The Fedor Saga: Deal confirmed, possibilities endless

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » The Fedor Saga: Deal confirmed, possibilities endless
LR
10/11/07 9:43:40AM
A good primer to all of the Fedor news circulating on the 'Net today. The article goes through some of the rumors, the possibilities, the analysis of the rumors, and has some updates to the newest news out there on the deal and who may be involved.

CLICK
Rush
10/11/07 9:52:32AM
Nice article. I'll finish it later, but so far looks interesting.

AchillesHeel
10/11/07 10:21:46AM
Hrm...

The Top 10 People I'd like to See Fedor Fight:
1. Josh Barnett
2. Randy Couture
3. Cro Cop
4. Andrei Arlovski
5. Tim Sylvia
6. Brandon Vera
7. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
8. ...
9. ...
10. ...

Well, here's hoping they can sign Josh Barnett, I guess. Ricco Rodriguez? Puh-lease. I've already seen Fedor humiliate an overweight, out of shape fighter.

Fedor's already defeated Hunt, and I'd rather see Hunt sign with the UFC, anyway. Ben Rothwell is out there now, too, but I hope he works things out with the IFL (I think he'd be a bug on Fedor's windshield, anyway). Maybe they can arrange a rematch for Matt Lindland.
mrsmiley
10/11/07 10:35:59AM
So Trigg added even more fuel to the fire he said he didn't believe it was Ed Cuban or Ed Fishman who sealed the deal.And their's the possiblity it was the WWE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if I belive that but that would be very crazy.
MMAnomale
10/11/07 10:46:15AM
This is crap. Depending on the org that is funding this M-1 deal, anybody but Zuffa will be horrible. I understand Fedor wanting money, staying in Russia, and a non-exclusive deal that'll let him fight in CombatSambo. However, the money issue is stupid because the UFC would've have paid him just as much probably. Now, we won't get to see Fedor fight REAL competition. Maybe Josh Barnett but other than that, it's a joke. This pisses me off so severely, it makes me want to take Fedor out of my #1 HW spot. Look, I would think that they (the UFC) would still let him fight in CombatSambo, and other than traveling, which is the same as what he done for Pride, it was the better deal. I mean, to cement his legacy, continuing to fight the best of the best would've done the job. Obviosly, he has fought an onslaught of damn good fighters in Pride and his legacy will still be damn good, but many will look down upon the fact that he didn't continue to fight the best. And there will always be the question of, what if..??.. What would've happened if he went to the UFC? And fought Couture?? Or Big Nog or CroCop again?? Or many others??

For the fans, this really sucks and I couldn't be more dissapointed. Hopefully, although doubtful, we'll soon learn that it's Zuffa that's funding this M-1 project, and he'll be able to fight fighters from other Zuffa company's, including the UFC. Or, maybe will get lucky and it'll turn out that none of this will actually transpire. I doubt it though. This deal is all but done. Apparently Trigg's sources were pretty adament. Also, I hope the WWE doesn't fund this. I hate that fake wrestling crap, always have, and always will. It's a joke, it's a soap opera for boys (not men), and any grown man that still watches it is pathetic. That's just my take on it.

IT IS A SAD DAY FOR HUMAN KIND, OR AT LEAST ALL OF MMA........

Oh, and as for the above post, it's MARK Cuban, not Ed. Cuban is cool, he's like a big kid. He owns the mavericks, attends most of the games, and really loves basketball. He was also trying to buy the Chicago Cubs but that deal probably isn't going to happen. He's already gotten into MMA, and actually held an event, I believe this past weekend, in Dallas, Texas.
Darnok
10/11/07 10:56:49AM
I guess if I said that this is a bad thing for MMA and the fans I would be .

But come on, what is he thinking. I am sure he could make a lot more than 10mil by becoming the champ in the UFC. I am really strating to think he is thinking retirement.
LR
10/11/07 11:31:47AM
To be honest, I don't see why Mark Cuban wouldn't try to ink a deal in purchasing M-1. He could potentially have control of a new international MMA organization and could co-promote between it and his own U.S. organization in HDNet fights. He could then sign Barnett to a HDNet fights Deal, and then begin to promote Barnett vs. Fedor. It'd be unbelievable. Plus, he'd add the talent pool of Russian and Eastern block country fighters with the addition of M-1 to his MMA promotions. He'd have a big talent pool, some great fighters, great up and coming fighters, and the ability to work in the U.S. and internationally, as well as having Finkelstein's contacts internationally to set up events.

The WWE rumor seems dumb, but considering WWE has lost a majority of its ratings to MMA events, it would seem logical for them to invest in an MMA venture to get some revenue flowing into the company. I doubt the WWE has purchased M-1, but the rumors are flying.
NatedawgThaM
10/11/07 11:34:16AM
Nice Read

I'm still praying Zuffa is that american entertainment company because I wanna see Fedor vs Randy and Fedor vs Big Nog 4....
loller90278
10/11/07 12:26:30PM
who could have bought m-1 ?

Elitexc & co - been on a tear recently acquiring cage rage and king of the cage, gaining a huge library of fighters, with a decent quality of putting up great shows in the near future.

Zuffa - what everyone is wishing is happening, for m-1 to be a daughter company under the fertitta brothers, where fedor can fight in russia and fight agaainst ufc fighters.

Ed Fishman - former US president of PRIDE FC, still looking to be in the mma game.

Mark Cuban - with his recent HDnet fights launched, cubans been stirring the pot with talks of signing fedor. with his money and passion for sports, i think he could rally up some good fights.

Vince Mcmahon - whoever said this is an idiot.
wapttn
10/11/07 12:37:48PM
i can see it now.. heavy weight championship of the world event scheduled for the superbowl weekend.. fedor Emelianenko vs Triple H.

this is a fcuking joke
LR
10/11/07 12:45:21PM

Posted by loller90278

who could have bought m-1 ?

Elitexc & co - been on a tear recently acquiring cage rage and king of the cage, gaining a huge library of fighters, with a decent quality of putting up great shows in the near future.

Zuffa - what everyone is wishing is happening, for m-1 to be a daughter company under the fertitta brothers, where fedor can fight in russia and fight agaainst ufc fighters.

Ed Fishman - former US president of PRIDE FC, still looking to be in the mma game.

Mark Cuban - with his recent HDnet fights launched, cubans been stirring the pot with talks of signing fedor. with his money and passion for sports, i think he could rally up some good fights.

Vince Mcmahon - whoever said this is an idiot.

ProElite seems like a good fit, but the financials are possibly a problem. Zuffa is definitely in there, although it seems unlikely. Ed Fishman was working with Cuban at one point, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

As ridiculous as the McMahon rumor is, they have money and are probably looking for a way to increase revenue after losing so many fans to MMA. Wrestlers are also crossing over at record rates. Who knows. He'll make it a spectacle though, which is ridiculous.
Rush
10/11/07 1:11:26PM
I have no quibbles about the WWE getting into MMA if they run it like a legitimate sport (MMA) and not their other product.

To say that this is bad unless Zuffa buys M-1 is being a little short sighted. I have no problems with accepting the fact that there are a number of great fighters out there in different organizations with different titles. Just because there are other big kids on the block doesn't mean the end of MMA. In fact I think it would be wonderful for the sport.
wapttn
10/11/07 1:23:47PM

Posted by Rush

I have no quibbles about the WWE getting into MMA if they run it like a legitimate sport (MMA) and not their other product.

To say that this is bad unless Zuffa buys M-1 is being a little short sighted. I have no problems with accepting the fact that there are a number of great fighters out there in different organizations with different titles. Just because there are other big kids on the block doesn't mean the end of MMA. In fact I think it would be wonderful for the sport.

you know whats great about having all the best talent in one sport? we get to see the best fight the best. Rankings are more legitimate. Higher quality fights. Lets say there were 10 mma promotions in the world, all run equally, with equal amounts of talent.. and all with exclusive contracts that kept fighters from fighting eachother. Imagine rashad vs bisping being the calibre of main event on every card. I'd say that the ideal situation is for all the good fighters to be under the same promotion as long as the promotion is properly run, and the match maker is intelligent. With the fighters on the market right now, this would probably give us two events per month. We'd get to see all the matchups we want to see, every divison would be considered Deeeeeep, a titleshot would be earned, and defending the title for more than one fight would really mean something.

Then you can have all these other promotions as farm teams and call them up to the big leagues when they're ready ^^

I dont know if anybody else agrees with that, but thats my ideal situation
Rush
10/11/07 3:34:29PM
Considering that some of the best fights I've seen in the past few months have included guys that are not the best of the best, I am not afraid of the talent spreading out in multiple organizations. There is only so much a single organization can do. Unless the UFC starts putting on two PPVs a month, they could eventually get too big and have divisions too deep to rank or have top fighters fighting infrequently.

I see your point, but personally I care little of rankings and titles. They mean nothing to me (just like Oscars) Like Oscars are for people in the movie business, rankings and titles are things are for the fighters. But that is just the kind of fan I am.

I don't think fighters will be kept from fighting each other. Fighters like the competition and would move on if their current organization failed to provide that for them. This is why I don't like contracts worth more than 4 fights at a time.

IMO, for MMA to be more established you need several successful organizations out there promoting it. You cannot successfully promote an event unless you have high calibre and well know fighters. You just can't.
Darnok
10/11/07 3:49:28PM

Posted by wapttn

you know whats great about having all the best talent in one sport? we get to see the best fight the best. Rankings are more legitimate. Higher quality fights. Lets say there were 10 mma promotions in the world, all run equally, with equal amounts of talent.. and all with exclusive contracts that kept fighters from fighting eachother. Imagine rashad vs bisping being the calibre of main event on every card. I'd say that the ideal situation is for all the good fighters to be under the same promotion as long as the promotion is properly run, and the match maker is intelligent. With the fighters on the market right now, this would probably give us two events per month. We'd get to see all the matchups we want to see, every divison would be considered Deeeeeep, a titleshot would be earned, and defending the title for more than one fight would really mean something.

Then you can have all these other promotions as farm teams and call them up to the big leagues when they're ready ^^

I dont know if anybody else agrees with that, but thats my ideal situation

And yet I find myself agreeing with you again.

This in effect would make it a real sport similar to other professional sports. I am sorry I don't want to see ten orgs all with there own champ. Then this will turn into boxing or Wrestling and we now how they ended up. UFC with their monopoly is what is getting things done in MMA.

LR
10/11/07 4:13:40PM
Here's an ironic twist.

People have sat around saying Fedor doesn't matter...

Reality Check, Randy Couture quit the UFC because they could not land Fedor Emelianenko.

I wonder if Couture will pursue a big matchup with him. It sounds from the Fight Network's article that they will not.
wapttn
10/11/07 5:22:47PM
definately a trippy situation.. but i still question its validity. Does this honestly seem like the randy couture we all know and love? To bail on his millions of fans for a movie career, and ditch the ufc which has made him north america's new lovable icon? All because they couldnt land fedor? And you think he would release this statement through such a dubious means one day after an anonymous source said fedor was signed else where?

all sounds a little sketchy to me

also as i was discussing ealier regarding rush's post.. i understand what you mean about the quality and excitement of fights comming form these other promotions and the quality of fights comming before rankings and title. I totally agree with you on that. I'd much rather see griffin/guida2 than see sylvia defend his title against monson again. But with too many promotions, you're not gonna see the fights that you wanna see. Imagine the fights that probably would've never happened had the ufc not bought pride (wanderlei/chuck). Imagine the fights that probably wont happen because the fighters are locked down in other organizations(fedor/randy). If i didnt know anything about the fighters and didnt follow them, then a good fight would be a good fight, but once you start following them.. you're not content with them mauling noname opponents over and over
LR
10/11/07 7:18:50PM
It's all pretty much confirmed. Gross at Sherdog, I believe, got in contact with him and actually has a bunch of quotes regarding the money situation.
Rush
10/11/07 10:57:03PM

Posted by Darnok
UFC with their monopoly is what is getting things done in MMA.

Obviously not.
Darnok
10/16/07 11:20:34AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Darnok
UFC with their monopoly is what is getting things done in MMA.

Obviously not.

I take it you stoped watching UFC because cage rage is so much better..

If not then what are we watching. I have been watching UFC and Pride since before most of you were born. Does anybody think we would even be watching MMA without UFC.