Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz set for UFC 137 in Las Vegas

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz set for UFC 137 in Las Vegas
Next Page »
pmoney
6/1/11 6:27:26PM
The hurdles have apparently been cleared.

Despite his recent insistence that a bout between current UFC champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) and Strikeforce title holder Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) was anything but a done deal, UFC president Dana White today announced the two welterweights will clash in the main event of the previously unannounced UFC 137 event.

Article

Edit: Diaz's manager, Cesar Gracie, did tell USA Today that the St-Pierre fight is part of a new eight-fight contract for Diaz that allows the current Strikeforce champ to compete in both Strikeforce and the UFC
FastKnockout
6/1/11 6:31:03PM
YEEEEEESSS!!!

Well, Mr. Diaz. It appears that St. Pierre wasn't avoiding you after all, and now you have the chance to step up to everything you've said in the past. Good luck, you'll need it.
KungFuMaster
6/1/11 6:31:24PM
You guys are playing with my emotions here...
Budgellism
6/1/11 6:32:07PM

Posted by FastKnockout

YEEEEEESSS!!!

Well, Mr. Diaz. It appears that St. Pierre wasn't avoiding you after all, and now you have the chance to step up to everything you've said in the past. Good luck, you'll need it.

Just heard this on the radio. Nice. Gsp by decision.
pmoney
6/1/11 6:35:07PM
Oh hell yes!!!

When Diaz wins, you can expect a lot of fanboy nuthugging coming from this direction!
FastKnockout
6/1/11 6:36:54PM

Posted by pmoney

Oh hell yes!!!

When Diaz wins, you can expect a lot of fanboy nuthugging coming from this direction!

Of course. haha!
Budgellism
6/1/11 6:40:39PM

Posted by pmoney

Oh hell yes!!!

lol. Not even going to say anything.
BeeR
6/1/11 6:44:46PM
pmoney
6/1/11 6:56:34PM
haha, Budge, FastKO, you guys know you love it!

Honestly, as much as I back Diaz.... I never really thought there was a chance there until I saw GSP-Shields. And I know GSP is going to work a different gameplan here, but man.... Diaz is a legit threat! People say he's not because of the lack of TDD, but his subs are good, his standup is good..... This is very, very interesting.

Plus, even if he does win this fight, I don't know how long he could hold on to the belt. In my fantasy land, Nick becomes the 170 champ, Nate gets the 155 belt, and I beat Anderson for the Middleweight strap, and we're rolling doobies on private jets lol
ajp10k
6/1/11 6:57:40PM
Will GSP wrestle him to the ground and face Nick's bjj game? Or will he stand up and trade agenst Nick's boxing? I guess we will have to wait until october.
Kpro
6/1/11 7:02:00PM
This is the most exciting thing MMA-wise, for me personally, that I've heard in years. Diaz has a way to make someone look like they've never looked against anyone else and I've wanted this match-up for longer than I can remember.

I may have to plan a Vegas trip.
Chael_Sonnen
6/1/11 7:03:24PM
Diaz via 3rd round TKO

Nighty-nite Georgey
FlashyG
6/1/11 7:11:42PM
Diaz hasn't faced a wrestler since he left the UFC so we'll see if he's improved his takedown defence.

His boxing has come a long way though, maybe he can catch GSP before he gets taken down.

It wouldn't be as shocking as Serra beating GSP but it would be a pretty big surprise to see Nick take the WW strap from him.
Cooler
6/1/11 8:48:38PM
Finally a WW title fight to get excited about.

Diaz all day.
jay98107
6/1/11 9:33:00PM
What a huge announcement. Even though many will assume GSPs domination, I haven't been this excited for a fight in a long time.
bjj1605
6/1/11 10:38:40PM
GSP has the obvious advantage in wrestling, but it will be picking his poison. Does he want to face the world class boxing of Diaz or the champion level jiu jitsu game?

Personally I feel he has a much better chance on the ground considering his strength and wrestling base. I'd go as far to say that there is no way GSP finishes this fight. If he wins it'll be a UD. I could see Diaz walking away with a sub or a KO.
pmoney
6/1/11 11:06:31PM

Posted by bjj1605

GSP has the obvious advantage in wrestling, but it will be picking his poison. Does he want to face the world class boxing of Diaz or the champion level jiu jitsu game?

Personally I feel he has a much better chance on the ground considering his strength and wrestling base. I'd go as far to say that there is no way GSP finishes this fight. If he wins it'll be a UD. I could see Diaz walking away with a sub or a KO.

Good post sir! I must say, this made me think a bit....

The way I read in to your post, it made me think that you were implying that GSP's only chance at winning this "fight", would be to out wrestle him. To be fair, that's how I read into it, not what you expressly stated. However, I feel that wrestling would be GSP's best chance to win.

Now, wrestling is not fighting. It is one aspect of mixed martial arts, and imposing your will on your opponent. Having a strong wrestling base helps you determine where the fight will go: If you want to stand and trade strikes, or if you want to take it to the ground. Maybe work some subs, or a ground and pound stoppage.

This made me think... I haven't seen many stand-ups by the referees lately. Did they forget that "fighting" is in the unified MMA rules? You're not really fighting if you are just controlling someone from the top, not threatening with strikes or submissions. You are plain old wrestling. And MMA is not wrestling, nor should it ever be.

I've said it a million times, you can't wrestle someone to death. GSP should never be afforded the chance to wrestle someone for five rounds. Sure, wrestling has all of the practical, real world skills you could need. But this is the Ultimate Fighting Championship, not the World's Best Wrestler or Ultimate Takedown League or Ultimate Stopping a Fight From Breaking Out Championships.
FlashyG
6/1/11 11:25:02PM

Posted by bjj1605

I agree for the most part, but I don't see GSP taking Diaz down other than to score some points.

I don't think he'll want to spend much time in Diaz guard so he'll be peppering him with the same jab that wrecked Koschecks face. I know Diaz had surgery to repair the scar tissue problem around his eyes but he's still had quite a few cuts since then and GSP's jab tends to make a mess of its target.

I could see him winning by TKO due to cuts but more than likely if it finishes before the final bell it will be Diaz going home happy.

What I like most about GSP and Jackson's camp is how they gameplan for specific opponents, I'm very interested to see which poison they choose with Diaz.
prozacnation1978
6/1/11 11:28:56PM
I cancelled trip to houston and ufc expo
Booked hotel and flight to vegas for this instead
Should be a war!!! God I hope those two stay injury free till then
bjj1605
6/2/11 12:12:43AM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by bjj1605

Good post sir! I must say, this made me think a bit....

The way I read in to your post, it made me think that you were implying that GSP's only chance at winning this "fight", would be to out wrestle him. To be fair, that's how I read into it, not what you expressly stated. However, I feel that wrestling would be GSP's best chance to win.

Now, wrestling is not fighting. It is one aspect of mixed martial arts, and imposing your will on your opponent. Having a strong wrestling base helps you determine where the fight will go: If you want to stand and trade strikes, or if you want to take it to the ground. Maybe work some subs, or a ground and pound stoppage.

This made me think... I haven't seen many stand-ups by the referees lately. Did they forget that "fighting" is in the unified MMA rules? You're not really fighting if you are just controlling someone from the top, not threatening with strikes or submissions. You are plain old wrestling. And MMA is not wrestling, nor should it ever be.

I've said it a million times, you can't wrestle someone to death. GSP should never be afforded the chance to wrestle someone for five rounds. Sure, wrestling has all of the practical, real world skills you could need. But this is the Ultimate Fighting Championship, not the World's Best Wrestler or Ultimate Takedown League or Ultimate Stopping a Fight From Breaking Out Championships.

You're not making a stretch. Thats basically what I was getting at. I can see GSP pushing him into the cage a lot. Going for takedowns when its safe. Standing up at the first sign of trouble. Making limited engagements on the feet. Basically avoiding the "fight" part of the fight. It doesn't have to be just wrestling though. He could run around for 25 minutes because he's faster than Diaz (with his feet, not his hands). As long as he presses him into the cage and scores a couple of takedowns the judges will give it to him.

If he fights Diaz, as in actually engages and attempts to finish. He will most certainly lose. There's no way he can hang in the pocket with him or survive a lively grappling exchange.
xtra_chewy
6/2/11 12:44:21AM

I can finally use one of these.....

I pray to lord Xenu that this happens and nothing gets in the way.....
Pookie
6/2/11 3:17:40AM
Nick Diaz is going to come out and do his thing. Because of the high-volume style he has, Georges will most certainly take him down early and easily.

I think Georges Game-plan is going to be the exact same thing as the hardy fight. He wrestles strikers, and strikes wrestlers. When he fights Bjj guys, he wrestles them tired(i doubt he tires Diaz) before he strikes with them.

Georges is very predictable with his strategies. His tactics vary, but his strategies are very easy to predict pre-fight.
emfleek
6/2/11 8:39:50AM
I can hear the excuses coming from Diaz already...
Bubbles
6/2/11 11:36:09AM
i can see GSP implementing a clinch game with a lot of dirty boxing and TDs. he wont sub Diaz, so i expect some gnp if/when the fight hits the ground. i can also see Georges shooting a single or double leg and end up in half guard where Diaz is much less of a threat, stay there and pound away.

Diaz is near impossible to finish so i see this as a decisive decision win
Hendo67
6/2/11 1:39:54PM
Man, words cannot describe how loud i'm going to be cheering for Nick Diaz, even though deep down i think GSP will take him to another UD.
Jekyll
6/2/11 1:51:10PM
Out of all the WWs out there Diaz will prove the best contest for GSP. GSP is a better fighter overall but Diaz has a way of annyoing his opponents. He will never ever stop going after GSP which is something GSP has never really faced. Also Diaz's standup will five GSP alot of pause GSP does not like getting hit so i do not see his Jab working well on diaz who throws punches constantly and has a chin too hard for GSP to crack.

However on the ground Diaz might be the better BJJ practitioner but as we have seen in recent times a small amount of BJJ defense can neutralize even the top level BJJ guys on their back.

If Diaz is going to win this he needs to keep it standing, i don't think he can win on the ground with GSP, GSP also does not have the greatest of chins, atleast nothing compared to Diaz. Diaz will be able to pretty much shrug off any GSP strike where GSP will have to contantly be careful of Diaz's strikes. That alone can make it hard for GSP to setup a solid shot to take it to the ground.

IMO if GSP is to ever lose his belt again it will be to Diaz, and if Diaz wins my guess is 3rd round TKO/KO. if GSP wins it will be a 5 round UD with mostly a LnP performance...

On a side note, if Diaz does win he will never defend becasue they will give fitch the next shot who will LnP to win and then GSP will take it back by beating Fitch where ever he wants to.
FlashyG
6/2/11 4:02:04PM

Posted by Jekyll
On a side note, if Diaz does win he will never defend becasue they will give fitch the next shot who will LnP to win and then GSP will take it back by beating Fitch where ever he wants to.

If you think Fitch can and will just lay on Diaz to take away any title he should win from GSP why would you assume GSP wouldn't be able to do the same?

He's shown already he has far superior wrestling to Fitch's, superior striking as well.

I think if Diaz can handle GSP's wrestling there is nobody in the WW division who would be comfortable trying to lay on him for a victory.
Jekyll
6/2/11 5:05:16PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Jekyll

If you think Fitch can and will just lay on Diaz to take away any title he should win from GSP why would you assume GSP wouldn't be able to do the same?

He's shown already he has far superior wrestling to Fitch's, superior striking as well.

I think if Diaz can handle GSP's wrestling there is nobody in the WW division who would be comfortable trying to lay on him for a victory.

GSP certainly can LnP on Diaz, but that does not mean he will. Fitch does not seem to know how to do anything else.
slickuc
6/3/11 3:59:19PM
I think Diaz is not even close to Piers level i think he should fight guys in strickforce, ufc guys r out of his class. His brother should be in strickforce to secondary fighters should be in strickforce like them.
slickuc
6/3/11 4:08:45PM
Diaz what joke he's not even close to the leage of st-Pierre who has Diaz fought come on ufc keep him and his brother in strickforce your second level guys bad for ufc same goes for Shields>
Pages: [1] 2