Junior Dos Santos confirms UFC 117 meeting with Roy Nelson

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Junior Dos Santos confirms UFC 117 meeting with Roy Nelson
sclasclemski
5/23/10 10:41:51AM
As expected Junior Dos Santos (11-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) will meet fellow heavyweight contender Roy Nelson (15-4 MMA, 2-0 UFC) in August at UFC 117.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported the main-card fight earlier this month, and Dos Santos recently confirmed the matchup with "The Ultimate Fighter 10" winner via Twitter.

UFC 117 takes place Aug. 7 at Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif. A middleweight title match between champion Anderson Silva and challenger Chael Sonnen headlines the pay-per-view show.

Nelson originally was slated to fight Cheick Kongo at UFC 116, but the French striker pulled out of the bout with a back injury.

Link

I'm very excited for this fight...I like both fighters and think if Nelson can avoid Cigano's bombs he may have a chance on the ground...gonna be a good one.
Wolfgang666
5/23/10 11:46:35AM
I hope Nelson doesn't try to stand and bang too much. Dos Santos jumped to his feet against Gonzaga, so I am curious to see his game against Roy Nelson. Hard fight to call.

On the one hand I think Dos Santos should be the favorite here, on the other hand, Nelson would give Lesnar much more problems if the two ever fought.
chickmagnet
5/23/10 2:14:24PM
As of right now I say JDS. But he should definitely respect the right hand of Nelson. Roys knocked out two much taller opponents, so JDS needs to avoid that and focus on kicks.
grappler0000
5/23/10 2:52:24PM

Posted by chickmagnet

As of right now I say JDS. But he should definitely respect the right hand of Nelson. Roys knocked out two much taller opponents, so JDS needs to avoid that and focus on kicks.

I'll give Roy credit for his improved striking, but let's not get carried away. Roy knocked out Schaub and Struve, while JDS has been cleaning house against better competition...and two of those guys were K-1 level strikers.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/23/10 5:27:06PM
Roy still ought not be overlooked in this match, either. I'll probably pick Cigano but I won't be surprised if Nelson takes this one.
casketcoin
5/24/10 1:39:48PM
I hear they're making a Jackass 3. Sounds like a good idea for Knoxville or Steve-0 to be in Roys stomach that night
Bloodhound
5/24/10 8:54:43PM
im looking foward to this fight it should be interesting JDS is the better striker but Roy has a powerful right hand, I think Roy Nelson is gonna use his superior wrestling/jujitsu. If JDS can keep it standing he will probably win but Roy Nelson has no pride on how he wins a fight he just wanst to win so i expect Nelson to do all he can to get this fight on the ground.
Chael_Sonnen
5/25/10 2:26:50PM
Pulling for JDS
chickmagnet
5/25/10 2:53:13PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by chickmagnet

I'll give Roy credit for his improved striking, but let's not get carried away. Roy knocked out Schaub and Struve, while JDS has been cleaning house against better competition...and two of those guys were K-1 level strikers.

yeah but anyone can get caught...im not saying Roys striking is on the same level, but if Roy hits someone flush, doesnt matter who, there going to get there brain rattled..
gartface
5/25/10 3:46:40PM
I don't know what to think about this fight right now. Both fighters have a significant advantage in one department, and I think both have a completely even shot of winning this fight.