Evgeni Kogan Calls Report Of M-1 Global Collapse "Totally Made Up"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Evgeni Kogan Calls Report Of M-1 Global Collapse "Totally Made Up"
DCRage
7/6/10 1:09:44PM
The mixed martial arts community has been waiting for the other shoe to drop after top ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko suffered his first defeat in nine years at the hands of Fabricio Werdum on Showtime's June 26 Strikeforce card in San Jose. While the fighter will likely rebound, what about Strikeforce? Or M-1 Global -- who may have placed all their financial eggs in the Russian's basket? According to a report from MMA Fighting, "The Last Emperor's" promotional organization "is in disarray" after the former PRIDE champion's defeat, even closing its head office in the Netherlands as investors begin to jump ship at the prospect of M-1 losing their negotiating power. UFC President Dana White, who was obsessed with the acquisition of Emelianenko, has publicly stated he now has "zero interest" in signing the WAMMA kingpin, who lost some of his mystique following the Werdum loss. From blank checks to "no thanks" is a tough spot to be in from a bargaining standpoint, especially with just one fight remaining on Emelianenko's current Strikeforce contract. Yet M-1 Global's Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan is not giving the article much credence, telling Luke Thomas at Bloody Elbow the report is "100-percent made up."

Article
ncordless
7/6/10 1:26:08PM
Hmm, should be some interesting blogs today.
grappler0000
7/6/10 2:28:07PM
Well, that's pretty much the exact response I would expect, so we'll see. I do recall $kala saying something similar.
bjj1605
7/6/10 2:47:49PM
its selfish of me, but man I hope M1 dies.
grappler0000
7/6/10 3:07:41PM

Posted by bjj1605

Well, it may be for selfish reasons, but the death of M-1 would benefit MMA as a whole for sure.
ncordless
7/6/10 3:09:57PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by bjj1605

Well, it may be for selfish reasons, but the death of M-1 would benefit MMA as a whole for sure.

Kind of. I'd like to see the part of M-1 that is Fedor's management die, but the M-1 cards around the world are good for exposing mma to eastern Europe and Asia and I hope they go on somehow.
grappler0000
7/6/10 3:46:40PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by bjj1605

Kind of. I'd like to see the part of M-1 that is Fedor's management die, but the M-1 cards around the world are good for exposing mma to eastern Europe and Asia and I hope they go on somehow.

I'd love to see that as well...just from a different group of individuals. IMO there isn't enough good to justify the bad.
BeeR
7/6/10 5:01:53PM
I can guarantee Dana would still sign Fedor if he could.
Carwin got submitted by Brock Lesnar, SUBMITTED BY LESNAR! and you dont see him trashing Shane or throwing out his contract, Fedor got caught and submitted by one of the best BJJ guys in the business.

Even if M-1 closes up shop, Fedor will still fight.
BustedKnuckle
7/6/10 5:25:41PM
I can only hope Evgeni is just scrambling before the end!? Most of theirs cons outweighed the pros, and I cant say it will bother me if they have gone belly-up.....allegedly!
grappler0000
7/6/10 5:27:17PM

Posted by BeeR

Carwin got submitted by Brock Lesnar, SUBMITTED BY LESNAR! and you dont see him trashing Shane or throwing out his contract, Fedor got caught and submitted by one of the best BJJ guys in the business.

I think he would sign him too...just not right now. And of coarse for a completely different contract than was previously offered. Right now, Fedor is a fighter that's 1-1 in Strikeforce. Forget for a minute that he was the best HW in the world just 2 weeks ago. Dana doesn't want to sign guys that lose in Strikeforce...at least not guys that he'll be selling as top talent anyway. In time, I'm sure his opinion on the matter will change, but that's where we're at right now.
icantthinkofanything
7/6/10 6:47:23PM
I think Fedor will still fight if M-1 dies. No shame in a submission loss, however Fedors stock has dropped imo, and I think DW wants him at a regular price or not at all.The problem is Fedor losing in SF. I think he should be signed anyway, he could fight Gonzaga first, since they both lost to Werdum.
I think the org. and the ranking of fighter is important in comparing Fedor and Carwins loss. Werdum is not ranked as high as Lesnar, and no one ever said Lesnar or Carwin were the best p4p fighters. The odds were 50-50, with Fedor the odds were prolly 10 -1 idk...I think since Fedor was not only considered the # 1 hw, but also # 1 p4p, his loss does way more damage to his ranking and stock than Carwin's ranking or stock.
Getting submitted by Lesnar was a big suprise, but I would expect more subs in the future. he got it on the first try, did it quick and set it up perfect ...props to Lesnar.

bjj1605
7/6/10 10:58:43PM

Posted by icantthinkofanything

I would expect more subs in the future. he got it on the first try, did it quick and set it up perfect ...props to Lesnar.

What I saw was a very very sloppy arm triangle attempt that was applied so poorly that it took him at least half a minute to get the tap. He still didn't have the choke on well at the end but he's so strong and Carwin was so gassed that it was enough.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Lesnar, I'm glad he's trying to evolve. But lets be realistic with what we saw
RearNakedJoke
7/6/10 11:35:01PM

Posted by BeeR

The difference is Carwin put a 5 min beating on lesnar before getting subbed. Fedor put on about 1.5 minutes of sloppy punches.
BeeR
7/7/10 6:10:51AM
uhhhh no,, fedor threw an overhand to a downed BJJ MASTER and got caught and that was it.

Carwin got caught in the worst arm triangle Ive ever seen that people with no TV in pakistan saw coming, carwin had ample time turn into Lesnar, he just had 0 gas.