Gilbert Melendez: “I Really Truly Believe I’m the No. 1 Fighter in the World”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gilbert Melendez: “I Really Truly Believe I’m the No. 1 Fighter in the World”
pmoney
2/14/11 7:08:15PM
Now that he has a new contract in place, Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez is ready to get back to the business of fighting, and he’s ready to prove he’s the top 155-pounder in the world.

Melendez hasn’t set foot in the cage in nearly a year following his win over Shinya Aoki last April. Since that time, Melendez welcomed a new baby into the world and recovered from a thumb injury, but now he’s healthy and ready to dominate again.

Article
Bloodhound
2/14/11 8:13:12PM
if you believe that maker Coker said up the Alvarez fight
Aether
2/14/11 8:21:06PM
I really truly believe that he is not the #1 fighter in the world.

Gilbert is definitely a good fighter, and has to be in the top 10, but let's be realistic, if you want to be ranked #1 in this day and age of MMA, you have to compete in the UFC. The PRIDE days are done, there isn't another organization that has an overall level of talent approaching the UFC's. There are some top fighters here and there in strikeforce, but at this point I don't feel like it's possible to hold a #1 rank without doing it inside of the octagon. You might be able to get up toward the top 10 or possibly even top 5, but you can't be #1 without having proven yourself against the current top guys in the UFC's divisions IMO.
sbulldavid
2/14/11 8:45:28PM
I think very highly of Gilbert, but I think he's got a lot to prove. I think he's capable of beating anybody on a good night, but 155 is a tough and improving division elsewhere but Strikeforce does not have enough depth.
TeamDEY
2/14/11 9:32:05PM
Dude hows he not??? Who has Anderson, Edgar, Aldo, Shogun, St. Pierre, or Penn beat? Gilbert Melendez BEAT Shinya Aoki!!........yea i don't get it either.....or Fedor
Twenty20Dollars
2/15/11 1:50:12AM
The world is as you see it.
StriderXero
2/15/11 8:55:12AM
it's one thing to truly believe you are number 1, but it's another thing to actually be number 1.

I dont think Gil is Number 1, but i think he can give most guys in the top 5 problems
gartface
2/15/11 8:58:01AM
Yeah....about that....
prozacnation1978
2/15/11 8:13:02PM
He is not even the number one lightweight in the world
tcunningham
2/16/11 2:01:12AM
whatever gives him confidence. hes without a doubt not the #1 fighter or the #1 LW.
Jride
2/16/11 9:56:25PM
#1 Gilbert Melendez
#2 Shinya Aoki
#3 Eddie Alvarez.

The best LW's are outside the UFC right now. Plain and simple.
BigBadAl
2/17/11 10:28:12AM

Posted by Jride

#1 Gilbert Melendez
#2 Shinya Aoki
#3 Eddie Alvarez.

The best LW's are outside the UFC right now. Plain and simple.

I hope that was sarcasm.
emfleek
2/17/11 10:56:22AM