
Kpro
6/12/11 8:00:57PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Hype. Don't get me wrong, I love Junior, he's my favorite Heavyweight, and I think he can do it. But, there is no reason why he should be a favorite over the current champion. No challenger should be a favorite over the champion aside from GSP getting his rematch against Serra .

Fixed
FastKnockout
6/12/11 8:03:03PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by FastKnockout

Hype. Don't get me wrong, I love Junior, he's my favorite Heavyweight, and I think he can do it. But, there is no reason why he should be a favorite over the current champion. No challenger should be a favorite over the champion aside from GSP getting his rematch against Serra .

Fixed

Thanks for looking out. haha!
Twenty20Dollars
6/12/11 9:16:11PM
Cain UD, it's going 5.
calitrees
6/12/11 9:49:18PM
crazy cain still cant get respect hes the champ
prozacnation1978
6/12/11 10:57:50PM
Cain being out for a year may make a difference
ChrisSabal
6/12/11 11:19:26PM
I say Junior wins this fight by keeping it standing and simply outstrikes Cain but I can see Cain winning the last 2 rounds by heart and cardio. I think Junior will win the first 3 rounds though.
MisterFreeze
6/12/11 11:28:01PM
Does anyone remember when Cheik Kongo dropped Cain Velasquez at the opening of every round? Cheik could have beaten him if he only knew how to wrestle. With JDS' takedown defense I think he is going to knock Cain out.
kopower
6/12/11 11:33:08PM
From the looks of it so far, the playground odds might shape up to be the same. I guess I should have put up a poll about who takes the fight.
Bubbles
6/12/11 11:49:14PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by FastKnockout

Fixed

just about to say that lol

what about Bones/Shogun, Penn/Edgar II, Edgar/Maynard II, Shogun/Machida II, Rampage/Liddell II? how were those odds looking?
KungFuMaster
6/13/11 12:06:34AM
The champion does not necessarily have to be the favorite in all cases but in this case, Cain should be the favorite.

I forgot what the betting odds were for Randy vs Belfort but Belfort won due to no contest in their second fight in which Belfort was awarded the championship. In their third fight, Randy spanked Belfort just as hard as he spanked him in their first meeting. - As a bookie, it would be very difficult for me to open the betting lines of the third fight to favor Belfort when I know Randy has spanked Belfort in the first fight.

Back to Cain and JDS: Although Junior displayed excellence in his fight with Carwin, he is still a challenger. Cain has proven he is the champ and has brought Goliath to his knees.

Budgellism
6/13/11 1:46:03AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Hype. Don't get me wrong, I love Junior, he's my favorite Heavyweight, and I think he can do it. But, there is no reason why he should be a favorite over the current champion. No challenger should be a favorite over the champion.

This. It's all hype here. Here's an awesome challenger and I can't wait for the fight but I honestly see Cain winning. Gonna put a bet down here.
Jekyll
6/13/11 3:21:56AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Kpro

Posted by FastKnockout

Fixed

just about to say that lol

what about Bones/Shogun, Penn/Edgar II, Edgar/Maynard II, Shogun/Machida II, Rampage/Liddell II? how were those odds looking?

Penn v Pulver 1 Pulver was a 7 to 1 underdog... wish i bet on that fight...
Sir_Karl
6/13/11 3:29:32AM
I think dos Santos is in serious danger of being knocked out by Cain Velasquez. Shane Carwin may have a little bit of power but his boxing technique is seriously lacking. Velasquez has real power which comes from real technique.How is Junior going to react to a barrage of heavy crisp punches? I think Cain is far quicker and has more power and better technique than Junior has but how is Cain going to react if he does get hit by Junior? We can't forget that 3 or 4 times Kongo quivered Cain in their fight. Cain recovered quickly each time and ended up beating the tar out of Kongo but that fight proved that Cain can be dazed. We don't really know what kind of jaw Junior has as nobody has really whacked him real hard yet. I don't see how Junior is a slight favorite in this fight. If one of them doesn't knock the other out real quick it should be one hell of a war. Is anybody thinking about Velasquez's impressive Wrestling ability? Can dos Santos equalize it? I can't wait. I know one thing....Cain and Junior are two of my favorites. I hate when my favorites have to fight each other!!!!!
MisterFreeze
6/13/11 11:58:09PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I think dos Santos is in serious danger of being knocked out by Cain Velasquez. Shane Carwin may have a little bit of power but his boxing technique is seriously lacking. Velasquez has real power which comes from real technique.How is Junior going to react to a barrage of heavy crisp punches? I think Cain is far quicker and has more power and better technique than Junior has but how is Cain going to react if he does get hit by Junior? We can't forget that 3 or 4 times Kongo quivered Cain in their fight. Cain recovered quickly each time and ended up beating the tar out of Kongo but that fight proved that Cain can be dazed. We don't really know what kind of jaw Junior has as nobody has really whacked him real hard yet. I don't see how Junior is a slight favorite in this fight. If one of them doesn't knock the other out real quick it should be one hell of a war. Is anybody thinking about Velasquez's impressive Wrestling ability? Can dos Santos equalize it? I can't wait. I know one thing....Cain and Junior are two of my favorites. I hate when my favorites have to fight each other!!!!!

Roy Nelson hit JDS a couple times with some nice shots. Once I thought JDS was going down but he pushed through.