Hardy to face Condit or Kampmann at UFC 120

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Hardy to face Condit or Kampmann at UFC 120
POLL: Who do you want Hardy to face at 120?
Condit 38% (15)
Kampmann 62% (24)
BlueSkiesBurn
6/21/10 5:21:49AM
ESPN.co.uk understands that the UFC has narrowed down the shortlist for Dan Hardy's next opponent to just two names: Carlos Condit or Martin Kampmann.

Hardy is ready to return to the Octagon at UFC 120 in London following his March defeat to Georges St-Pierre, a fight that represented British MMA's first ever title shot. "The Outlaw" has taken time out following the unanimous decision defeat to recover from the draining process of being involved in a UFC main event, but now he is champing at the bit to put the loss behind him.

LINK

I for one would like to see Condit, what about you guys?
Pookie
6/21/10 5:57:05AM
I think he beats Condit on the feet in what would turn into a war.

However, i like the kampmann fight. It tests Kampmann's takedowns and ability to force it to the ground against a dangerous striker. Something he hasnt proven that he'll need to learn in order to make it to the top. I think Hardy is a great test for Kampmann, while also not necassarily being a big favorite himself.
lohmann
6/21/10 6:23:08AM
I would take Hardy over both. I think he would force everybody at welterweight to stand and trade except for GSP, Fitch, and Koscheck. Kampmann's successful ground game against Paulo Thiago seemed more reliant on finding dominant positions out of transitions and reversals and tripping an overaggressive Thiago stepping inside, not on traditional singles and doubles. I doubt Dan Hardy goes down like that.

I am surprised the UFC is looking to match Hardy up against one of two fighters that are on small but impressive winning streaks, with one possibly being at most two fights from a shot at a title.

A fight with Kampmann is riskier but has a much greater reward for both fighters. Hardy can really assert himself as a top five welterweight with a win over Kampmann, which would make him a perennial contender despite already losing to GSP.
ncordless
6/21/10 6:36:46AM

Posted by lohmann

I am surprised the UFC is looking to match Hardy up against one of two fighters that are on small but impressive winning streaks, with one possibly being at most two fights from a shot at a title.

A fight with Kampmann is riskier but has a much greater reward for both fighters. Hardy can really assert himself as a top five welterweight with a win over Kampmann, which would make him a perennial contender despite already losing to GSP.

I am surprised as well, but more because the UFC gains nothing from a Dan Hardy win against Kampmann. The last thing the UFC needs at 170 is another already beaten contender. They already have to avoid Fitch and Alves like the plague when trying to build up contenders, why make a match that would possibly put the last guy GSP beat back in line for the next title shot?

I do like both fights though and think Hardy takes both with Kampann being the closer fight.
whardin19
6/21/10 7:05:14AM
I'm pretty much set on Martin Kampmann fighting Dan Hardy. I think it's the better matchup. Carlos needs another fight against a solid guy before he moves that far up in competition. He was getting destroyed by Rory McDonald until the last round. It would be worse against Hardy.
AchillesHeel
6/21/10 9:01:09AM
Am I the only one who doesn't care one way or the other about Dan Hardy? Don't like him. Don't dislike him. Big "meh" for me, either way. I want to see Condit vs. Kampmann II.
Pookie
6/21/10 9:15:01AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Am I the only one who doesn't care one way or the other about Dan Hardy? Don't like him. Don't dislike him. Big "meh" for me, either way. I want to see Condit vs. Kampmann II.

I like him for the fact that he provides a nice counterpoint to Thiago Alves. He's a Dangerous striker whos dangerous where Alves isn't, and weaker in the area's where Alves is dangerous. The division is almost entirely full of wrestlers and sprawl and brawlers, so i like it when a striker comes into that mix. It adds in another x-factor you can throw at the up and comers to see if they're ready.
prozacnation1978
6/21/10 9:26:23AM
I honestly don't mind either guy
Seems kammpman called him out already
I think hardy can beat both those guys. Give the other guy jake shields or kim
Giant_Ochai
6/21/10 9:36:07AM
This thread has overrated Dan Hardy to the point of physical illness. Condit or Kampmann should have a relatively easy fight against Hardy.
icantthinkofanything
6/21/10 9:37:33AM
I think Kampman is the more challenging fight for Hardy. Don young kim is another challenge for Hardy, but I think Kampman is a more exciting matchup cause he will stand also. To fight GSP one should have to beat 2 of the 3 (fitch, alves, kos). Fitch will prolly get the next shot. Either guy should have to fight Fitch and or Alves/Kos to get a title shot. If no one can beat 2 of those 3, tuf ish, they wont beat GSP either .
BigIP
6/21/10 9:47:39AM
I think the UFC is setting up both Condit and Kampmann for a title shot with a win over Hardy. The problem is what if they lose? I think Kampmann has the better chance of beating Hardy. Why not have them fight each other for a title shot?
AchillesHeel
6/21/10 9:48:46AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by AchillesHeel

I like him for the fact that he provides a nice counterpoint to Thiago Alves. He's a Dangerous striker whos dangerous where Alves isn't, and weaker in the area's where Alves is dangerous. The division is almost entirely full of wrestlers and sprawl and brawlers, so i like it when a striker comes into that mix. It adds in another x-factor you can throw at the up and comers to see if they're ready.

I actually think either of these potential matchups does more for Hardy than it does for Condit or Kampmann. They're both good grapplers but not as good as GSP, and would therefore be a good test for Hardy, who has presumably been working on his grappling. Hardy made too big a jump, imo, from Gono, Markham, Davis and Swick, to GSP.
JSmooth1da
6/21/10 9:53:55AM
With Hardy coming off a recent shot at the title I think Kampmann gets the nod for being that much closer than Condit. All 3 of these guys fighting each other would be good fights.
bjj1605
6/21/10 11:43:48AM

Posted by Pookie

I think he beats Condit on the feet in what would turn into a war.

However, i like the kampmann fight. It tests Kampmann's takedowns and ability to force it to the ground against a dangerous striker. Something he hasnt proven that he'll need to learn in order to make it to the top. I think Hardy is a great test for Kampmann, while also not necassarily being a big favorite himself.

Kampmann proved this back at MW vs Drew McFedries, IMO.

But I would pick either of these two fighters over Dan Hardy. He is the most overrated fighter in the division. His wrestling is bellow average. His submission game is practically non-existent. And his striking is only good, not great.

I'm confident that he'll be exposed.
Rush
6/22/10 10:26:34AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I pretty much feel the same way.

In regards to Kampmann and Condit moving up in competition, I really don't see it happening. Both are pretty good, but I don't see them beating the top guys and only earning a title shot under unexpected circumstances.
Jride
6/22/10 5:23:39PM
I rather see Hardy vs Paulo Thiago
hammerhead1
7/5/10 12:19:13PM
Condit would crush em so Condit Hardy is cocky and got handed to him by gsp and hopefully condit