GSP

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » GSP
POLL: Is GSP's newly adopted wrestling...
great for mma. 16% (7)
set mma back 5 years. 9% (4)
a good style for him. 16% (7)
"self preservation" . 11% (5)
really an issue? 25% (11)
scary! 23% (10)
submissionartist1
9/23/09 2:25:05AM
I think its GSP self preservation, not trying to take anything away from him. I think he has some self doubt since being ko'ed. He is a much better striker then he's been showing lately. maybe not adopted,cause he always was a good wrestler but it he has gotten so much better!

grappler0000
9/23/09 2:48:49AM
Are we talking about his abilities or tendencies?
mentalcase
9/23/09 2:57:50AM
so what, gsp doesn't trade much on his feet since the serra loss and always looks to take the fight to the ground now and G&P his way to victory

that's his fighting style now saying hes setting the sport back 5 years is stupid and doesn't make any sense
NeaRMisS
9/23/09 4:29:18AM
He does what he needs to do to win. Thats all that matters.
Rush
9/23/09 7:20:52AM

Posted by mentalcase

so what, gsp doesn't trade much on his feet since the serra loss and always looks to take the fight to the ground now and G&P his way to victory

While I agree with the second point, I don't agree with the first point. I recall him trading quite a bit since the Serra loss (save Koscheck). That's how he gets the takedown so frequently. He sets them up with effective standup.

On a separate note, the only way a fighter can set MMA back 5 years, is by enforcing negative stereotypes about MMA fighters (outside the ring).
State_Champ
9/23/09 8:09:20AM
GSP's wrestling is so good that to me he looks like he isn't aware that he's in an MMA match, he thinks he just supposed to take his opponent down. In his fight against Thiago Alves he did throw some leather but he still almost totally relied on his wrestling. His wrestling is so dominant that it sometimes bores me to watch because there's no competition.
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/23/09 9:30:22AM
who the hell answered he set mma back 5 years?!?! haters...
emfleek
9/23/09 9:52:00AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

who the hell answered he set mma back 5 years?!?! haters...

Exactly. Cowards who won't explain themselves...
AchillesHeel
9/23/09 11:32:44AM
I'm not sure I understand the question.

p.s. What about GSP's wrestling is "newly adopted"? I'm so confused...
ocho-cinco
9/23/09 2:36:41PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

cj_striker
9/23/09 3:52:17PM
We have already went through this in a way with Machida, so GSP's new style might not be the most exciting but it is the most effective and who are we to say that he shouldn't fight a certain way because it's not as entertaining.
JimiMak
9/23/09 5:39:33PM

Posted by ocho-cinco

Posted by AchillesHeel

+ juan

who cares, he's boring
Sinister
9/23/09 7:52:25PM
This is very confusing. GSP almost always had good wrestling last I checked. Just cause past fights he has gone to the gorund sometimes doesnt mean its a "new wrestling ability:"
He went to the ground with Alves cause Alves was one dimensional and fighting to his strengths (Muay Thai) would be stupid. The Serra fight was more about constantly cahnging levels to wear out Serra. The Penn fight, he clinched to make blood flow to his shoulders to make his boxing less effective so he could go in for the takedown.
I dont remember many fights Pierre didnt use his wrestling. Even before he was champ he used it/
prozacnation1978
9/23/09 10:26:28PM
i say this gsp has pretty much cleaned out the division
now is a better time than ever to have gsp be a coach on tuf 11 next year
i say if hardy does win in nov have hardy as the other coach

or

gsp fight swick, but the whole hype wouldn't be there, it would be like silva facing leites
CanadianCripplr
9/24/09 2:42:05AM
I never thought he was boring. Ill tell you I was pretty entertained everytime he landed a blow to BJs head. That fight laft me feeling more satisfied I got my moneys worth than any I remember. I just wanted 1 more round of the beating....