UFC 82: Jon Fitch to fight in Columbus against possibly Akihiro Gono (Exclusive)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 82: Jon Fitch to fight in Columbus against possibly Akihiro Gono (Exclusive)
babalu2720
11/20/07 5:47:06PM
MMAmania.com (www.mmamania.com) learned earlier this morning that welterweight contender Jon Fitch (15-2) has been approached about fighting Akihiro Gono (27-12-7) at UFC 82 at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, on March 1.

Fitch will fight on the card; however, Gono is not a lock to be his opponent at this time. Our sources indicate that the Fitch camp is working hard to line up a showdown with Karo Parisyan instead. That fight makes the most sense in terms of clearing up the 170-pound log jam.

http://mmamania.com/2007/11/20/ufc-82-jon-fitch-to-fight-in-columbus-against-possibly-akihiro-gono-exclusive/
MondayNiteMauser
11/20/07 5:54:12PM
If Jon Fitch and Gono actually do fight this will be a wash...Fitch is a stand out wrestle who finishes fights.,....Gono?? Gono is not even on the same level as Fitch, he was an average fighter in Pride and will be an average fighter in the UFC....Gono is a showman who other than the armbar he put on mccory last weekend can't finish fights or atleast i haven't seen him finish to many. Plain and simple fitch deserves a title shot...he would be taking a step backwards if this fight goes down
tuvok500
11/20/07 6:10:04PM
Gono !! ????? is this a loke ???

Fitch rd 1 by total destruction !!!

gono was losing his last fight before catching mccroy with a lucky punch !
his armbar was very impressive but come on ...

kevietre
11/20/07 6:22:37PM
Gono has been in fight's with Dan Henderson and Shogun. He also holds victories over Hector Lombard and Ivan Salaverry. He's got the experience over Fitch and I was impressed with his fight against Tamden since The Barncat had about a 10 inch reach advantage. Fitch will be bigger and stronger but these are the type of guys Gono is used to fighting. I wont be suprised if Gono pulls off the upset.
nickcuc547
11/20/07 6:26:02PM
if fitch wins he should get the title shot after gsp, gono is not an easy opponent for anybody. he is actually very dangerous. still i think fitch will control his way to a decision but gono is as solid as they get.
cmill21
11/20/07 6:51:14PM
I think fitch will win, but I could honestly see Gono pulling off a sub.
stickyhash421
11/20/07 6:54:25PM
the ufc is so lame for not giving Fitch the next title shot instead of lay and pray hughes
cowcatcher
11/20/07 7:17:55PM
unless karo is getting the next shot after gsp, he should be fighting fitch, its as simple as that. gono isnt a slouch, and can beat anyone on experience alone, but 9/10 times fitch should beat him. if fitch and karo end up fighting that will be a very good one, and will help clear up the #1 contender at WW after gsp.
wrona666
11/20/07 7:21:27PM
I think Fitch vs Karo would be an awesome fight....it would probably be a ground war, but a very exciting ground war....
loller90278
11/20/07 7:31:39PM
i don't like this fight at all... especially cuz this fight will only be 3 rounds.

i actually would prefer to see tamden vs fitch, that kid really impressed me with is fight against gono.

and tuvok - how was that punch LUCKY.. i hate when people say that. he dropped him, got a superior position and finished it. he's been training to do that for 10 years and its unfair for a keyboard warrior to just claim that its lucky.
MMA
11/20/07 7:32:26PM
Just let Fitch fight Karo already!
postman
11/20/07 7:41:20PM

Posted by stickyhash421

the ufc is so lame for not giving Fitch the next title shot instead of lay and pray hughes

I don't agree that Hughes is a Lay n Pray fighter. When he gets a guy down he try’s to GNP or sub them out. He only has 3 dec. in the UFC. In the loss to GSP most of the fight was standing up. He has TKOS on Penn Royce (which he had a Kimura that most would have tapped on) Castillo 2 on Newton Sakurai and Aguiar. He has also subbed GSP Riggs and Choked Trigg out 2 times. Isn't lay n Pray when a guy gets on top and dose enough to keep the position and hold off for the decision (Sherk)?
tuvok500
11/20/07 8:01:07PM

Posted by loller90278

i don't like this fight at all... especially cuz this fight will only be 3 rounds.

i actually would prefer to see tamden vs fitch, that kid really impressed me with is fight against gono.

and tuvok - how was that punch LUCKY.. i hate when people say that. he dropped him, got a superior position and finished it. he's been training to do that for 10 years and its unfair for a keyboard warrior to just claim that its lucky.

LOL !!
Alright it was a very good punch right on the button !!!

but, i am still believing that Fitch will destroy him in a 3 rd , 5 rd ,10 rd, 100 rd fight for sure !!!

stickyhash421
11/20/07 8:02:32PM

Posted by postman

Posted by stickyhash421

I don't agree that Hughes is a Lay n Pray fighter. When he gets a guy down he try’s to GNP or sub them out. He only has 3 dec. in the UFC. In the loss to GSP most of the fight was standing up. He has TKOS on Penn Royce (which he had a Kimura that most would have tapped on) Castillo 2 on Newton Sakurai and Aguiar. He has also subbed GSP Riggs and Choked Trigg out 2 times. Isn't lay n Pray when a guy gets on top and dose enough to keep the position and hold off for the decision (Sherk)?

ive seen most of hughes' fights im not impressed, no standup at all, anybody can have tons of strength that dosnt mean your a good fighter just cus you take it to the ground when your getting wooped on, hughes' only hope for the belt again is the serra fight and thats why dana is giving it to him.

charuto got robbed in his fight with hughes, hughes should have lost his belt, but the bias ufc made a terrible decision almost worse than the bisping/hamill fight
wapttn
11/20/07 8:03:17PM
hughes is not a lay and pray fighter. He definately uses his wrestling skills to get opponents to the ground and control them, but he does damage and always looks to advance his position. Not only that, but his standup and jj are very respectable. Hughes deserves this title shot, although he probably should've fought someone better than lytle to get it.

Fitch should not get the next title shot. Its impressive that he has like 14 wins in a row, but he's never beat a top5 opponent, and sanchez barely counts as a top10 right now. I definately like fitch, and hope that he gets the opportunities that he deserves, but he would need to beat someone like karo before he gets his titleshot. What i would actually love to see is fitch vs gsp on the dec 29th card (got my tickets a couple weeks ago). In my mind, these are the no1 and no2 contenders and would eliminate doubt from anyones mind as to who deserves the next titleshot. Also, with them fighting on that card, the winner would be available for the next title shot when the winner of hughes/serra was ready. You could have karo fight the loser of that bout and use that to help establish the next no1 contender.

stickyhash421
11/20/07 8:05:51PM

Posted by wapttn

hughes is not a lay and pray fighter. He definately uses his wrestling skills to get opponents to the ground and control them, but he does damage and always looks to advance his position. Not only that, but his standup and jj are very respectable. Hughes deserves this title shot, although he probably should've fought someone better than lytle to get it.

Fitch should not get the next title shot. Its impressive that he has like 14 wins in a row, but he's never beat a top5 opponent, and sanchez barely counts as a top10 right now. I definately like fitch, and hope that he gets the opportunities that he deserves, but he would need to beat someone like karo before he gets his titleshot. What i would actually love to see is fitch vs gsp on the dec 29th card (got my tickets a couple weeks ago). In my mind, these are the no1 and no2 contenders and would eliminate doubt from anyones mind as to who deserves the next titleshot. Also, with them fighting on that card, the winner would be available for the next title shot when the winner of hughes/serra was ready. You could have karo fight the loser of that bout and use that to help establish the next no1 contender.

fitch has beaten enough people, who cares what someones opinion of top 10 is, if thats your argument than hughes hasnt beaten anybody in the top 10 for a long time, which kills your whole argument (BJ did not deserve a title shot after losing to GSP). fitch beat enough great fighters to get a shot and he knows it, if i were him im be pissed off
tuvok500
11/20/07 8:14:25PM

Posted by stickyhash421

Posted by postman

Posted by stickyhash421

ive seen most of hughes' fights im not impressed, no standup at all, anybody can have tons of strength that dosnt mean your a good fighter just cus you take it to the ground when your getting wooped on, hughes' only hope for the belt again is the serra fight and thats why dana is giving it to him.

charuto got robbed in his fight with hughes, hughes should have lost his belt, but the bias ufc made a terrible decision almost worse than the bisping/hamill fight

man, if Hughes was not a good fighter and he were only LNP in every fight , he would not have been the champ for so long and beated so many guys by many technique other than LNP !! According to you , it should be VERY EASY to beat a guy like that and every opponent who were overwhelme by Hughes's power were just low level fighters ???

an amrbar , a rear naked shoke ,a TKO by strike , a KO by SLAM etc.. is nowhere close to what you think of him.

the only reason he will fight Serra is because that he was champ for a long time and he beated Lytle to claim another chance to bring back his belt, like MANY others champ before who were having to win only 1 fight to become a title contender again.

so, even if Fitch is good and many other fighter are good, i can tell you that Hughes is as good as them and he deserve his shot against Serra !!

postman
11/20/07 8:17:42PM
I think the lay off clouds everyones vision on Matt getting this fight If it happened in the early fall like it should have most wouldn't have a problem with it and Fitch probley would be getting a title shot.
warglory
11/20/07 9:44:08PM
Fitch deserves a title shot more than any other fighter in the division save for maybe GSP. Because GSP gets the next fight, Fitch's only logical opponent should be Karo. I agree with his camp. I also think Fitch would beat Karo in a decision.
stickyhash421
11/20/07 10:51:19PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by stickyhash421

Posted by postman

Posted by stickyhash421

man, if Hughes was not a good fighter and he were only LNP in every fight , he would not have been the champ for so long and beated so many guys by many technique other than LNP !! According to you , it should be VERY EASY to beat a guy like that and every opponent who were overwhelme by Hughes's power were just low level fighters ???

an amrbar , a rear naked shoke ,a TKO by strike , a KO by SLAM etc.. is nowhere close to what you think of him.

the only reason he will fight Serra is because that he was champ for a long time and he beated Lytle to claim another chance to bring back his belt, like MANY others champ before who were having to win only 1 fight to become a title contender again.

so, even if Fitch is good and many other fighter are good, i can tell you that Hughes is as good as them and he deserve his shot against Serra !!

i know your trying to sway me but i just cant stand lay and pray,
and he was champ for so long because of bad competition.
he got wooped on by charuto and therefore shouldnt have kept the belt
Mayhem13
11/20/07 11:44:19PM
I cant wait for this event, I will be there finally!

I think Gono is etter then a lot of people think, but Iwould still see Fitch dominating him pretty good..Karo on the other hand can make any fight close....he just has that way of putting a fighter out of his game.....if I had to pick a winner I'd say Fitch by Decision....but it would be a battle
postman
11/21/07 12:48:22AM

Posted by stickyhash421

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by stickyhash421

Posted by postman

Posted by stickyhash421

i know your trying to sway me but i just cant stand lay and pray,
and he was champ for so long because of bad competition.
he got wooped on by charuto and therefore shouldnt have kept the belt

No one is trying to sway you all we are saying is he is not a Lay n Pray fighter there is nothing that can support that.
wapttn
11/21/07 1:05:36AM

Posted by stickyhash421

fitch has beaten enough people, who cares what someones opinion of top 10 is, if thats your argument than hughes hasnt beaten anybody in the top 10 for a long time, which kills your whole argument (BJ did not deserve a title shot after losing to GSP). fitch beat enough great fighters to get a shot and he knows it, if i were him im be pissed off

are you serious? jason reinhardt was 18-0, does he deserve the next title shot? definately not. Why? because he hasnt beat top competition. And are you seriously stating that hughes hasnt fought anybody in the top10 for a long time? the ufc ww division has been the most stacked 170lb division for the longest time meaning that his title defenses have definately been against top10 opponents. I dont know for sure about all his fights, but I'm positive that carlos newton, frank trigg, joe riggs, sean sherk, penn, and GSP were all top10 if not top5 when he beat them. GSP deserved the title shot after he beat penn, but he was injured, and BJ was the next best option, especially considering that many fans thought he had won that fight and technically he was the no2 contender and had a previous win over hughes. Considering how stacked the ww division is, saying that he's beat enough great fighters to get a titleshot is a joke. I think that he's one fight away from a title shot, but that one fight is gonna easily be the biggest test of his career. Like how do you justify that he deserves the title shot more than karo? Karo has a win over the current champ, and has beaten way better competition in the ufc (chonan, diaz, fickett, thompson, and lytle)

I dont think fitch is pissed off, i think fitch wants the fight with karo because they both realize that that's the fight which will earn them the title shot they both want. I think you're the only one pissed off because for some unknown reason you got a death-grip on fitch's nuts.
EpicTerran
11/21/07 3:00:47AM
**** this who cares about gono , give him time to establish himself in the UFC , fitch deserves a big time fight , this is garbage
CornishMMA
11/21/07 6:25:22AM
This baloney mixed with poopoo imho

Alves said he was also mentioned Gono as possible next opponent, seems like Joe Silva just asks everyone to see what their reaction is then decides who gets who
JWils
11/21/07 3:13:00PM

Posted by stickyhash421

Posted by postman

Posted by stickyhash421

My question to you is, if "anybody can have tons of strength" why is that hardly anyone in the weltervweight class can deal will Hughes on the ground? Face it, my friend, you might not like Hughes but the guy is an awesome fighter. Not everyone can strike like GSP or have BJJ like Penn. Hughes uses his strength, cardio, and underrated submission skills. To say he's not a good fighter is just dumb.

Another thing, since Hughes only wins on the ground, does that mean you think Cro Cop is a bad fighter too? He only wins his fights one way.... on his feet.
Kugel
1/9/08 7:18:24PM
Interesting fight...but Fitch should take this one. Gono is no joke, but Fitch is better than him in every aspect.