Fights you would've never guessed the correct ending to

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Fights you would've never guessed the correct ending to
Next Page »
Kpro
10/10/11 9:12:10PM
And it can be any promotion, not just UFC, I just don't want to post in the Lounge because the thread would get buried.

Not fights you would've never guessed the winner, but regardless of winner, fights you would've never picked the correct ending to. Gonzaga vs. Cro Cop fits just being that it was a head kick KO.

I was just thinking about the Kimbo vs. Houston Alexander fight and I never would've picked a Decision on that. I didn't think there was even a halfway decent chance it'd make it to the end of the 1st.

Kevin Burns triangling Roan Carneiro is another. Their ground games were on such different levels I would've never picked the at-the-time unknown Burns to make Carneiro tap.

Others?
Budgellism
10/10/11 9:41:50PM
Edgar knocking out Maynard
Obviously Gonzaga knocking out Cro Cop
Big Nog knocking out Schaub
Stann triangling Massenzio
Russow knocking out Duffee
Twenty20Dollars
10/10/11 9:43:28PM
Ortiz's submission win over Bader
Kpro
10/10/11 10:00:47PM
Takaya KO'ing Hellboy. Takaya is a striker, but Hellboy had never been KO'd and he'd faced the best of the best. If anything, I thought a decision was Takaya's only path to victory.

Tito vs. Bader, Tito hadn't won by a submission hold in over 14 years. Even the minority that thought he'd win must've had a decision or some ground and pound to a TKO.
Kpro
10/10/11 10:01:47PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

beat me to it. somehow by 17 minutes and I still didn't see it
kopower
10/10/11 10:04:52PM
Lauzon ko'ing Pulver.

Goulet fighting for 3 rounds without getting ko'd.

Mackens Semerzier subbing Wagney Fabiano in the 1st round.
Kpro
10/10/11 10:12:47PM

Posted by kopower

Goulet fighting for 3 rounds without getting ko'd.

Proof or GTFO

Twenty20Dollars
10/10/11 10:26:14PM

Posted by Kpro

beat me to it. somehow by 17 minutes and I still didn't see it

haha

Posted by kopower

Mackens Semerzier subbing Wagney Fabiano in the 1st round.

You and Frank Mir on this one.
FastKnockout
10/10/11 10:59:15PM
Lesnar submitting Carwin.
jiujitsufreak74
10/10/11 11:07:18PM
all of these are great and i was about ot post a lot of them myself. here are some other one i think fit the bill:

*Potential finish*- i first want to point out that if Mark Hunt submitted Rothwell with an armbar it would be at the top of everyone's life forever...perhaps equal to GG vs CC

Saunders submitting Santos - Bellator 53 (i just thought that fight would be a striking war, and Santos is a BB so it was a shock he got subbed)

Herman heel hooking Noke - UFC Hardy vs Lytle...i just didn't think Herman could land a leg lock on Noke, or submit him for that matter

Lesnar submitting Carwin - UFC 116...i just didn't think either one could take the other down. plus they both had such power, i figured one would KO the other. that was almost the case, but Lesnar submitting someone was shocking at the time.

Pat Curran KOing Sandro - Bellator 48...I just didn't think Curran could out strike him. i either thought Sandro would KO him, pick him apart or Curran would take him down or sub him.

Matyushenko KOing Brilz - UFC 129...i thought for sure this would go to decision, and thought there was no way Vlad could KO Brilz ont he feet the way he did.

Matt Hughes submitting Almeida - UFC 117...i didn't think i would ever see Almeida be submitted in the UFC, and the way Hughes just put him to sleep was certainly shocking

Hallman KOing Karo - UFC 123...Hallman didn't have a TKO victory since 2003, and only 3 in his career (over 60 fights) so i was shocked when he KOed Karo so quick.

EDIT: i started writing this a while ago and didn't see someone else say Lesnar over Carwin

grappler0000
10/10/11 11:25:30PM
Randleman KO's CroCop

then

CroCop subs Randleman
Twenty20Dollars
10/11/11 12:16:22AM
Like the others that have been mentioned.

Stann getting a sub over Mass
Hughes subbing Ricardo

I'm trying to think of more w/o having to go back and look b/c that takes too long.
grappler0000
10/11/11 12:19:57AM
Speaking of Lesnar/Carwin and the subject at hand...

This was my prediction for a contest on another MMA website. If you'll notice the round and time, they ended up being an exact match to reality...only difference was that it ended in a sub, which I of coarse did not see coming. If I had only picked sub instead of TKO, I would have officially changed my username to grappstradamus.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Twenty20Dollars
10/11/11 12:21:35AM
oh i've got one, any hot bout that I try to pick...
KNIGHT
10/11/11 1:05:23AM

poppa_gump
10/11/11 1:06:09AM
Cheick Kongo KO's Pat Barry. Not cause of the knockout but the fact that Kongo woke up after getting abused by Barry.
pmoney
10/11/11 4:52:36AM
Some fights that blew my mind:

Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung II - I don't think anyone saw Jung subbing Garcia via twister. Too crazy!

Richard Hale vs. Nik Fekete - 6'4 Light Heavyweights pulling off inverted triangles is quite rare where I come from. When I saw Hale choke Fekete out with that triangle, I was shocked. And not just at how long the choke was on after Fekete was unconscious.

Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin - Franklin was on fire before he met Anderson Silva. And although Silva's massacre of Leben was an eye opener, I didn't think Silva could hang with Ace! One grotesque maiming later, a new champ was crowned, and a new legacy was born.

Nick Diaz vs. Paul Daley - That fight was insane. People forget Nick has KO power (see Diaz-Lawler), and this fight should remind some people Nick does. I had Nick to win, but I saw him picking Daley apart and getting a sub. That was one of the craziest first rounds ever.

Matt Hamill vs. Mark Munoz - Hamill delivering a head kick KO to Mark Munoz was, to me, about as improbable as Napao's KO over Cro Cop. Great highlight.

That's all I can remember. Lots of other great moments have been cited already, good thread and good lists.
Kpro
10/11/11 4:57:35AM

Posted by pmoney

Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung II - I don't think anyone saw Jung subbing Garcia via twister. Too crazy!

That's true, forgot about type of submission. I picked Diaz Rnd2 Sub over Gomi but never would've even considered that he'd pull off a gogoplata.

Glad I got to see the first Twister in the UFC live though
Poor_Franklin
10/11/11 5:11:14AM
The usual suspects:
Gonzaga KOing CC
Serra TKOing GSP
Lesnar subbing Carwin

i also never saw Shogun getting outstruck 102-11 in strikes vs Bones

emfleek
10/11/11 9:11:52AM
Rashad KO'ing Liddell.

Not many people (outside of gsquat) on this site thought Rashad, the wrestler, stood a chance against Liddell, the striker with magnificent TD defense.

Lights out. Easily one of the sickest KO's I've ever seen.
ncordless
10/11/11 9:33:19AM
Recently- Tito v Bader

All-time- Serra v GSP

Not Mentioned Yet: Penn v Hughes I
kopower
10/11/11 10:34:43AM
Griffin subbing Rua
ncordless
10/11/11 10:36:46AM

Posted by kopower

Griffin subbing Rua

Agreed.

And then beating Rampage, too.

warglory
10/11/11 10:51:06AM
Soko KOing Lil Nog and then Arona back to back. Quite shocking.
kingsmasher
10/11/11 10:56:13AM

Agreed...will never bet on Bader again...

Also Lauzon over Melvin especially within one minute...
kingsmasher
10/11/11 10:57:54AM

Never was high on Fedor but listening to teh masses...Never thouhgt...

A natural 185 Dan Henderson would faceplant Fedor on the mat...Who thought that..or the triangle by Werdum...
emfleek
10/11/11 10:58:08AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Really? I picked Melvin to win but I was torn. Had I picked Lauzon to win, I would have absolutely picked him to do so by submission.

You're right about how fast it happened but picking him to lose via submission wasn't far fetched at all.
Pookie
10/11/11 10:58:22AM
Aoki beating Cavalcante via Flying Guard
kingsmasher
10/11/11 11:00:45AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by kingsmasher

Really? I picked Melvin to win but I was torn. Had I picked Lauzon to win, I would have absolutely picked him to do so by submission.

You're right about how fast it happened but picking him to lose via submission wasn't far fetched at all.

I agree I just threw that in there..I mean the sub....I didnt mean that was a shocker I figured that was the only way to win for him...
kingsmasher
10/11/11 11:02:04AM
Fedor losing three in a ROW!!

Im surprised I read all posts and not a mention of Fedor...

Kinda sad that hes really fallen out of mind that quick...
Pages: [1] 2