Jake Shields...What a waste!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Jake Shields...What a waste!
johny_rotten
6/3/07 7:51:49PM
For those that don't know Jake Shields he is easily a top 5 170lb fighter that most MMA fans have never seen. He has an outstanding record of 18-4-1. His notable wins are over Mach Sakurai, Yushin Okami, Dave Mene, and defeated WEC champ Carlos Condit to win the ICON 175lb tourny. The problem is Jake has decided to fight for Bodog, and Elite XC instead of making the jump to Pride or the UFC. This is a problem because since he isn't a huge draw no one of any merit will fight him in these shows. I hope he jumps ship, and comes over to the UFC so we can see how he measures up against the other elite 170lb fighters.
xthe_scottx
6/3/07 7:57:34PM
Well, I would disagree that he is a top 5 WW but he is definitely top 10 at WW. It was probably smart that he didn't go to the UFC because he would probably never get a title shot just like Fitch and would be forced to fight on the undercard where as he is #1 without a doubt in EliteXC. I'd like to see him in the UFC though.
kaduey
6/9/07 1:02:40PM
Jake Shields was supposed to fight Josh Neer in the UFC but he got injured and Nick Diaz (Jake's stablemate) stepped in and took care of Neer.
EEKS
6/17/07 7:56:59AM
top 10 imo but going to Bodog is a mistake if he really wants to challenge himself.
babalu2720
6/17/07 8:07:51AM
While he is a top ten fighter a lot of mma fans call him boring so i dont know if hed be a huge draw. I dont think Jake would appeal to the casual American fan. I do agree that he deserves a chance in the big orgs
Northrend
6/17/07 3:00:44PM
I love to watch Jake Shields fight. He is very technical and reminds me of sorta a american version of Sanae Kikuta. I remember hearing that he tried out for 1 of the TUF seasons but didn't get in.
SteedTheDeed
6/21/07 1:34:29AM
Didn't he say the UFC didn't offer him enough?
madmarck
6/22/07 6:41:57PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

Well, I would disagree that he is a top 5 WW but he is definitely top 10 at WW. It was probably smart that he didn't go to the UFC because he would probably never get a title shot just like Fitch and would be forced to fight on the undercard where as he is #1 without a doubt in EliteXC. I'd like to see him in the UFC though.

Completely. If Shields builds up ahuge Name for himself the UFC will be dying to sign him ot a good contract.

Fitch is like what 6-0 or 7-0 int he UFC. Nowhere near getting a title shot. Beat some very good fighters, ie Burkman and Luigi.

The UFC WW division is too deep right now. Shields would be another fish in the pond.

Why be a fish ina pond when you can bea shark ina ocean.
Scott_Revels
6/23/07 6:13:13AM
I saw the episode he fought on, for the Costa Rica season (I don't even know what season they are on, so i'm clueless as to when this fight was), but he got the win, rather quickly, and looked to dominate his opponent. I was hoping for a really good long fight, something that would allow me to see how really great he is, but he defeated the guy so quickly, I was barely even able to see it, it was so quick. Had I blinked, I would've missed it. I do agree with everyone's opinion, that he should be in the UFC, but he'd be a wasted talent, because he'd never get anywhere near the title as long as marketable names like Hughes, GSP, Koscheck, and Sanchez are near the top. Those four guys could trade the title around for years, and not have to defend it against anyone but themselves, which is sad, because guys like Parisyan, Fitch, and Shields if he was in the UFC, wouldn't get a shot. Had it not have been for TUF 4 giving him an automatic title shot, for winning, Serra would have never saw a title fight in the WW division, ever.
tapoutking28
6/27/07 8:36:59PM
Sam_Rothstein
10/19/07 5:03:45AM

Posted by kaduey

Jake Shields was supposed to fight Josh Neer in the UFC but he got injured and Nick Diaz (Jake's stablemate) stepped in and took care of Neer.

actually the fight was supposed to be thiago alves vs josh neer
Scott_Revels
10/19/07 4:42:31PM
Jake was just quoted last week, saying that he's tired of the easy competition, and that he's looking to fight better guys, and that he wants to go to the UFC, so i'm hoping that when his EliteXC deal is up, he'll join the UFC's WW division. I hope he has a fight before march of 08 in the UFC.
NatedawgThaM
10/19/07 6:17:14PM
I think He might actually sign with the WEC and beat on Condit maybe again just to get a title and stay there until the UFC WW title picture clears up and then come in and beat 2 or 3 big names and get that shot.

Waste of talent? NO...EliteXC is just keeps getting bigger and better but if I were Shields I'd goto WEC and beat on people I've already beaten and then jump to the UFC when deserved people finally get there shots and then jump there and make a run..
madmarck
10/20/07 10:09:23AM
He just beat Charuto a pretty dam good fighter.
And i believe that Shields stated after his current contract expires with everyone he wants to move to the UFC.
ohiostate1016
10/21/07 12:43:57PM
C'mon...you can't kill Shields for not being in the UFC. Contrary to popular belieft, there is talent in places other than the UFC. The talent may not be as deep, but there are other legit orgs other than the UFC. Maybe he feels he can't compete in the UFC at this point in his career. He eventually make it to the UFC. Don't kill him for things he can't always control. He has faced some top guys, and he has beat a lot of them. Look at his resume.

Fights against Jeremy Jackson (win), Mach Sakurai (win), Akira Kikuchi (win), Kaz Misaki (draw), Akira Kikuchi again (loss), Dave Menne (win), Yushin Okami (win), Carlos Condit (win). He has fought all these guys that are respectively in the top 15 in their division without ever stepping foot in a UFC cage. Imagine that!
cmill21
10/21/07 1:19:46PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

C'mon...you can't kill Shields for not being in the UFC. Contrary to popular belieft, there is talent in places other than the UFC. The talent may not be as deep, but there are other legit orgs other than the UFC. Maybe he feels he can't compete in the UFC at this point in his career. He eventually make it to the UFC. Don't kill him for things he can't always control. He has faced some top guys, and he has beat a lot of them. Look at his resume.

Fights against Jeremy Jackson (win), Mach Sakurai (win), Akira Kikuchi (win), Kaz Misaki (draw), Akira Kikuchi again (loss), Dave Menne (win), Yushin Okami (win), Carlos Condit (win). He has fought all these guys that are respectively in the top 15 in their division without ever stepping foot in a UFC cage. Imagine that!