Daniel Cormier injured, out of UFC 206 main event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Daniel Cormier injured, out of UFC 206 main event
Five-Alive
11/25/16 12:58:00PM
UFC 206 is need of a new main event.

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier has been forced to withdraw from his Dec. 10 title fight against Anthony Johnson due to an injury, MMA Fighting has confirmed with multiple sources. The promotion is currently working on a new headliner, however, nothing is finalized just yet. The plan, as of right now, is to keep Johnson on the card.

Link
prozacnation1978
11/25/16 1:26:20PM
Not suprised.

Cormier hasnt defended since last oct of 2015.

Time for a interim title for rumble.

Push it back to 208 anaheim.
Five-Alive
11/25/16 1:43:58PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Not suprised.

If Rumble fought for an interim belt, it would be on this card. This card is hot garbage, without a title fight this is the type of ppv card that would either get cancelled altogether or turned into a fight night.

The UFC 206 card now includes:

Anthony Johnson vs. TBA
Max Holloway vs. Anthony Pettis
Matt Brown vs. Donald Cerrone
Tim Kennedy vs. TBA
Dooho Choi vs. Cub Swanson
Misha Cirkunov vs. Nikita Krylov
Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Drew Dober
Valerie Letourneau vs. Viviane Pereira
John Makdessi vs. Lando Vannata
Rustam Khabilov vs. Jason Saggo
Mitch Gagnon vs. Matthew Lopez
Zach Makovsky vs. Dustin Ortiz
Emil Meek vs. Jordan Mein

It wouldn't surprise me if they took Cruz/Garbrandt and moved it from UFC 207 to UFC 206 to try and save it as a ppv.

The other champions without a fight who would be physically ready to defend their belts on short notice are Bisping, Aldo and Miocic. I doubt they do Miocic and idk if Bisping will take it, even though he was wanting to defend his belt on here a month ago. And Aldo, I strongly doubt it.

It's either an interim title bout, or they back Might Mouse up a week or they move Cruz/Garbrandt back from 207 to 206....or they cancel the card.
prozacnation1978
11/25/16 2:09:28PM
I could see them pulling mouse off tuf finale have them main event it.

With cruz fight i doubt they take the fight on 2 weeks notice just knowing thanksgiving just filled them up yesterday.

More likely fight night.

Pull rumble off it. Reschedule it for 210 vegas likely
Five-Alive
11/25/16 2:31:25PM
Without a title fight, it'll either be canceled altogether or turned into a fight night, no doubt. But they have options, we'll see what they do. I think they get a title (interim or undisputed) on this card somehow and keep it a ppv.
jae_1833
11/25/16 2:46:01PM
I am all for an interim if it takes more than a year to defend a title. Rumble vs Bader for the interim belt.
teejay68
11/25/16 3:59:33PM
Moving mighty mouse to 206 seems like the only thing that makes sense to save that ppv, rumble vs bader for an interim belt makes sense too. those 2 fights should save the ppv.
prozacnation1978
11/25/16 5:51:13PM

Posted by teejay68

Moving mighty mouse to 206 seems like the only thing that makes sense to save that ppv, rumble vs bader for an interim belt makes sense too. those 2 fights should save the ppv.

Bader is a free agent.

He gets what he wants. A big fat check and a title shot if he takes the fight on short notice
emfleek
11/25/16 6:35:30PM
Conor vs. Rumble

Gotta do it.

shaneTpain
11/25/16 6:52:54PM
Bader or Manuwa would be great fights. Maybe a heavyweight fight? Dang what a bummer
sparky
11/25/16 9:29:31PM

Posted by shaneTpain

Bader or Manuwa would be great fights. Maybe a heavyweight fight? Dang what a bummer

Ya bro huge bummer I will be attending this event with the lil man and I am so dissappointed now .... Its his first live fight and now they ruined the main event/title fight we were looking forward to
Volcano1990
11/25/16 10:49:09PM
I know this would never happen because hes about to fight for the mw title but imagine Yoel Romero moved up to light heavy and fought Johnson, that fight would be sick with a nasty KO for sure.
Wallass
11/25/16 11:27:12PM

Posted by Volcano1990

I know this would never happen because hes about to fight for the mw title but imagine Yoel Romero moved up to light heavy and fought Johnson, that fight would be sick with a nasty KO for sure.

You sir are a genius!
Five-Alive
11/25/16 11:27:36PM
nvm
Volcano1990
11/25/16 11:31:58PM

Posted by Wallass

Posted by Volcano1990

You sir are a genius!

thanks man, check out my cool awesome bizzare fights post on general mma forums, let me know your picks or favorite 1 of those fights :)
Five-Alive
11/25/16 11:36:27PM
Here's the update on the whole situation regarding UFC 206 (via. Ariel Helwani).

"206, early plan was to do Rumble-Mousasi, but I'm told Rumble wasn't interested and wants to wait for DC. As of now, he's opponent-less."

"As of now, plan is Anthony Pettis vs. Max Holloway for the interim 145 lbs. title happening 12/10 in Toronto. That's what the UFC wants."

"That's per multiple sources. Should they finalize it, & it's close, Jose Aldo would become the new 145 lbs champ. McGregor? That's, well..."

"UFC has been pushing to strip McGregor of the 145 title for some time. Legally, they can. Would be interesting to see how he responds."
Volcano1990
11/25/16 11:37:52PM

Posted by Five-Alive

Here's the update on the whole situation regarding UFC 206 (via. Ariel Helwani).

"206, early plan was to do Rumble-Mousasi, but I'm told Rumble wasn't interested and wants to wait for DC. As of now, he's opponent-less."

"As of now, plan is Anthony Pettis vs. Max Holloway for the interim 145 lbs. title happening 12/10 in Toronto. That's what the UFC wants."

"That's per multiple sources. Should they finalize it, & it's close, Jose Aldo would become the new 145 lbs champ. McGregor? That's, well..."

"UFC has been pushing to strip McGregor of the 145 title for some time. Legally, they can. Would be interesting to see how he responds."

I would like seeing rumble vs mousasi
handyman293
11/26/16 12:01:21AM

Posted by Five-Alive

As entertaining as Connor is, he should be stripped of that 145 belt. Aldo has seemed to have a slight change of heart as of late, so let Max get his well earned shot at a interim belt.

I'd love to see Rumble and Gegard, I don't think rumble will sign it though.
tildengolfer
11/26/16 3:45:19AM

Posted by Five-Alive

Without a title fight, it'll either be canceled altogether or turned into a fight night, no doubt. But they have options, we'll see what they do. I think they get a title (interim or undisputed) on this card somehow and keep it a ppv.

I am not familiar with TV protocol but wouldn't it prove difficult to pull of PPV and move to free TV? I would imagine that cable has a strict regimented programming schedule.
jay98107
11/26/16 4:31:45AM

Posted by Five-Alive

Interesting to see how McGregor responds to being stripped? I'm sure he will have lots to say but you can't have 4 consecutive fights without defending that strap. This is just stupid at this point. The real sham is that he will get to be the first simultaneous multi division champ with no defenses while having that accolade.
prozacnation1978
11/26/16 6:43:38AM
Rumble is gonna wait.

Dc target is march. Ufc 210 vegas.
210 will probably get this and another title.

Im not really that interested in seeing this again live
JLS
11/26/16 12:57:51PM

Posted by Five-Alive

Posted by prozacnation1978

Not suprised.

If Rumble fought for an interim belt, it would be on this card. This card is hot garbage, without a title fight this is the type of ppv card that would either get cancelled altogether or turned into a fight night.

The UFC 206 card now includes:

Anthony Johnson vs. TBA
Max Holloway vs. Anthony Pettis
Matt Brown vs. Donald Cerrone
Tim Kennedy vs. TBA
Dooho Choi vs. Cub Swanson
Misha Cirkunov vs. Nikita Krylov
Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Drew Dober
Valerie Letourneau vs. Viviane Pereira
John Makdessi vs. Lando Vannata
Rustam Khabilov vs. Jason Saggo
Mitch Gagnon vs. Matthew Lopez
Zach Makovsky vs. Dustin Ortiz
Emil Meek vs. Jordan Mein

It wouldn't surprise me if they took Cruz/Garbrandt and moved it from UFC 207 to UFC 206 to try and save it as a ppv.

The other champions without a fight who would be physically ready to defend their belts on short notice are Bisping, Aldo and Miocic. I doubt they do Miocic and idk if Bisping will take it, even though he was wanting to defend his belt on here a month ago. And Aldo, I strongly doubt it.

It's either an interim title bout, or they back Might Mouse up a week or they move Cruz/Garbrandt back frPPPV 207 to 206hypx.or they cancel the card.

Are you saying pull Cruz vs Cody to save 206?

You can't say it's a good idea to shuffle cards sometimes but not others. That is called being a hypocrite.

They need a new Headliner is all. Calm down. Pettis/Holloway, Cerrone/Brown, Choi/Swanson, Krylov/Cirkunov is a solid supporting cast to a PPV.
JLS
11/26/16 1:03:25PM
They should just let do Conor do whatever he wants right?

I mean he talks so intelligently, and is only slightly argent.

I mean just get a career ending injury ffs's and business as usual.