Henderson Talks About Shot At Silva's Title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Henderson Talks About Shot At Silva's Title
CornishMMA
11/19/07 7:57:16AM
After the Ultimate Fighting Championship finished with its return show to New Jersey, UFC president Dana White announced a middleweight title match-up between champion Anderson Silva and the only Pride champion in that weight class, Dan Henderson. They will meet on March 1 in Columbus, Ohio.

Henderson won the first ever 183-pound division title in Pride by winning a Grand Prix tournament, but this will be the first test for him at this weight since returning to the Octagon.

LINK
CornishMMA
11/19/07 7:59:26AM
For me this fight is pretty much Fisher VS Edgar 2, maybe not as lop sided as that was but a very similar fight, Silva's takedown defence has got to be better than Fishers but he still wont be able to stop Hendos wrestling and im confident in us getting a new champ
icrazysob
11/19/07 8:22:05AM
Very torn on this fight ..I orginally thought if it happened , Henderson would walk through Silva..

But looking at Silva's striking recently , he looks unbeatable in a 5 round fight..just too many chances ..though Henderson hasn't been ko'd ..EVER

hard fight to predict, but I will go with new champ by dec
snakeplissken
11/19/07 9:57:16AM
Personally I don't think Hendo's head will be in the game as he's not happy about dropping down, so I say Silva takes another scalp and furthers the Legend of the Spider being the new Chuck Liddell.
Clevergato1
11/19/07 10:54:17AM
I like both fighters ,But the one weakness I think Anderson Silva has is his takedown defense, And Dan having his great wrestling I think there is going to be a great chance for a new champ. Which ever way it goes I wont be disapointed. but to be honest I'm kinda on the Hendo wagon cause I just met him about a month ago and he's a real cool down to earth guy.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
State_Champ
11/19/07 10:57:34AM
Whenever i watch Silva's fights in the UFC i always find myself in awe of him and his skills for about a day afertwards. I think that Henderson could beat silva, however, i think that silva will win when they fight just because he seems so determined and he's coming off some good wins.

(and i'm a little upset that henderson gets a Light heavy tittle shot and loses, and then immediately after that he gets a middle weight title shot. He should need a win or two before he gets the privilege of fighting for the belt)
atlas777
11/19/07 11:22:37AM
This fight is going to be awesome, this is one ive wanted to see since silva got the title in the ufc. This is going to be a war i cant wait to watch it. I hope Hendo wins.
The_hungry_lumberjack
11/19/07 11:45:42AM
The fight isnt really a "title shot" per say since he already ownes the pride belt. The fight needs to happen for the UFC to get rid of that belt (which I am sure they would love to do). It's not like he lost badly to mid ranked opponant and was forced to drop down, he put up a hell of a fight with rampage and showed that he is worthy of a #2 ranking in that devision. He's only really fighting to unify the belt for the UFC and to be the first person to give silva a true fight.
Kainlock
11/19/07 1:14:54PM
hopefully it lives up to the hype.
Darnok
11/19/07 1:28:48PM
this is going to be the fight of the year
icrazysob
11/19/07 3:05:10PM
I don't really see this fight as a fight of the year kinda fight unless Anderson gets a lot better at take down defense otherwise Hendo will try and gnp him out for 5 rounds
wrona666
11/19/07 3:17:30PM
I see this fight as being potentially boring unless Silva can keep it off the mat....If he can i see him winning the fight.....if he cant is see Hendo laying on him for five rounds...
jgtribbett
11/19/07 3:32:29PM

Posted by CornishMMA

After the Ultimate Fighting Championship finished with its return show to New Jersey, UFC president Dana White announced a middleweight title match-up between champion Anderson Silva and the only Pride champion in that weight class, Dan Henderson. They will meet on March 1 in Columbus, Ohio.

Henderson won the first ever 183-pound division title in Pride by winning a Grand Prix tournament, but this will be the first test for him at this weight since returning to the Octagon.

LINK

I'm excited to see this one.. I cannot wait
roman
11/19/07 4:24:48PM
I actually think Hendo will KO on the feet.

I know Silva is almost impossible to hit. But I see Hendo wearing him down with takedowns, GnP, overwhelming clinch (Silva will not get that plum on Dan trust me), and a none stop attack. In the fourth Silva won't be fresh and Hendo should have a more clear target, and thats where I see the KO coming from.

I don't think Silva will be able to KO Dan, just look at how hard he was peppered in his last to fights (guys with dynamite hands). I just can't see him losing unless he gets caugt in a sub, which is a very real possibilty.
bls1919
11/19/07 10:17:28PM
This is a great match up. i think hendo will win the fight anywat it goes. Standing, or on the ground. He proved his stand up in his fight against rampage. Silva is a bad man but it will go dans way.....and i have silva listed as my favorite fighter.
StriderXero
11/20/07 12:35:32AM
I like both these guys...
I like Hendo better though, not riding the band wagon, just like his character and how he keeps his composure in his fights. It's funny that Silva couldn't KO Chonan, with Silva being a better striker than Hendo. And Hendo ended up KOing Chonan in the first round.
Zekeil
11/20/07 9:57:18AM
Silva doesn't stand a chance against Hendo's wrestling. It might be a boring decision but Dan will be the new champ.
This fight will be alot like the Rampage fight except worse because Anderson doesn't have half the strength and wrestling skills that Page has.

Regardless it's still an appealing fight, and I want Hendo as champ anyway.

WAR Hendo!
Leland
11/20/07 1:39:43PM
I think Hendo has a great chance. Top notch wrestler, and I havent seen SIlva on his back in a good while, I think its time for a reality check for him Both fighters very respectable and good guys. Will be a fight worth watching!