Health Permitting, Brock vs. Cain Could Headline UFC 119

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Health Permitting, Brock vs. Cain Could Headline UFC 119
Next Page »
DCRage
7/5/10 10:30:01AM
UFC 119 could have a major championship headliner. Following his UFC 116 title-unification victory over interim champion Shane Carwin, undisputed heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar now could meet top contender Cain Velasquez in the main event of September's UFC 119 event. Prior to Saturday's event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Lesnar and Carwin both were told by UFC officials that the winner-health permitting-tentatively would meet Velasquez at UFC 119. Although not officially announced by the organization, UFC 119 takes place Sept. 25 at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. Lesnar's team and UFC officials are expected to discuss the possibility of the UFC 119 slot this week.

Article
sclasclemski
7/5/10 10:43:26AM
That would be sweet...nice to see a quick title turn around...especially since Cain has been down for so long.
prozacnation1978
7/5/10 10:57:31AM
I doubt it. I think more like oct or nov
CCPRIDE99
7/5/10 11:18:18AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

of next year. knowing brock
MisterFreeze
7/5/10 11:18:25AM
Hell Yes!! This is what I like to see, quick fighter turn arounds. I don't want to wait til next July to see Brock fight again...
And I realize nobody asked, but I think Brock is going to utterly crush Cain Velasquez!!
sclasclemski
7/5/10 11:23:16AM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Brock fought Randy 3 months after fighting Heath Herring.
bjj1605
7/5/10 11:28:25AM
Well that was quick... good.
DCRage
7/5/10 11:49:21AM
We should have a better idea in a couple days once the NSAC reveals the medical suspensions. But unless something needs to be x-rayed Brock probably won't get more than 45 days, which is mid-late August.
icantthinkofanything
7/5/10 1:00:18PM
Now if only champs would fight every 3 months, we could get some more great ppv's like 116. GSP does not need so much downtime to fight guys he is beating so easily. I know the ufc had lots of injuries, but I wanna see champs fight more than 1 0r 2 times. Any other fighter after 6 months would get ring rust, and their are so many ppv's that could use some champ fights. I cant imagine what will happen when 5 shows go on across the world simultaneously. The headliners will be, I won't diss anybody, but u get my drift hopefully
Jackelope
7/5/10 1:03:43PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Dude you can't fault the man for taking a long layoff when he almost died. Most other people would have taken much longer time to recover and they would have had every right to do so.
bjj1605
7/5/10 3:05:24PM
Cain is going to be all over Brock in this fight. Brock will be lucky if he gets knocked out or gasses bad enough to allow for a ref stoppage. If Brock survives he's in for 5 rounds of pounding and about 1,000 punches to the head. Cain won't gas and he'll be on Brock from bell to bell.
gsp69
7/5/10 3:08:36PM

sorry but i really think brock is 2 big and strong 4 cain, cain is 1 of my faves but just dont see him doin much with brock!
we now no that his chin is strong as his body aswel!

think brock will b ther 4 a while, til carwin can fix the cardio hole in his game anyway!
mrsmiley
7/5/10 3:17:47PM
Man I hope this is on for 119!
I'm not going to keep my hopes up though.
jlock003
7/5/10 4:13:42PM
This would be great! I am a big fan of the quick turn around also, although I can understand why fighters with injuries need additional time. I also understand how it could be difficult to give GSP or Anderson Silva a fight quickly after dismantaling another challenger as it takes some work to find/build up the next fighter. Cain fought just over 4 months ago so that's not a terribly long lay off either. I appreciate the Cain enthusiasm, but I've never been a bigger believer in Lesnar than now. I mean I always thought the guy could be really good, but he obviously has trained all around mma now, and a guy like Cain typically counts on his footwork, boxing, and wrestling to gas his opponent out. Brock might gas, but in the Herring fight he stayed pretty fresh throughout. The other issue is Cain will not be able to impose his will on Brock from a wrestling perspective which is what typically wears guys out that Cain fights. Rothwell, and Kongo both got exhausted b/c of the wrestling superiority of Cain. Not gonna happen with Lesnar. Cain's best shot in this fight is to use the foot work, stick and move, and stay off of the ground with the Champ. After last Saturday I may go Brock by go go plata in the first. (Sarcasm there...the sub part. I really do think Brock wins dominately).
postman
7/5/10 4:24:55PM
Had Carwin Picked his shots no one would be compelmenting Brocks Chin. The man Trurned away from punches Cain 2nd rd Ko
BlueSkiesBurn
7/5/10 4:56:24PM

Posted by bjj1605

Cain is going to be all over Brock in this fight. Brock will be lucky if he gets knocked out or gasses bad enough to allow for a ref stoppage. If Brock survives he's in for 5 rounds of pounding and about 1,000 punches to the head. Cain won't gas and he'll be on Brock from bell to bell.

I completely agree with you. This is Cain's fight to lose. As much as Brock evolved in his fight with Carwin, he showed the holes in his game. His stand-up is exactly what I have been saying it was, poor at best. His wrestling is easily neutralized by someone with a solid wrestling base. Here's the problem, Randy is prone to being knocked out and Carwin has the gas tank of a Hummer. Velasquez suffers from NONE of these problems. I truly see Velasquez being able to exploit these weaknesses of Lesnar.
gartface
7/5/10 6:59:01PM
Was it Cain that kept getting rocked by Kongo? Or am I thinking another fight?
BlueSkiesBurn
7/5/10 7:01:02PM
Yeah, but who won?
sclasclemski
7/5/10 7:14:55PM
because Kongo had zero ground game...I think brocks size will be the difference maker in this fight...I don't count KO'ing Big Nog at this stage of his carreer an indicator of enough power to take out brock...and Cain wont be able to fall back on his wrestling ...I think if Brock can continue to train with RAndy and work on his clinch game then he might be able to bully cain there.
lohmann
7/5/10 8:30:42PM
If I had a house, I'd bet it on Velasquez.

I find it silly that Lesnar's the early favorite here. Has everybody forgotten how terrible Carwin made Lesnar look Saturday?
BlueSkiesBurn
7/5/10 8:36:12PM
Not me....that's what I've been saying.
sclasclemski
7/5/10 8:46:36PM
But do you not agree that there is an obviously huge power difference between Cain and Shane?
BlueSkiesBurn
7/5/10 8:50:45PM
There's also a huge cardio difference, striking difference, age difference....
sclasclemski
7/5/10 9:27:37PM
We still don't know about Brock's cardio...he looked fine after taking that asswhooping...I don't think his age matters in this case due to his athleticism...and I think Cain's Striking advantage can be negated by Brock's size and proper use of the clinch/cage a la Randy Couture.
jlock003
7/5/10 9:30:12PM
Best I can tell Carwin is a much better striker. Cain has 1 KO...just 1 and it was a big right landing as Nog was coming over at the same time. As a matter of fact if you go back and watch the Kongo or the Rothwell match-ups Cain couldn't finish to save his life. I'll grant anybody who maintains that Cain is going to win that he is a beast when it comes to cardio and even footwork. His striking is better than Brock's but it's not better than Carwin's and it's definitely not as powerful as Carwin's. If Shane couldn't put him away Cain won't. Nobody in the mma world will stop a Lesnar takedown. Lesnar wins this fight by ground and pound.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/5/10 9:30:39PM
Much like I said, and was correct, that Brock wouldn't be able to outwrestle Carwin, Cain will not be thrown around by Brock, either. Brock has shown that he has problems with wrestlers. Cain is a very accomplished wrestler who's added some devastating kickboxing to his repertoire. I see this being Cain's fight to lose.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/5/10 9:33:39PM

Posted by jlock003

Best I can tell Carwin is a much better striker. Cain has 1 KO...just 1 and it was a big right landing as Nog was coming over at the same time. As a matter of fact if you go back and watch the Kongo or the Rothwell match-ups Cain couldn't finish to save his life. I'll grant anybody who maintains that Cain is going to win that he is a beast when it comes to cardio and even footwork. His striking is better than Brock's but it's not better than Carwin's and it's definitely not as powerful as Carwin's. If Shane couldn't put him away Cain won't. Nobody in the mma world will stop a Lesnar takedown. Lesnar wins this fight by ground and pound.

When Carwin wasn't gassed he stuffed Lesnar with relative ease. Lesnar looked completely outclassed by Carwin. If Carwin had the cardio there is no way in hell Lesnar was going to win that fight. You and I must have watched two different fights.
bjj1605
7/5/10 9:34:13PM
I think it's silly to say that Carwin has the better striking. He obviously has more power. But Cain has better foot work, technique, and speed. And it's not like he's going to be hitting Brock with pillows.
sclasclemski
7/5/10 9:36:49PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by jlock003

When Carwin wasn't gassed he stuffed Lesnar with relative ease. Lesnar looked completely outclassed by Carwin. If Carwin had the cardio there is no way in hell Lesnar was going to win that fight. You and I must have watched two different fights.

I 150% agree with you that if Shane had cardio he would be the HW champion right now...that aside...I still don't think Cain can beat Brock because he doesn't have the perfect storm of attributes that Carwin (sans Cardio) I hold steady to my belief that Cain doesn't have the power or size to beat Brock.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/5/10 9:43:09PM
Until Lesnar shows me that he's more than a one trick pony, I'm going to take the fighter with a better skill-set any day. Were this any other two fighters I highly doubt that anyone would be picking a straight up wrestler over a wrestler with superior stand-up. If we remove the names from these two fighters and look at their skill-sets it becomes clear that Cain should win this fight 99 times out of 100 on paper. The framework for beating Lesnar has been laid down. He's going to get exploited sooner rather than later. Lesnar, while he showed that he's evolved, showed just how bad he can look if you're able to stop his wrestling. Anyone who'd had a wrestling pedigree has had a large amount of success against Lesnar. Couture was easily winning that fight until his ability to take a punch reared its head. There's no question that Carwin was ahead 10-8. Cain doesn't suffer from the problems that Carwin and Couture have, why would I expect the results to be any different?
Pages: [1] 2