Greatest NES game competition.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Greatest NES game competition.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/18/10 8:17:46PM
I had to edit this post since people keep encouraging me to include other games so please read completely.

I have been playing a lot of old school NES games lately and thought I'd hold a bracket competition to see what people thought was the greatest game off all time.

I will initially start out with 16 of the top games and, upon the completion of this round of 16, I will post the next 16. Votes will be tallied after each round and the elimination process will continue until a winner is crowned. It will be done in a pool format. This round is pool A: the first 16. The winners of this round will square off against the winners of the next 16.

If you have games you would like to see in the next rounds, PM and the ones that receive the most amount of suggestions will be included.

Round 1

Super Mario 3 vs. Super Mario 1

Legend of Zelda vs. Contra

Metroid vs. Metal Gear

Mega Man 2 vs. Ninja Gaiden

Final Fantasy vs. Ultima

TMNT 2:The Arcade Game vs. Battle Toads and Double Dragon

Excitebike vs. Tecmo Bowl

Castlevania vs. Super C

vs.

vs

vs

vs

vs

vs

vs

vs
grappler0000
5/18/10 8:24:19PM
I don't know if you're looking for a single game response, but here's some of my favorites that I listed in a previous NES game thread:

Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Metroid
Legend of Zelda
Contra
Blades of Steel
Tecmo Bowl
Gauntlet
RC Pro-Am
BelXavier420
5/18/10 8:26:57PM
You have all my favorites except Blades of Steel, Double Dragon and Mike Tyson Punch out. My Favorite is probably Tecmo Bowl, Bo Jackson was the shiznit in that game
BlueSkiesBurn
5/18/10 8:29:05PM
This is just a tournament style NES game competition. More will be added. I'm just doing a round of 16 to start. Votes will counted based on the amount each receives against its opposition.
zxandu
5/18/10 8:30:42PM
If you are old enough to remember playing any of these games when they came out, your either old enough to drink, or well started on the tail spin of alcoholism.

Mario 3
Metroid
Zelda
Final Fantasy
Rock/Mega Man
Ninja Tutles
Excite Bike
and Castlevania.

grappler0000
5/18/10 8:43:27PM
Ah, OK...my votes:

Super Mario 1
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Final Fantasy
TMNT 2:The Arcade Game
Excitebike
Castlevania
CwB
5/18/10 8:45:21PM
this is like picking your favorite child its impossible...
seriously which is better Mario 1 or 3 I love them both equally in different ways.

Mario
Mega Man
Tecmo Bowl

those all tie for 1st the rest are all in a close second.

Good list. (although i've never heard of Ultima)
lohmann
5/18/10 8:50:31PM

Metroid vs. Metal Gear

Final Fantasy vs. Ultima

Castlevania vs. Super C

(Bolded ones denote which I voted for.)
BlueSkiesBurn
5/18/10 9:00:06PM
Life is filled with tough choices, CwB. Gotta make them. It's just a competition to see who moves on, not an indicator of a lesser game.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/18/10 9:02:18PM
Incidentally, my votes are as follows.

Super Mario 1
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Mega Man 2
Ultima
TMNT 2: The Arcade Game
Excitebike
Castlevania
BelXavier420
5/18/10 9:20:18PM
Gotta add Mike Tyson Punch out after all this is a fight forums. Of the list I pick
Mario 3
Contra
Ninja Gaiden
Ultima
Double Dragon
**** I gotta pick between excite bike and Tecmo Bowl, hard choice I played Excite Bike much more when younger but now a days Tecmo Bowl is much more fun so I go with TB
Castlevania ( what a awesome game)
sclasclemski
5/18/10 9:55:31PM
I think Punch Out needs to be on there as well as Tecmo Super Bowl(which I think was better then the orignal)

but to give my votes:
Mario 3
Legend of Zelda(tough ne)
Metroid (never played metal gear)
Mega Man 2 (loved Ninja Gaiden too but was so damn hard couldn't beat it)
Final Fantasy( never played Ultima, always wanted to, love Final Fantasy actually recently downloaded it on my cell and have been playing it)
TMNT2(never played the other either but the 2nd turle game was so awesome I dont see how it could have been better.)
Excitebike(see top)
Castlevania(though I think the 2nd one was better)
sclasclemski
5/18/10 9:58:22PM
oh yeah and Dragon Warrior, River City Ransom, Tetris, and Dr. MArio
kopower
5/18/10 11:57:56PM
It's like all the favorites are already matching up in the first round.

If I have to pick:
Super Mario 1
Contra
Metroid
Mega Man 2
Tecmo Bowl
Super C
Turtles 2

Never played Final Fantasy or Ultima

What about 1942 or 43
Rush
5/19/10 12:47:13AM

Super Mario 3
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Mega Man 2
Final Fantasy
TMNT 2:The Arcade Game
Excitebike
Castlevania
BlueSkiesBurn
5/19/10 12:51:57AM
Again, for those who haven't seen what I am doing. I am just taking the results of this round and a new 16 will be posted. I am trying to match-up games that are similar in style. Other games like Tetris, RC Pro Am, Punch-Out, etc..will be included when I post the next 16 I just didn't want to blow our load on the first go around. Some people have already had trouble picking off this first list so I didn't want to make it too difficult to choose. I wanted to have a couple tough choices and some that would be preference. If I had put the games people are mentioning I left out on this list ALL the greatest games would have been in the first 16. I wanted to spread out the goodness. I don't want to have a bunch of #1 seeds in the first bracket of 16.
jae_1833
5/19/10 1:02:29AM
Mario3
Zelda
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Final Fantasy
Double Dragon/Battle Toads
Tecmo Bowl
Castlevania
I based my decisions on those I remember playing the most......Zelda, Castlevania, Tecmo Bowl.....I played those for a LONG time!!
HulkRage
5/19/10 4:53:40AM
Super Mario Bro 3 vs. SMB = SMB3
Zelda vs. Contra = Contra (Contra -easy game, but it kicked ass) Turbo Spray
metroid vs metal gear = metroid
MM2 vs Ninja = MM2
Final Fantasy vs. Ultima = FF (tough call, they both are great RP games)
TMNT vs. DD and Toads = TMNT
bike vs. bowl = bike
Castlevania vs. Super Contra = Super Contra

Great list maybe add
Kirby
Wizards and Warriors
Dragon Warrior
sclasclemski
5/19/10 5:50:00AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Again, for those who haven't seen what I am doing. I am just taking the results of this round and a new 16 will be posted. I am trying to match-up games that are similar in style. Other games like Tetris, RC Pro Am, Punch-Out, etc..will be included when I post the next 16 I just didn't want to blow our load on the first go around. Some people have already had trouble picking off this first list so I didn't want to make it too difficult to choose. I wanted to have a couple tough choices and some that would be preference. If I had put the games people are mentioning I left out on this list ALL the greatest games would have been in the first 16. I wanted to spread out the goodness. I don't want to have a bunch of #1 seeds in the first bracket of 16.

Sorry didn't pick up on the fact that you were definitely doing more brackets....I thought it was just a wait and see thing....good thread though
BlueSkiesBurn
5/19/10 6:19:29AM
That was more my fault than anything. I should have made it clearer in the initial post. I edited the initial post to say basically what you just quoted. As a child of the 80's I could never leave Punch-Out, RC Pro Am, Paperboy, Tetris, Dr. Mario, etc..off a comprehensive list. I just want to see how this pans out and if people participate. That's why I rocked the first sixteen and if we only had minimal responses then I'd break it down from 16. If a bunch responded then I was gonna add more games.
cowcatcher
5/19/10 8:48:15AM
super mario 3 - man this game was such a step up from the first two, just classic
zelda - the cheat for contra was great, but i could play zelda any time
metroid - hands down
ninja gaiden - tough one here but ninja gaiden got more play in my house
ultima - another close one
TMNT2 - awesome in the arcade, just ok on the NES but still beats BT and DD
tecmo bowl - lost a ton of hours to this one
castlevania - hands down
emfleek
5/19/10 9:08:40AM
Wow...I can' t believe no one mentioned this...

emfleek
5/19/10 9:11:46AM
Metroid vs. Metal Gear
Final Fantasy vs. Ultima
Castlevania vs. Super C

One should not have to decide between Excitebike and Tecmo Bowl.

BlueSkiesBurn
5/19/10 1:51:54PM
Well, they both can't win.
emfleek
5/19/10 1:54:03PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Well, they both can't win.

Very true, but you could have left off Castlevania and Battle Toads and Double Dragon. They both sucked.

BlueSkiesBurn
5/19/10 2:29:15PM
Well, in the round of the next 16 I'll be sure to put Skate or Die up against something epic just to mess with you for saying Castlevania sucked.
emfleek
5/19/10 2:37:48PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Well, in the round of the next 16 I'll be sure to put Skate or Die up against something epic just to mess with you for saying Castlevania sucked.

Do it. Do it.
Rush
5/22/10 11:34:13AM
Now you don't have to choose

I present Super Mario Crossover

I also recommend looking at some other games on the site.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/22/10 5:57:39PM
That is unbelievably awesome. Major

I'm still gonna make people choose, though.